Flea control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flea control

We have been using Advantix on our little Louie for about 6 years. Today we were in for a routine vet appointment and she found several fleas on him even though I have treated him for fleas just 6 days ago. She told me that Advantix doesn't really seem to work like it used to and she recommended an oral flea medication. Actually she named two that we could get from her. I'm hesitant to give Louie anything like that orally with his diabetes, even though the vet says it doesn't effect it at all. Does anyone use the oral (tablet form) of flea control, and if so which one and does it seem to effect your dog at all? Thanks in advance.

Re: Flea control

I use Nexgard which is a chewable and I haven't noticed any issues with my dogs diabetes.

Comment

My dog is a tick and flea magnet. Our vet switched Snickers over to Parastar plus several seasons ago. It is applied topically just like a Advantix but my vet thought it worked better and I think he is correct. Snickers does not seem to have a problem with it.

They wanted me to try Bravecto (administered orally) last year but I was happy with Parastar so I didn't try it. Since then the FDA has started looking into rare neurological side effects from isoxoline based treatments including Bravecto, Nexgard and Simparica. The following link talks about it.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/fed...tion/840635017
      It sounds unlikely you would have a problem but you might want to read about it.
      Snickers was an 18 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. Angel status 4-21-19. She was a once in a lifetime dog that will always be in my heart.

Comment

Izzy uses Nexguard with no side effects
        Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Working...
        X