Missing my Gus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing my Gus

Three weeks ago tonight I lost my Gus to a cancerous tumor and complications, not his diabetes. I just feel so lost without him. I feel like I am forgetting to do something. I still watch the clock for evening feeding & testing. I still wake up early in the morning. I haven't had a good night's rest since I lost him. There is such a huge void. Having a sugar baby really creates that bond that only a sugar mom/dad would understand because your life essentially evolves around them and their needs. I've lost many dogs in my life, and it had only been 7 months since I lost Gus's "brother" to old age, and tumor.

I found a 6 yr old schnauzer in an area shelter that was owner surrender. I haven't gone to check her out because I get to thinking about the breed and diabetes and how they are so prone to it. I guess I will know when time is right for another dog, but for now, I'm trying not to rush it and trying to let my heart heal. But,it's so hard. Losing 2 furbabies so close together in time has been difficult.

It is hard to break the habit of coming here to this forum, as I've done so daily for almost 3 years. I still read from time to time,but tonight, I felt the need to post.
    Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
    10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Re: Missing my Gus

I am truly so sorry for your loss...My heart is broken after reading this post..
    Gus is pain free from the tumor and running wild..
    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
    On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

When Daisy was first diagnosed I went to Gus's page because he was a schnauzer, like Daisy. I gained some valuable insight reading how you handled his diabetes and wanted to thank you.
      I look at Daisy and often think of Gus, such a handsome little guy and how hard it is to lose our babies.
      My mom and her chihuahua, Louie, lived with me. After she passed, it was me and Louie struggling with mom's death. He lived with me since he was 2. Two years after mom passed Louie died of old age, he was 16. I swore I would never get another dog because the heartbreak of losing him was too much.
      Six months later I look into the eyes of this beautiful 8 year old mini schnauzer and we've been inseparable ever since.
      You'll know when it's time. Keeping you close to my heart with prayers and hugs.
      Daisy 12 1/2 y/o 20lb Mini Schnauzer - 115g chicken breast, 45g chana dal, 55g green beans all chopped in a food processor, 20g Hills Perfect Weight, 1 tbs pumpkin, 8 units Novolin N q12h. Other meds-1/4t d-mannose twice daily, 1 Proviable DC daily, 1 multivitamin, 1/4t ground eggshells each meal, 1200mcg methyl B12 daily, 5mg zyrtec daily

Comment

Gus was special. And we do form a closer bond with these guys. Jenny died 3 years ago but I still look in because a)I try to watch out for cushings and b)I want to know how everyone is doing.

I think you will know when the time is right. My "younger" dog is 15 in April. I am grateful every day he hasn't had the issues Jenny had. I loved her so much and would do it again but it was emotionally wearing.

I'm thinking of you. You and Gus have helped a lot of other dogs over the years and he was lucky to have you.

If you want to share any Gus stories, share, we love to hear them! xoxo
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Thank you all for your kind words. I hope that Gus's diabetic journey helped others and will continue to do so. I can't believe all the knowledge that I gained from everyone here and their personal journey with their sugar babies. It's hard not to peek in here.

I do have one dog, a 10 yr old spanish water dog,which is my 50# "chihuahua" as we jokingly say because he wants to be on our laps a lot. But he is more my hubby's dog. My two schnauzer boys were both so very special. Gus slept with me at the top of my head behind the pillow. I still have his blanket folded there. It's hard to try to sleep and I put my arm there and he's not there.

I have a coffee mug from 2008 with pics of all 5 of our dogs at the time. I had 3 schnauzers, a black lab, and the spanish waterdog. All are gone except the 1. I have owned 4 schnauzers, and they are such special breeds.
          Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
          10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

I'm so sorry, I feel your pain! I think what you said is correct, we spend our days making sure they got the right amount of food, timing shots, other meds, etc. taking care of them 24-7 created such a tight bond. we feel empty when they're gone.
            Just tonight not only did i call our other dog bandit, but i started getting his food ready. UGH! that started water works again.
            this is a very painful journey, I'm not sure if i have the heart to try it again.
            i wish you peace
            born 2005, adopted 2008. died 3-30-18
            i imagine his life flashing before his eyes yelling "I HAVE NO REGRETS!"

Comment

Working...
            X