Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Bagel joins the group and Mommy is melting

oh good..I AM doing that...

Got an appointment with the Vet today at 2:20 which will prob stress her and mess up the curve..

Have many questions and I am just thinking I am screwing things up....
    I have always given the shot to the side of her scruffy place...not directly on it from above, but either side...

and today her curve so far was

6:30 447
    SHOT OF 14 UNITS Vetsulin at 7 AM

8:30 508

10:30 451

She is restless today... my being home these two weeks is different from what she is used to on weekdays...

So the 7:00 shot isn't doing anything OR she is regulated on these numbers right now??? Or where I am giving it is incorrect and not affecting her?

WE took a 15-20 min walk between 8:30 and 10:30..She walks slowly b/c she is 3/4 beagle 1/4 Bassett and she sniffs everything in the world.

I plan to
    * check my meter (Ultra 2) with theirs..the Alphatrak..I do hope Ican keep this one..Their kit is $175 and of course the test strips are way higher too...
    * get her nails trimmed which SHE HATES
    * show him where I am doing the shot
    * ASK if he has read all the vetsulin stuff and what about NPH???

I really am good at teaching little kids and even though I had a big birthday milestone, I still have all my faculties most days...but I just am always nervous that I am not doing this right!! I So appreciate all the wisdom and support here....Just wish you guys were next door !!
    S

Comment

Her blood sugar is definitely up! There are lots of possible reasons, including the UTI being back and this bottle of Vetsulin not working properly.

Do you have any of the old vial left?

See what the vet says.

I don't think you have done anything wrong. UTIs especially can survive a single round of antibiotics. If they find it is back, have them culture the urine sample to test various antibiotics so they can be sure to prescribe one that will get rid of it. There are a lot of resistant strains out there.

Natalie

Comment

okay thanks...She isn't showing signs of a recurrence but she doesn't always...

It is a Lysodren day ( 250 mgs this AM) but it is always in her system since it stays 48 hours and she takes it 3 X a week...

Lordy who knows?::::::: They just checked her urine last Weds and it was all clear...

She is hungry...THAT is when I am confused..I gave her about 4 cooked broccoli florets and she is sleeping now...
        yes I just started this bottle SAT night...the old one only had 6 units in it so I tossed it...
        Does the place where I have ALWAYS given her shots sound suspicious???
        S
        UPDATE..today was a work in visit..They just called and HE asked if I could come tomorrow at 3 and we would have more time...With these bgs so high today should I just scratch the remaining tests for today?>?
        I just took a pic of her sleeping and put a piece of paper pointing to where I give the shot...I posted it on the album page....HA
        Last edited by Bagel's Mom; 12-29-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: add pic

Comment

Although the 400 readings are high, I would think the reading at +6 and +8 hours after the injection would look much better. When I do a curve on Annie, I usually skip the +2 and +4 hour tests because I KNOW her readings will be higher than the fasting (pre meal) test.

Craig & Annie
          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

oh ok that makes sense.. here we are now

6:30 447
            SHOT OF 14 UNITS Vetsulin at 7 AM

8:30 508

10:30 451

12:30 400

2;30 472

4:30 406

what kind of day was THIS??
            Last edited by Bagel's Mom; 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Wow! Not much of a drop for 14iu. I would have thought she would have come way down. I'm not familiar with the different medications so will leave that for someone else
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

By-the-way, Annie uses the Alphatrak meter. We have used other meters, but I like the Alphatrak because it only requires a very small "dot" of blood to test. If you ever get an Alphatrak meter, many people use FREESTYLE LITE (note: "LITE") strips that seem to give proper readings in the Alphatrak meter. I've run comparison tests, and the FREESTYLE LITE and ALPHATRAK strips seem to read within a few points of each other.

I was lucky: someone had given their ALPHATRAK meter to my vet, and he just gave it to me. :-)

New photo: Annie (L) and my son's Charlie (R) in their Christmas garb.

Craig & Annie
                Last edited by CraigM; 12-29-2009, 05:35 PM.

Comment

FABULOUS PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!

and that is a GREAT TIP on the meter, thanks!!!!!!!!

Even though her day showed no sign of having insulin, we had a great day. She walked several times outside, we took naps and she was so hungry by dinner that she inhaled it and is snoring now.

She feels and acts so much better than she did the whole summer and early fall.

but it;s always a mystery to me!!
                  Sande

Comment

I love the Christmas picture Craig!

Sande, I'll be checking back to see how things went at the vet visit.

I didn't see the picture you mentioned in your album... love the Thanksgiving one though!

Natalie

Comment

thanks....I took it off cause without knowing what it was, it looked weird,...Will put it back on now...am sitting here after a day of 400s yesterday and again today writing all my questions..

I think a lot is ME thinking she is made of porcelain and I am going to step wrong and break her...

Also factoring the Cushings Disease which USED to be the center of our problems.. and we haven;t looked at that in forever cause I am sure with her BGS running so high that $130+ STIM test would be innacurate...

Comment

well a fabulous chat...
                        and the fact she has stayed in the mid 400s mostly for over a month.....Problem in this order...

The Cushings
                        Infection
                        not enough exercise and being overweight( well she isn't anymore)
                        ME

She has lost 5 pounds and that is GREAT....We walk daily..I think it is ME and the way I have been not doing the shot correctly...
                        So I sit here with a huge pit in my stomach as it is almost time..I need to go parallel with the skin when I make the tent and not perpendicular....
                        I thought I was not doing it right...
                        anyway...we will stay with th3 14 units this week and then chat next week....
                        MEANWHILE...
                        let me go find those shot pics again...I need to do it before she even knows it happened....
                        uh huh

Comment

PS
                          they were amazed that my Ultra Touch meter and their Alpha trak was only 11 points different..YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Comment

Hi,

No matter how good you are at giving the injections if cushings is on the cards well you are never going to achieve good regulation. It may be time to look at some more testing.

As for injection technique.....have I ever nagged you about the BD inject ease? If I havent I should have because I found this small plastic device a lifesaver when I started giving injections and then I loved it so much I purchased another when the first one was worn out. Mind it was 4 years later!
                            It just took the worry about how quickly and how deep and I could concentrate on placement and angle and then one touch of the button and the plunger push and it was all over.

Jenny

Comment

Just have a moment to post Sande....you'll get there. Try to remember how hard it is to get both diseases regulated!!
                              Take care,
                              Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel

Comment

Jenny. no what IS that..
                                anddddddddddd
                                tonight I fed her..put her in my lap and shot that thing in her hip and she had no clue..HAHAHA
                                I felt like a hallelujah dance all over the living room.....

We are good... She went to sleep in 10 minutes and slept a long time..Nail days are stressful and she was tired..We even went out in the buggy this afternoon too...
                                Nighters. I am up toooo late...!!

S

Comment

Working...
                                X