No announcement yet.

When to feed and when to give insulin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to feed and when to give insulin?

We give our buddy a shot of insulin every twelve hours. We feed him first and then the shot. This is what the vet told us to do. In the years past we had another dog with diabetes but the vet told us to give shot twice a day but never instructed to give after eating. Just wandering how you guys do your feeding and insulin?
    Glenda P.

Re: When to feed and when to give insulin?

I feed Jake twice a day and he gets his insulin right after eating or sometimes while he is eating.

Jake
    13 years old, diagnosed Sept. 24, 2012
    At the rainbow bridge, Nov. 12, 2016

Comment

well you may get many different answers to that but the standard and especially starting out is 12 and 12 shot after food which works well for many

for jesse that did not work so she gets 3 shots one meal and a mid morning snack which works well for her

this disease is so dog individual and you can get so many different responses from the disease it can be very misunderstood
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Most inject either soon after, or during, the meal. The main idea about injecting at these times is to be sure the pup is going to eat the entire meal. Of course, if they don't eat the entire meal, we would reduce the insulin. A common approach would be to give:
        Full meal = full dosage
        3/4 meal = 3/4 dosage
        1/2 meal = 1/2 dosage
        1/4, or less meal = 1/4 dosage.
        These are just guesstimates, always best to get them to eat their proper meal.

I have varied this from time-to-time. I have given Annie her insulin 30 minutes early if her fasting blood glucose test was high (400+), or 30 minutes late if her test was low (70-); but to be honest, this didn't really seem to make any difference.

Probably best to inject right after eating, unless your pup has a habit of throwing up their food.
        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Hey there, I inject right after doing the fasting test and right befor I feed.

Tara
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by glendapalmer View Post
            We give our buddy a shot of insulin every twelve hours. We feed him first and then the shot. This is what the vet told us to do. In the years past we had another dog with diabetes but the vet told us to give shot twice a day but never instructed to give after eating. Just wandering how you guys do your feeding and insulin?
            Welcome!!

I personally feed and give injection immediatly after

Unfortunately, a lot of Vets aren't well versed on diabetes believe it or not, and you wil get different info from each one. It seems that it's a small segment of their training that some master better than others.

Insulin works with whatever food that is given...so generally its the reason to feed either before or right after an injection.

Sandy

Comment

I prefer to give it immediately after because I can draw it up while he's eating and it is part of the routine. If I thought he might not feel well or eat all of the meal though, I would definitely wait a few minutes before injecting.

Comment

Working...
              X