No announcement yet.

Can a turtle live with a cracked shell?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a turtle live with a cracked shell?

On my way back from lunch, I saw a small (about 8-9 inches) turtle attempting to cross a busy, hilly, two-lane street. I immediately made a left hand turn into a school administration building's parking lot and then realized I couldn't climb back up the hill fast enough to keep another car from hitting it. This is smack dab in the middle of a University's campus.

I started yelling to on-coming cars and waving my arms. Of course, one of those deeply engrossed cell phone drivers had to hit the poor thing. I got up the hill and managed to stop a truck and picked up the turtle. It was attempting to bite me, but I got it back onto the grass by the school building. Then I noticed I had blood on my hands and that the shell was deeply cracked. It could walk, but think maybe a back leg was broken.

What do you think its chances for survival might be? I was shaking and crying when I got back into my car. I was so angry that the driver of the SUV didn't even attempt not to hit it.

Bonnie and Angel Criss Ann

Re: Can a turtle live with a cracked shell?

oh Bonnie how upsetting. We have so many turtles crossing the road right now I am always worried I am going to hit one.

can you call a vet?
    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

i think there is a good chance if your willing to watch over him for a bit and let nature run its coarse

i saw a coyote last year with a bad leg i was so worried about him saw him a week later and was perfectly fine

such a nice gesture on your part bonnie we need more people like you in the world
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

So sad Bonnie. Turtle shells are bone as I understand it and take a long time to repair if there are no other injuries and infection doesn't occur.

Here's a What to do article I found if finding an injured turtle: http://www.gctts.org/RehabbingTurtles/index.html

And an article on a turtle from the SPCA that was helped http://www.humanesociety.org/news/ne...new_shell.html

Poor little guy. Glad you were able to move him.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

aw Bonnie, thank goodness you were there to help as much as you could.

I've been in similar situations where I've stood in the street flagging traffic away from a cat or dog....a very heartbreaking and frustrating situation for sure.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Well, I got a box and went back after him when I got off work. Discovered he's a true snapping turtle, the kind that can break your bones! I took him to my local vet and he doesn't treat reptiles and told me where I could take him. However, that vet was pretty far away and I elected to take the turtle home. I set him out down the hill in my woods and tried to get the cats to avoid him by demonstrating his power to snap one-inch sticks in half. I put out a dish of water and another with cat food and kale from my garden.

This morning he'd moved about 6 feet into the woods and all the food was gone although I don't know it was the turtle that ate it.

I read on the internet that they can survive with cracked shells as long as they don't get infection. We'll just see how it goes.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

ooohhh, Bonnie, exactly what I would have done too ;-), bless your heart for giving this fellow a chance.

Am imagining your 'demonstration' and can't help but smile. Would it be possible to get some antibiotics from your vet and see if you could put it in some food and set it in front of 'Tommy the Turtle' (ok ok, that was my pet turtle's name as a child).

You are very special!

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Oh Bonnie! How sad for the little guy! Do they have wildlife rescues in your state? That's what we do when we find an injured animal. We call and hopefully someone in a rescue group can come and take care of it. You can check under your state's wildlife/forestry/hunting section on their website. Wildlife rehab I think it's called. Otherwise, I think what you are doing is for the best! Maybe try some antibiotics? Good luck and keep us in the loop! Hugs!
                Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Originally posted by Shellie View Post
                  Oh Bonnie! How sad for the little guy! Do they have wildlife rescues in your state? That's what we do when we find an injured animal. We call and hopefully someone in a rescue group can come and take care of it. You can check under your state's wildlife/forestry/hunting section on their website. Wildlife rehab I think it's called. Otherwise, I think what you are doing is for the best! Maybe try some antibiotics? Good luck and keep us in the loop! Hugs!
                  Good thinking, Shellie!, I once found a baby owl and called a Wildlife Rescue Organization to come and pick it up.

...believe it of not when the police arrived they wanted to shoot it...damn small town cop!

Comment

Eileen,

Did the cop think a baby owl was dangerous? That made me laugh. However, the nearest wildlife rehabitator for reptiles is all the way in Little Rock, which is about 200 miles from me. I need to get 'Tommy' (actually, it's probably a female that was trying to move to lay eggs) down the hill to the creek.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Originally posted by bgdavis View Post
                      Eileen,

Did the cop think a baby owl was dangerous? That made me laugh. However, the nearest wildlife rehabitator for reptiles is all the way in Little Rock, which is about 200 miles from me. I need to get 'Tommy' (actually, it's probably a female that was trying to move to lay eggs) down the hill to the creek.

Bonnie and Angel Criss
                      The baby owl was cornered in my yard with it reacting instinctively by lunging out at anyone that tried to get near it.
                      The officer drew his gun with me hollering, "what the heck!'.....well, not those exact words as you can imagine ;-)
                      I was able to get it into a cage and held it for the Wildlife people who came the next day.

Too bad such an organization is so far from you....Tomathina is certainly lucky to have you in her corner.

I once rescued a Kangaroo Rat (baby) whose mother and littermates were killed. Named him 'Herbie', he lived 7 years with me.
                      When he died I felt as awful as when losing a pet cat or dog.
                      Last edited by eileen; 06-22-2012, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'm sorry to report that the rescued turtle did not make it. Apparently its injuries were worse than I thought. It was expired when I got home from work yesterday afternoon. I had thought it stood a chance as it was so 'feisty' the day it was hit. I had attempted to rehydrate it at noon by making a puddle of water for him to lie in and he had responded.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Awe, I'm sorry to hear it Bonnie. At least you gave him a chance.
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

You gave it every try and it died in a puddle instead of on the highway. Hugs
                            Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Aw, sorry to hear that! But at least you did give him a chance! And he didn't die out somewhere all alone...he was cared for before he passed. Every little bit helps with these little people. Hugs!
                              Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Working...
                              X