Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A big thanks to the great people here

Dear Folks -
    I just wanted to say thank you for all the caring, concerned feedback I received during the last few weeks.

In a nutshell, my 6-year old Chocolate Lab, Chewbacca, was diagnosed with diabetes 5/31/11 and later, liver cancer on 6/24/11. Getting to know the wonderful, kind folks on this website was a blessing. Chewbacca made his final journey 6/29/11 and we miss him, think about him, and love him every day.

This was one of the worst times in my life and, no doubt, in Chewie's, too. He was a big, goofy, loving, funny, sweet boy to the very end. I am glad I was able to share his story and to receive such helpful support from k9diabetes.com. It helps (and continues to help) every day.

An important thing I learned from this was that it's very helpful to have an ultrasound/x-ray done to determine all relevant health issues. When we finally got to that point in late June, Chewbacca's underlying issue (cancer) was revealed. Chewie's doc asked me if I'd had Chewie his whole life - I said actually, no, I found Chewie as a stray when he was approximately 1 year old. The doc said the x-ray revealed a pellet in Chewie's abdomen - I guess when he was living his rough life as a stray in Texas, someone mean plunked him with a bb pellet to scare him away. Terrible, but true. So, Chewie carried that pellet around with him for years. While the doc said the pellet didn't necessarily cause Chewie's cancer, I can't help but think carrying around a piece of metal (probably lead) in your body for years has some bearing on health issues.

I wish I had found out earlier, but there was no cause to have Chewie x-rayed or ultrasounded earlier - never any health issues other than a bout with reverse sneezing years ago (allergies) that never recurred. Not to be a big goof, but I am planning on taking my two terrier girls, Daisy and Sassy, for ultrasounds at some time over the next few months. They seem to be in perfect health, but I'm all about preventative stuff now.

So much for my two cents...thank you again for all your kind thoughts and words. Our family appreciates it.

Rachel

Re: A big thanks to the great people here

Thanks for your note Rachel. I agree that an ultrasound is an excellent tool. We were fortunate that our vet does ultrasounds as a specialty too so he was able to do them for us and was very knowledgeable about them plus was affordable.

I was always thrilled to know that I'd wasted my money on an ultrasound that found nothing!!

Wow... to find a pellet in poor Chewie. That would show up on an x-ray too it seems. You really were Chewie's savior. I'm so glad you found him and took him in.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
    X