Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all this...my pug was diagnosed 3 weeks ago

Hi!

My pug, Pudge, was recently diagnosed with Diabetes. She was on prednisone and the drinking didn't stop, blood sugars were high (550) and she also was hit with Pyometra so she was spayed immediately. 3 days after her spay we started insulin with 3 units at 530a-530p. We started her insulin on October 22nd 2012. Her first curve was 2 weeks ago and her bloods were rock solid all day at 100. She was doing great until 2 days ago when she got her morning dose with breakfast and within 30 minutes she was disoriented and uncoordinated with what I can only assume was a severe low. I brought her in right away at 8am and they did another curve and she was again rock solid at 100 all day. Vet reduced from 3 units to 1.5 units twice a day. Two doses went by without a hitch, then last night she got her 1.5 with dinner and she again within 30 minutes all wonky again. Have call into vet this morning and didn't give her a shot because we are wondering if her sugars were messed up from the prednisone and pyometra. Now that she is spayed and off the prednisone her sugars seem to be good.

Any thoughts on this? I mean I understand it could be honeymooning or it could be (we are hoping) that the steroid and massive infection and wonky hormones could have been the reasoning for this all.

Input is greatly appreciated...again we are new to this all.

Thanks so much!!!

Re: New to all this...my pug was diagnosed 3 weeks ago

Yes, it's possible that she only has transient diabetes, but it's also possible she's honeymooning, etc.

Do you have the curve numbers and can you share them?

I haven't dealt with this, but it's my understanding that spaying can make a huge difference in a diabetic dog.

The numbers from both curves would be really helpful.
    Zoe: 12 yr old Black Lab/shepherd mix. Diagnosed 6/1/11. Currently on 15 units Novolin NPH 2x day, and hopefully as close to regulated as possible. Feeding merrick Grain Free Salmon and Sweet Potato. Weight 63lbs.

Comment

hi and welcome

you do have some clues that your pup is still producing insulin having such stable blood sugar so early on and most never have normal blood sugar for there entire lives dogs tend to fluctuate with blood sugar during the day outside of what you would see with normal blood sugar

a substantial reduction in dose of insulin still sees normal blood sugar and a low blood sugar event

as cebe said spayinig can help you do want to periodicallty check blood sugar to see if this is just temprary

its not a bad idea to home test just to catch if something changes in blood sugar

my jesse had the same problem at the beginning but she remained diabetic we may have waited to long to take her in and you guys may have caught early before your pup became permanently diabetic only time will tell
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Abby honeymooned initially. She was newly diagnosed, and her dosage was 10 units once a day. We eventually moved her to 2x a day @ 5 units.

After about one month, she honeymooned, but the honeymoon, only lasted about 2 weeks, and she went back on insulin.

I suppose time with tell, and with Pudge now spayed, and off of the medication, it may have been transient diabetes. Hopefully it is just a little blip, and nothing permanent.
        Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

Welcome to the site! You'll get good advice here.
          Buddy is a 7 year old miniature Schnauzer who originally weighed 30 pounds and now weighs 21 pounds. He eats 1/4 cup Honest Kitchen Zeal, 3/4 cup baked Alaskan Salmon, 1/4 cup Royal Canin Diabetic, 1/2 cup green bean or broccoli, plus 1 inch banana twice daily and is given 5 units Novolin N twice daily after his meals when he eats at 7 am and 7 pm.

Comment

As mentioned, it sure looks like transitory diabetes, or "honeymooning" could be likely suspects.

Like Pudge, Otis' diabetes seems to have been triggered by large doses of steroids. I was in denial for quite a while hoping and praying that O's was transitional, ... it wasn't.
            Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

I agree with the speculation that's been offered on honeymooning vs. transient diabetes aftering having been spayed. Time will tell.

But I also wanted to mention if you aren't already treating the low blood sugar right away, I would immediately give some honey, karo syrup or regular pancake syrup when she's acting low followed by some food to keep her blood sugar stable.
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
              X