Scooter crossed the bridge today 12-3-16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scooter crossed the bridge today 12-3-16

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for always being here for me for the 5 1/2 years Scooter lived with his diabetes. I came to this board a frightened confused mom of a wonderful fur kid and with your help I learned so much. Scooters journey with diabetes had it's ups and downs but the majority of the time he was a healthy happy boy. It was only 3 days before he passed that he developed diarrhea and sporadic vomiting. Refused to eat his dog food so I cooked him chicken and rice which didn't agree with him. So I tried turkey breast and barley.
    That also didn't work. I tried everything I could think of to get him to eat. All he wanted was his liver snap cookies. So that's what he got! I knew when he refused to eat them something was seriously wrong. We took him to his vet on Friday morning and they kept him to administer fluids. Did blood work. His BG was so high it wouldn't register. This was so not normal for him. His BUN was off the chart high and his platelets we very low. Other results were abnormal also. They tried everything they could to stabilize him but it was as not to be. His kidneys were failing. We got the call Sat around noon that he was in distress, and filling up with fluids. At this point he was unresponsive. Unfortunately we were unable to be with him when he left this world as we were more than an hour away from the vet when the decision was made to end his suffering. The fact that we weren't with him hurts more than anything. I hope he knows he was in our hearts even though we weren't there. We had our lil buddy cremated and he will be coming home on Monday. Again thank you for the support you gave Scooter and me. We couldn't have been as successful as we were without y'all.
    Last edited by Scootersmom; 12-08-2016, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Thinking of you and Scooter...

Natalie

Comment

you did a wonderful job with caring and loving scooter . i am sure he understands that and is internally grateful . scooter gave back to you the same which cared for you with love

thats the connection we get with managing this disease it brings us closer . scooter had a long happy diabetic life and i enjoyed reading his posts on how his life was going

take care
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Hi y’all We have been without a dog since Scooter passed on Dec 3 2016. On April 7th of this year a little girl showed up on our porch and decided to stay. She was very thin, had ticks and an ear infection and hook worms! Plus she was coming into heat! She wasn’t chipped and I put her on Facebook as found. Needless to say she has a permanent home here. We had her spayed and she has her shots now along with heart worm medication.Her name is Coco and she is approx 11months old now. I’ll add a picture if someone can tell me how!

Comment

Congratulations on your new pup! I've always believed our Bridge Fur kids send us our next... My last Corgi sent me me Max, I'm sure! Of course he did have a great sense of humor...

Donna and Max the crazy Corgi

Comment

Thanks Donna! I’m sure Scooter would approve! Honestly we said we didn’t want any more fur kids but she is such a sweet girl we couldn’t not keep her. She definitely came from humble beginnings but now she's living like a princess

Comment

Yep, she found you and she won the lottery!!!! Life for her has taken on a whole new meaning! She picked the right door to show up on!

When we lost our last dog, Molly, a GSD we rescued off the streets of Dallas who was so horribly emaciated, HW positive and even lost the tips of her ears to being eaten by flies (she was about 5 and the thought was she was probably a back yard breeder bitch that was tossed out in the streets after no longer being able to produce large, income making puppies). After 6 awesome years with her, we lost her very quickly to a fast moving cancer that ruptured her spleen and radiographs showed it had also attached to her liver, bladder and other organs that cannot be removed. We were devastated. We said no more – we were too old to deal with the large breeds… After months of watching my husband mope and watch home videos of all of our Bridge kids all day long, I got a call from the rescue we got Molly from asking if I would foster a long coat GSD from death row at a shelter in LA CA. This particular shelter had a very short window a dog is allowed to live if he/she isn’t claimed. I showed my husband the picture of him and he got a twinkle in his eye I hadn’t seen for a long time. He was said to be an older dog, so couldn’t be too much work, right? He came from across the country to New York, where we picked him up to come live with us in New England. He wasn’t an old dog at all! Yes, he had a snow nose, but it wasn’t from age, but rather stress… We were lucky in that his only ailment was needing some groceries (he was 60 pounds then and is now a healthy/lean 85 pounds). Like Molly, the rescue took care of his reproductive organs. Of course we failed at fostering and he’s now ours. So, we now have a crazy, wild, young 85 pound dog with energy to spare, although we do not… LOL
                He will be our last dog – I hope…
                Donna and Max the blind, elderly, diabetic Corgi

Comment

What a wonderful gift . Enjoy your fury friend
                  Last edited by jesse girl; 07-12-2022, 05:24 PM.
                  Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                  Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

awe have fun with you princess Coco
                    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Dang, I missed this last time I was here. Congrats to you and to her!

The picture should be a JPG file and not terribly large. Easiest way for you to put it up is to make it your avatar. But you can also email it to me and I can post it for you. It has to be online somewhere to post in a thread.

Natalie

Comment

The beautiful Coco...

Comment

She is so beautiful! I wish I could hug her!!

Comment

Just beautiful.

Bonnie and Angel Crissy Ann

Comment

Hey, Coco is soooo sweet, pretty bow and her white markings are so pretty.

Thanks for sharing
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X