Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Abby Diagnosed about 4 weeks ago

My dog drops a lot after walks, too.
    I usually give honey before the walk to stop this drop.

Comment

Typically I haven't seen too much of a drop after a walk, but I did open a new bottle of insulin on Tuesday, which since then I have been seeing favorable results. I took another reading and it was 184 at 11:30 , so I am happy . I did give her a sweet potatoe snack after the walk to bring it up a bit, and that seemed to work, because even though I felt it was a good number, I wasn't sure how much she would drop.

I can not tell everyoe enough, how much this forum has been a godsend, and everyone responding to my posts. Thanks so much again. I feel that I have control now to her well being, and not feel like I am guessing with those urine strips.
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

with exercise its nice if you can find a time when insulin is at its weakest for jesse because she has a bowl type curve insulin is weakest at the end of her cycle wright before her next shot and even then she can drop some

for us we test before walk and after which is when she gets her shot she can be a bit unpredictable so precautions are taken depending on her numbers
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I believe that Abby's low point is about 2:30 - 3:00, as it seems to slightly elevate prior to her feeding and next shot.

Also, I have been using the Glucose test strips, in the AM, and she appears to have no glucose in her urine, so this would mean around 12:00am, or 1:00 am she may be normal.

I had my One Touch meter tested with the the Vet's machine (not their Glucose meter, but rather the lab one), and it showed 27 points difference. This is very consistent as to what I have read on these forums.
          Last edited by Abby's Mom; 06-23-2011, 08:20 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Does anyone have any advice on a Urinary Tract Infection. I was getting some good numbers on Saturday, in the mid 100's, but this infection seemed to have raised the numbers.

I have started to give her some Cranberry, but it may look like another visit to the vet for some clavamox!! I suppose due to her high numbers previously, she developed this infection.

Ugh... it seems like it if it is not one thing, it is another. I just wish she felt good, and do they ever?

Comment

Hey, Barb! Yes, they DO start to feel better. Once well-adjusted, you'd never know they aren't perfectly healthy.

UTIs are usually painful, and Clavamox (or whatever your vet prescribes) should clear up Abby's. We trust, anyway. Sometimes diabetic dogs have to be on antibiotics for longer than usual. I estimate 48 hours for the antibiotic to start getting a grip on the infection; after that, Abby should start feeling quite a lot better, but the antibiotic is likely to drive her BGs up a bit.

I guess people here often raise the insulin dose just a little when their dogs are on antibiotics. I never did with Kumbi; just held steady. Once the antibiotics have done their job, if you've increased her insulin dose to compensate, you'll likely need to drop it again, back to what it was before the infection hit.

Watching and rooting for you and Abby!

Mon, 27 Jun 2011 07:26:12 (PDT)
              http://www.coherentdog.org/
              CarolW

Comment

I like to have a culture and sensitivity done when suspecting a UTI. Then you know the exact bacteria and which antibiotic will work on it.

What type of cranberry supplement are you using?

Patty
                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
                  What type of cranberry supplement are you using?

Patty
                  Although you were asking Barb about cranberry, thought I'd show what I give Annie:

http://www.amazon.com/Cranberry-Reli.../dp/B0017Z56MY

Craig
                  Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

That was one of the things I was wondering about in Barb's cranberry. Some have a few "extras" in them and others have a sweetening agent.
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hi Patty and Craig,

I am using a Cranberry powder, but that is ALL it has. No sugars. The other part of it is gelatin, but that is the capsule, and I break open the capsule, so she doesn't get it.

Along with some organic apple cider vinegar (1/2 tsp). She does not appear to be in any pain, but she does strain while peeing, and there is blood.

Comment

Hi Barb
                        I no longer post as often as I used to as I lost my little Buddy 3 months ago.

I did however wanted to comment on the Cranberry. With Buddy's numerous health problems, in addition to diabetes, I routinely tested his urine for UTI weekly. Here is the link to the Regent strips

http://www.biousa.com/urst10.html

If memory serves me right, it is the 5th or 6th square (blood) and it detects any minor possible UTI. Whenever it showed any trace of infection, I would take my strip to the vet and they would confirm with their own tests and I managed to avert serious UTI, not to mention that catching it early saved him from some pain.

I also tried the cranberry and what I noticed is that it elevavated the PH balance and made his pee more acidic. So I stopped it.

Good luck to you and little Abby

Louise

Comment

A good point Louise. A urinalysis will list the pH level.

Cranberry can lower pH creating a more acidic environment that makes it harder to grow bacteria, which is good for a dog like mine that runs too alkaline. But if Abby already runs more acidic you'd want to be careful so she doesn't develop stones.

Apple Cider vinegar actually has an alkaline ash and alters pH by making the body more alkaline. A body that is too alkaline can develop struvite crystals in the urine.

Comment

Thanks for much for the link. Sorry for the delay in responding, but we have been on vacation. Abby did great, as we took her to the Mountains in NC. Alot of hiking, and relaxing (just what we all needed)

Abby's urine appears to be ok now. I have stopped the Cranberry, but I will purchase those strips to see how she is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by buddingartist View Post
                              Hi Barb
                              I no longer post as often as I used to as I lost my little Buddy 3 months ago.
                              I am sorry Louise that you lost your 'buddy' 3 months ago. I just can't imagine the loss.

Comment

I just wanted to say that I'm glad you ALL had a great vacation! yay for Abby!
                                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Working...
                                X