Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Jack - SPCA poster boy

Jack was hilarious today. We took him to a different river spot - kind of cobbly so he couldn't run around like he can at the sandy beach we usually go to. Jeff decided to throw a big tree branch into the river and Jack thought it was the best stick ever!

It was 7+ feet long and a inch or more thick around and Jack cheerfully retrieved it over and over. I swear he was gloating at his accomplishment!

Apparently his main complaint about his river toys is that they are way too small!

Natalie
Old 07-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: Jack - lumberjack retriever

Just catching up over here...
LOL, So proud of that BIG stick!!! I bet he was worn out last night

Whenever we took Ali boating with us, she had her own life jacket (since we were in the middle of the lake). Every time the boat stopped she wanted to get out and retrieve her bumper. She didn't know how to just float. Her legs would just go and go and go. She'd crashed in the truck on the way home with her head on top of a stack of towels.

Great way to burn energy!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Founding Member

Natalie,
It really sounds like you are having far too much fun with Jack. My suggestion is to get a much bigger toy box to put all these oversize toys in.
Jenny
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBuddy View Post
My suggestion is to get a much bigger toy box to put all these oversize toys in.
Jenny
Or his own boatshed!

Alison
Old 07-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
She didn't know how to just float. Her legs would just go and go and go.
Jack's the same way... lift him out of the water and he keeps paddling. It's great that they have an instinct to swim instead of having to learn how.

Jack's toes are somewhat webbed and he's got big clod hoppers, which make him a great swimmer. Plus his feet are much more durable than Chris' were. Chris, despite being 60 pounds, had very delicate feet! He didn't like rocks at all! Would have hated that cobbly beach.

Natalie
Old 07-31-2009, 07:07 AM

Wow...Jack is so adorable!!! Congratulation Natalie!! Jack is so fortunate to have you as his Mom.

I can't believe I missed this post, time and time again, reading forum. I'm so happy for you all! Sounds like Jack is having a ball. His life is so incredibly wonderful because of you, his new family.

Audy loves chasing squirrels too! That's how I know....yep... BG are ok at the moment.

LOL, Jack ran through your screen 2xs. Audy did this back in May.

I apologize if I missed the post. Did the DNA test come back on Jack? Thinking to do DNA on Audy. It is so amazing to be able to get this information like this.

Congratulations and Enjoy!
Anna
Old 08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

The DNA test came back and Jack is 100% border collie! I was vaguely disappointed he wasn't a mutt! But now having seen some smooth coated border collies, they are lean and leggy like he is. His main variance from other smooth coated BCs I've seen is that he's definitely on the large side - 51-53 pounds.

Natalie
Old 08-03-2009, 05:58 AM

Jack is 100% border collie! I was vaguely disappointed he wasn't a mutt!...LOL!!

Congrats! How wonderful it is that you know Jack's breed! Jack is a big boy too! It's so amazing that you can get this information!

You have encouraged me to look into the DNA test with Audy. We know positively she has Doxy in her. I'm so curious if she has the other breeds in her that we suspect. It's interesting how Autumn does has the trait of lifting her rght front leg and standing exactly like a Pointer does, when she is curious, sensing a critter. It is so incredible that we may be able to find out.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:56 PM
Administrator

We did the DNA test on Chris as well, two of them actually because the first one, which was new, was taking so long to come back. In Chris' case, both tests came out inconclusive - they couldn't identify a single one of his breeds! We always knew he was a mutt of mutts but didn't realize just how mixed up he was until we did the DNA test.

With Chris, we did this one, which requires a blood sample:

http://www.whatsmydog.com/

And this one, which requires only a cheek swab and you can return by mail:

http://www.canineheritage.com/

The cheek swab test is the one we did with Jack.

We did the DNA test with Jack because, thinking he was a mix, we wanted to know if there were other significant personality contributors besides border collie. Jack hadn't started to do the BC crouch yet.

Natalie
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
Founding Member

I've just found the BITSA (great name) test for doggie dna here in Australia and I plan to get Luke checked. It is also the cheek swab one. I am guessing it will show Poodle/Whippet. Any betting people out there?
Jenny

Last edited by BestBuddy; 08-07-2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Sorry for the hijack Nat.