Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Interim CC

Default Re: Jack - new to my house

Quote:
New information about Jack - he does NOT like fireworks! Independence Day is definitely going to be a challenge.
My Zac doesn't like fireworks either - doesn't mind thunderstorms though - which is odd. When he was younger I did make an effort to make thunderstorms a "happy" thing by throwing treats around during storms so I think that may have helped. We got "caught" by some fireworks while out walking and that didn't help!

You can get DVD/CD's/MP3 files of sounds of thunderstorms and fireworks to help desensitize frightened animals (probably works on people too!). You start with it played very quietly and slowly increase the volume while associating it with good things.

A friend of mine has a BC who just loves thunderstorms and has to be securely shut inside because he wants to go out and "chase" the lightning! They live on top of a ridge.......

Alison
Old 01-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I think I might do desensitization not only on fireworks but on the terriers next door. It wouldn't be too difficult to record them barking and then play that in the house.

I think that will work better for him than the party approach, which we have been trying, but since this occurs when he's inside the house we can't get the stress/volume/stimulus down to a manageable level.

It didn't help that the fireworks were going off outside a large window with no cover of it - patio slider - and very close by. He could not only hear it but see the flashes. We did then put him in his crate where the sound was muffled and there was no visual, but he was pretty wound up by that point.

We have managed to desensitize him to some minor things he's afraid of, like pipes with a frost/UV cover. Those he just had to sniff and then he was fine. But the purple balloon down by the river the other day was too much for him to handle! Silly boy. He was scared spitless of it and wouldn't get close enough to sniff it even when I held it!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Founding Member

you just made me think of the hot air balloons that used fly over, my dogs could not take it, I could not hear it at first, but they really hated that thing.
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM

Hello there Natalie

This is pretty late congrats (even for me :0)) but I was thinking of you and saw this post when I visited and wanted to congratulated you on your new member of your family.

He looks such a cutie, very handsome, and sounds a character!

Love Sharon, Zeno and Bobs xxxx
Old 01-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Sharon!!!!

How lovely to see you here!! That just made my day to see your name, along with Zeno and Bobs!

How is Mr. Zeno doing? And how are you?

Jack is definitely a handful and totally runs our lives.

Natalie
Old 01-11-2009, 11:50 AM

Hi Natalie

Aww that was a nice hello from you!

Zeno doing good (touch wood - 3 years diabetic next month!) and Bobs OK - I think he is two tomorrow but must check.

For a minute I though you'd wrote "Jack ruins our lives" :0) Awww little man he sounds lovely - full of fun. When you have an older dog and then a younger one it is a bit of a shock, I know when we got Bobby it aged Zeno completely (he always looked like the younger one with Angela Charl). I like to see Chris's face in your profile, lovely fellow he was it's a crying shame they aren't with us longer.

Lovely to speak to you and I will try and not be so much a stranger, I'm a rubbish poster.

Give Jack a big cuddle from us.

Love to Jack, Sharon Zeno

Last edited by Bichon Mum; 01-11-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Administrator

LOL... there are days when "ruins" might be the more appropriate word! I'm so glad Zeno is well.

What a herder this boy has become. I can't believe how it's coming out in him the past month. Lately he can't stop herding pale yellow labradors!!

Shoot, I meant to drive him out to meet a sheep today after the dog park and forgot. Thought maybe if I showed him the real thing... although technically, I think the flock down the road are goats... he would figure out that pale yellow labs are not ovines!
Old 01-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Founding Member

JUst love that pic of Jack with his hat on. He looks pretty embarrassed!!! Poor boy!!! What mommies will do for a pic!!! Pebbles wasn't fond of fireworks either!! Once she heard the first pop days after she would go outside and immediately look up at the sky She wouldn't forget. I spend many a day telling her to go pee pee when all she wanted to do is run back inside. I hated the 4th of July because of this We didn't attempt to go camping on that holiday We always stayed home so that Pebbles could stay in and be less stressed. Kept "Kahlua" is scared of thunder Go figure The wimp stays up Moms but till the storm ends Jack is a handsome man.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Interim CC

Quote:
What a herder this boy has become. I can't believe how it's coming out in him the past month. Lately he can't stop herding pale yellow labradors!!
My Zac does this too - but he doesn't care if they are pale yellow or labradors - or probably even dogs. As long as they move they require herding his not particularly humble opinion. He's particularly fond of herding poodles and poodle X's - must look like sheep to him and they really excite him. Kinda annoys and confuses other dogs at times. Zac's herding style seems to involve a lot of very loud barking which doesn't help, either. Is Jack and "eye dog" like a lot of BC's? That would probably stress other dogs out too.

I knew of a dog (was actually the daughter of my husband's dog) that, when it was raining, would be out on the veranda herding frogs into gum boots! There are dogs (BC or Kelpies usually) that can herd a chicken into a large jam tin - poor chicken!

Alison
Old 01-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Administrator

LMAO at the idea of herding frogs!!

Jack does some herding stuff with most dogs - nips at their necks or heels. But yellow labs are the ones he barks at. Stands in their face and barks like crazy. I read that McNabs bark when they herd.

I could definitely see a poodle... all that curly hair. I could see yellow labradors as sheared sheep...

Jack has only started to do the eye thing in the past month as well. Sometimes he stacks up behind a dog who is giving a ball the eye. Dog stares at ball, Jack stares at dog... as soon as the ball flies, the dog goes after the ball and Jack goes after the dog as if it were a ball.

But lately in the backyard he's been crouching and giving the eye to his tennis ball. He didn't do this at all when we first got him.