Gretel is now our angel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mini Schnauzer Gretel

Mildred's salmon oil capsule gets punctured, squirted, then mixed into her food too.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

I'm going to puncture the capsule and squirt it on her food tonight. We'll see if that makes a difference. Thanks all!

Carolyn
      Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

CoolGram, I also puncture the capsule of Vit E and just pour it over the food and it works well.

As for the Horizon Legacy, it is available in the USA and here is a link of stores in PA

http://www.horizonincdatabase.com/map/

I know not only is it good for his allergies but he no longer shows desperate signs of hunger like he did on all the other foods that I tried.

Good luck
        Louise

Comment

Louise,

I checked out the link you sent and was surprised that the Horizon Legacy food is sold at the very place I get Gretel groomed, only 5 miles from home!

Other than the episode this morning where she didn't want to eat, Gretel is always acting like she's still hungry - it makes me feel so bad for her. I'm sure hoping I can settle on something that is good for her but yet satisfies her. Thank you so much for your help.

Carolyn
          Carolyn & Gretel - 12 yr. old mini-schnauzer - diag. Jan 2010 - lost her courageous battle with multiple issues on Feb. 17, 2014. So sadly missed by her family.

Comment

You are quite welcome.

I hope it works as well for Gretel as it does for Buddy and Cleo. That food and the egg whites, zuchinni, chicken pieces as treats in addition to the water with the tuna do the job. By the way, there is such a difference in the ingredients that it took a little over a week to transition them fully and their poop was a little soft for a while.

Good luck

Comment

You have got tons of good advice here, and the only thing I will add, is if you dont like the fishy smell when you puncture the fish oil capsules, then you can refrigerate them and it takes away most of the "fish" smell.

Comment

Joan, thanks for the advice to refrigerate the fish oil capsules, I would never have thought of that.

Amazingly Gretel ate her food with her usual gusto tonight, no sign of any problem whatsoever. I did open the fish oil capsule tonight and squirted it on her food and also mixed in a spoonful of the canned w/d. I'm not sure though that either of those things were the original problem anyway, because she was excited for her food even before I set it down, unless she could smell what I put in it. It's a mystery, but tonight everything was back to normal.

A big thank you to all who gave advice.

Carolyn

Comment

The only way I can get fish oil into Fergy is Natures Way "Fisol" capsules. It's about the size of a small jellybean and enteric-coated. I place it at the back side of the tongue and he swallows it right down.

I'm tellin' you, he has one terrific sniffer. He would have made a good ATF dog.

Cheers

Harry & Fergy.

Comment

Hi Harry,

I think Gretel would take a regular pill quicker than those big capsules. I can hide a smaller pill in her food and she never seems to notice it. These capsules I'm getting from the vet (of course!) and they're big. Last night and this morning I punctured them and squirted them into her food and she apparently didn't mind the odor or taste, thank goodness. As careful as I tried to be I still got some of the oil on my fingers, but hey, that's what soap and water is for!! Whatever works .

Have a great day!
                    Carolyn

Comment

I had to speak to Gretel's vet today about her little issue with eating from last week (which seems to have resolved itself). During the course of our conversation I mentioned to her that I would like to home test Gretel but so far haven't been too successful, and, believe it or not, she was totally for it - in fact seemed thrilled about it. She said that she would like to do a curve more often than she does, but she's always trying to be conscious of the cost of each and every test she orders, not only for us but for other patients as well. She said if I can start doing spot checks and curves it will help her to keep much better control of Gretel's BG, and she said (as all of you have too) that it would be better and less stressful for Gretel to have it done at home.

I'm setting up an appointment for next week for a curve (hopefully the last one to be done at the vet's), bloodwork and urinalysis and at the same time she wants me to bring my monitor and she'll have one of the techs help me to figure out the best place to test and what number to set the device on. She asked me what gauge my lancets were, and I told her I just bought 26's but haven't used them yet. She said the gauge they use there are 22's. Wow, I think that would really hurt.

I also told her that WalMart will be selling the Eli Lilly Humulin-N in September and she was happy to hear that (as am I!)

Now you know why I just adore this vet. To me, she's everything a vet should be and then some. I'll post after I have my "training" and let you know how it went.

Carolyn

Comment

A vet on board with learning as well as teaching is certainly a GREAT find!! It's great that she not only is encouraging you on home testing but is willing to get you in the office to help you settle your nerves on doing so! Good Luck Carolyn

Comment

Carolyn,
                          I agree. What a great partnership you've found with your vet.
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hello all,

Yesterday Gretel was at the vet's for a curve, and it didn't go well. Her numbers are up. The vet said the lowest wasn't below 300, and I was so upset I didn't even find out the other numbers. Her urine was fine and they tested her triglycerides again and I just got a call from the vet that not only have they NOT come down, they went UP. From 2500 to 2800. I just don't understand this at all. The vet said she talked to the Hill's dogfood company again, because they advised her in May that the dry only forumula would be best to help lower her triglycerides, but obviously it didn't. What really bothered me was that she told me the dogfood rep felt that we must be cheating with her diet. Believe me, nothing could be further from the truth. I am close to tears right now, because I don't know what else we can do. We have been jumping through hoops for months now, trying to figure out why her blood sugar won't come down. She's now up to 15 units twice a day.

The vet has decided to take her off the w/d food altogether and try the Royal Canin perscription low fat food. She also wants me to add niacin to her arsenal of medications.

The vet also mentioned the possibility of a thyroid problem although she doesn't see any physical signs of it yet. She advised trying the new diet and the niacin for a period of time before she gets into other tests.

I took my testing supplies along yesterday and that didn't go well either. The tech could not get enough blood with the lancets I have (they're 26 gauge). Then the vet tried and she couldn't either. She finally used the lancets they use by hand, which are 22 gauge. The did all this in the ear except for one attempt in the lip. So I'm really discouraged about that too. I'm still not ready to give up on home testing and I do believe eventually I'll be able to do it, but right now my head is just swimming. I'm not even going to try again until maybe the weekend, because the poor thing was poked so many times yesterday and God bless her, she was so good and so patient.

I guess I'm not really asking for any specific advice, just felt like I needed to vent a bit. Thanks to all of you for just being there and letting me get all this off my chest - you're so appreciated.

Carolyn

Comment

Carolyn - while I'm still learning myself and not really knowledgeable enough to give advice, I can give you a virtual hug as it seems that is really what you need now. Take a deep breath and start anew tomorrow. It certainly is a tough road we are all on!

Comment

Hi Lori,

You are absolutely right about the hug and a big thank you for it. That's one reason I love this forum. Aside from the great advice, just as important is all the support you get from so many caring and wonderful people - just like you!

Carolyn

Comment

Working...
                                X