Humulin N vs Novolin N

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humulin N vs Novolin N

Almost finished with my last vial of Humulin N.

Did you find the Novolin to be a bit stronger or a bit weaker than the Humulin product?

Looks like Otis will be making the switch this evening or tomorrow morning.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Re: Humulin N vs Novolin N

As best I can figure the novolin has been about the same in Ruby or a little weaker. There are a lot of variable in her case though. She was on a different insulin in-between and had gained some weight in the interim.

Some folks have have a problem with it being stronger though, Judi with Jenny the thread is "11 yr old poodle" I think. Cebe also recently switched and discussed it on her thread.

Good luck.... How have Otis's legs been lately, is he still lame? I hope he has gotten some relief.

Tara
    Tara in honor of Ruby.
    She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
    Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Started Tiggy yesterday and tested all day long . Definately seemed weaker... Numbers were running higher and were going up and down all day nadir was 4 hours later than with the Humilin

Did a curve on the first day of it but am going to do another one at the end of the week after she settles into it. Btw I left her dose the same, did not reduce it as others have. I was going to but figured I was home all day so......

Sandy

Comment

Hi Bill: it is stronger for Jenny. we were just under 2 units of Humulin and using 1.25 of Novolin she has sometimes had some pretty low lows in the morning.

But my unsubstantiated theory is also that if she is active it wears out before 12 hours and we have had some 300+ readings before her 6pm meal.

I don't think Cebe's Zoe had any lows at all. Sandy just started Tiggy yesterday, hopefully she'll see this.

Based on my 41 reading with Jenny after only backing off .25 (remember her dose is low cause her cortisol is low), if I were you I'd err on the side of caution and back him off for a little bit.

Hugs to Otis, hope he is feeling better! Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

For Mildred the Novolin N was a bit stronger...as was the rapid acting, Novolog over Humalog.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

Bill I had a fasting of 409 this morning!! So I don't know if she dipped too low during the night but my hunch is that she spiked and kept climbing with the way her numbers read yesterday!! Back to the drawing board

Sandy

Comment

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
              As best I can figure the novolin has been about the same in Ruby or a little weaker.
              Tara
              Originally posted by SandyL View Post
              Started Tiggy yesterday and tested all day long . Definately seemed weaker.
              ..Sandy
              Originally posted by Judi View Post
              Hi Bill: it is stronger for Jenny. we were just under 2 units of Humulin and using 1.25 of Novolin she has sometimes had some pretty low lows in the morning.
              Judi
              Originally posted by eileen View Post
              For Mildred the Novolin N was a bit stronger...as was the rapid acting, Novolog over Humalog.
              Looks like a split. I believe I'll stay on the safe side and lower his dose a bit to 10U & 10.5U and see what happens. I'll let you know how he does.

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
              How have Otis's legs been lately, is he still lame? I hope he has gotten some relief.
              Tara
              The legs are a bit better, still favoring the left front - not as bad though.
              Last edited by farrwf; 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM.
              Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Annie made the switch to Novolin insulins on 11-1. I reduced the N from 7.0 that I had recently been giving (Humulin-N) to 6.75 of Novolin-N for safety. The multiple tests on 11-1 and 11-2 looked "high-normal". Tweaked the Novolin-N up to 7.0 on 11-3 because nadir was mid-high 100s and the insulin seemed to be running out by +9ish.

Annie had an eye appointment on 11-5 and confirmed an eye infection. She was put on Tobramycin (one week to go on the treatment). Her BG readings increased, and I've increased the Novolin-N every 3-4 days; now getting 8.25 units of Novolin-N. Can't be sure if the increase was caused by the Tobramycin, or what.

Gotta go buy several more boxes of test strips! We won't worry much until she if off the Tobramycin for a few days.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigM View Post
                  • Annie made the switch to Novolin insulins on 11-1. I reduced the N from 7.0 that I had recently been giving (Humulin-N) to 6.75 of Novolin-N for safety. The multiple tests on 11-1 and 11-2 looked "high-normal". Tweaked the Novolin-N up to 7.0 on 11-3 because nadir was mid-high 100s and the insulin seemed to be running out by +9ish.
                  • Annie had a confirmed eye infectionon 11-5 . She was put on Tobramycin (one week to go on the treatment). Her BG readings increased, and I've increased the Novolin-N every 3-4 days; now getting 8.25 units of Novolin-N. Can't be sure if the increase was caused by the Tobramycin, or what.

Looks like that eye infection is muddling your results and you probably won't get reliable reads until it passes..

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                    [/LIST]

Looks like that eye infection is muddling your results and you probably won't get reliable reads until it passes..
                    That's what I'm thinking. I've looked Tobramycin up on the Internet and haven't found any definitive statement that it will affect BG, but as we know just about anything that enters the mouth, eyes, ears may make things interesting.

I looked back two years in her logbook when she was using Novolin-N (before Walmart switched to Humulin) and she was using about 8 units, but she was on different food and a boat-load of eye drops.

I think you've got the right idea to back off the dosage a little for the first day or two. I'd be interested how you find the duration, if it runs out a few hours earlier.
                    Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Glad O's leg is a bit better Bill.

Ali had a stronger response initially when I switched her from Humulin to Novolin last Jan. Then she wound up on the same dose as before. I think I posted some numbers in the other thread on this. http://www.k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2476
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

It has been weaker for Zoe and I wonder if it runs out sooner. Frankly I'm annoyed with it. I don't need another math headache right now.

I plan to do a second curve on Zoe soon since I raised her to 13. Btw, i was giving 12.5 of humulin before. I upped it to 13 after the first curve. I think her water consumption is a bit higher but I also just turned the heat on in the house so that could be a factor in her water consumption and the depletionof the bowl.

Anyway, I give novolin a c-. I think it's not as consistent as humulin.
                        Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

I agree - not to impressed with Novolin.
                          Gigi - 11.5 year old Jack Russell/Beagle mix - dx 11/11, hypothyroid dx 8/23/12 | Insulin: Novolin N | Frequency: 2x's per day | Dosage: 4-5 units, depends on the day | Blood Glucose Meter: Alpha Trak 2 | Typical BG Readings: 100-200| Regulation: Doing great! | Celebrating 11 years together, 3.5 of those as diabetic |

Comment

I'm draining this last vial of Humulin N, ... almost out.

Comment

Hattie is almost out of her Humilin N too..So went to Walmart and asked for Humilin N..They said they didn't carry it anymore..sooo I got the Novolin again..Last time it was so much weaker then the Humilin N...Back to trying to figure out the right dose for a dog that is difficult to manage to begin with....) ;

Comment

Working...
                              X