Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 10-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Jack - new to my house

We are definitely making slow progress. Last night Jack stayed on one side of a gate that had pretty big spaces in it while I was on the other side with Katie. He was able to ignore her and consequently she was able to ignore him and get some attention. Jack gets the basic concept of Leave It and he doesn't try to go through or over the gates.

But we still keep them a bit more securely separated when no one is closely supervising things. Like now, there are two gates between Jack and Katie and the first one has a mesh instead of just vertical slats. They are ignoring each other, which is progress!

Natalie
Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Jack does not like pottying in the rain!! So Friday night through Saturday night as it poured steadily all day long was a pain in the neck! But finally today the skies cleared and his potty routine went well.

He seems to be pretty predictable about times he wants to poop - that's been the major challenge. He will pretty much pee when asked if taken outside. I'm starting to know when he's likely to have to go.

Am pondering what to use as a signal. Since he ran right through the screen door twice last week... perhaps a decal at eye level that he has to touch his nose to!

Tuesday is our first obedience class.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 AM
Founding Member

Niki hates to go in the rain also, so did Chief, but i had to use the "Now get going" with them or walk part outside with them, then they'd do their thing and i wait by the door. What we do for the babies.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Founding Member

Taffy too - did not like to get her 'tootsies' wet! I would say: Hurry up......and off she'd go, and right back in! Good luck with the obedience class - they were always so much fun for us! Jody
Old 11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
Founding Member

I always thought that I would try to train my next dog with a string of bells (maybe little cat bells) hung near the door so that it would be a visual and an audible signal.
Jenny & Buddy
PS Just reminded me of a funny. I had to rush a dog named Bill to the vet after he ate a cats bell from a collar. The vet was lecturing me about leaving a collar around for him to play with and didn't stop until I told him the collar was actually on a cat at the time. The cat was fine but the collar didn't survive.

Last edited by BestBuddy; 11-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Administrator

Jenny!! LOL
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Founding Member

I bought a doggy door bell when Lex and Liv were pups but they weren't smart enough (or maybe it was me not smart enough) to get them to use it. I'd be happy to send it to you! It's like a wireless door bell, the part that hey are supposed to lear to step on looks like a big paw and you can set it to ring or bark. Let me know! It's not doing me any good!

My sister did the bells on the door knob.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Administrator

Hey Denise,

I'd love to try your doggie doorbell. Let me know if you want me to reimburse you for it.

We did well at obedience class. Sitting was easy because Jack sat whether I asked him to or not! The hard ones for him will be "Attention" and polite leash walking. The other stuff I think he'll breeze through. He already knows Down, Sit, Wait, Leave It... performance isn't entirely consistent yet but he understands what he's *supposed to do.

I think actually I'm going to bring less exciting treats to the next class. He's pretty motivated anyway and if the treats are too exciting he can't think of anything else.

We are getting the hang of his bathroom habits too. No accidents recently. I restrict him to a small enough part of the house that he can't go far enough away to sneak off and relieve himself while inside.

All in all, with less rain, things are going well.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Founding Member

Sounds like he's gonna be great, glad things are going well
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 11-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Founding Member

Accckkk! I'm sorry I didn't check back so didn't see you wwanted to try the doorbell. I will try and get it in the mail today, Monday at the latest!

Denise