A good time to just chat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good time to just chat?

We typically don't do monthly updates but periodically it's good just to catch up. Many of us no longer have a diabetic dog but remain active here anyway. And others who still have a diabetic dog have been fortunate enough not to have any questions recently!

So if you'd like to just share with everyone, here's a place to do it. Tell us how you're doing or how your dog (diabetic or otherwise) is doing.

Natalie

Re: A good time to just chat?

I have to apologize for how rarely I am here these days. I'm kind of a hit and run member, which isn't ideal but is necessary for now. But I do put lots of effort into batting away spam registrations!! Vietnam being our current top supplier of those!

All is well here. Just too busy. Our nondiabetic dog, Jack, just celebrated his official birthday / gotcha day on October 13 with wrapped presents that he very much enjoyed opening. He's really good at it and methodical until he gets down to the bag full of something yummy! LOL

I'm still doing some volunteering with the local shelter - not as much because of lack of time but do some transports of dogs and cats to rescues. And spent 12 days walking an acquaintances dog while they went to Bali.

Otherwise, I try to get some work done - and fail often!

Natalie

Comment

Glad to hear from you, Natalie!

My business is crazy - I try to stop in when I can.

My Jack Russell puppy is a big girl now - Jade just celebrated her first birthday on October 5. She doesn't have Maggie's personality at all except for her adventurous side. She is very loving and affectionate but bounces off the walls. She loves to play with her adopted sister Zoe. It is crazy to have two young dogs compared to when Maggie was alive.

Hope everybody is well.
      Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Great update on Jack, Natalie. Life certainly has a way of changing courses over time.

We are unofficially back to being a two dog family. After Kinser crossed the bridge we were all ok with just one dog - Toby. Then my father in law’s dog, Abbott, came along. Abbott’s lived with us for a full year now. He tore his ACL in July and is still recovering/rehabbing from surgery. He goes next week for his 12 week follow up appointment. We have no concerns with his recovery and hope it’s just a routine follow up appointment. He’s settled in nicely and we are looking forward to getting him back to his four mile walk routine around the college campus. Abbott loves people and brings smiles to the college students who get to stop and love on him a bit. He’s a rescue dog who would make a great therapy dog but needs some basic obedience training.

Toby’s been with us for four years now. The kid (who is now a teenager) joined a 4h club and got to show Toby at our County and State Fair this year. They tied for first place in a trick contest at the county fair. Toby then went on to let six of six tennis balls hit him in the head in the tennis ball catching contest. Apparently he was distracted by the scent of treats that had been dropped prior to his time in the ring. Had it been a treat catching contest - Toby may have gotten a first place. Our county 4h drill team took first place at the state fair this year. It was a great first time experience for kid and dog. They will begin agility training together later this fall. Looking forward to seeing them work together some more.

My father in law has taken in a dog who is more his breed choice. She loves him but prefers to run up on our deck to bark and growl at us. She truly seems interested in Toby and Abbott - but she’s not a fan of us humans. She’s been an interesting addition as he still had medical problems and caring for her when he’s in the hospital falls on us. Never met a dog who will growl, then wag tail for a piece of cheese, and go right back to growling. She seems more scared than aggressive and gives him a reason to live - so for now we continue to try to make friends with her.

Decker and his original pack (kinser and the cats) are still missed. His journey began November 5, 2011 - I’ll always be grateful for all those on here who helped and supported us during that journey. Thank you!

Holli
        Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

Hi everyone. It will be a year on 12/3 that we said goodbye to Scooter. In that time we have been blessed with a beautiful grandson who was born on 12/16. Also we have moved from Tx to Fl. We moved from Pa. to the Dallas area in March of ‘16 and now to Central Fl 3 months ago! Hoping this is the last move for a long time! We have decided not to add a new dog to our family at this point. Hoping our son and his wife will bless us with a fur grandkid. Enjoying our retirement and getting our new home fixed up to our liking. I come to the forum everyday to see how y’all are doing with your canine kids.

Comment

Hello. It's been almost 3 months (hard to believe),that our household has been adjusting from being a 3-dog home to a 2-dog home. We lost our oldest schnauzer, Bailey, on July 30th due to old age. He was 15 yrs, 4 months old and was the light of our lives. He was the oldest, but the most active and vocal of our dogs. His "brother", Gus (our diabetic boy), missed him for a few days and even though he's blind, he would go around the house sniffing for him. They were snuggle buddies in their dog bed. Big adjustment for my husband and I. I've thought about adopting another dog, but in reality, given Gus being a diabetic and needing my full attention and keeping me on such a ridgid schedule, I've just about ruled that out for now. And,too,we are retired and not sure if we want to go through that again, or even if our larger dog would "allow" another dog in the house. He's pretty protective and territorial.

Things sure are quiet around here as Bailey was the vocal one - always letting us know it was time.....time to eat, time to potty, time to go to bed....it was time. He was very much routine by the clock,every day. It always amazed me.
            Gus - **Angel as of March 7, 2018"
            10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016

Comment

Our non diabetic dog is now the age Jenny was when she died. He has always been very anxious but loves getting all the attention and all the treats! My husband and I had our first vacation together since Jenny’s diagnosis in 2011. My mother in law was a saint and stayed at our home with our needy boy. We say he is our last dog despite his groomer trying to tempt us when she is grooming a cutie from the humane society.

I still read most days and try to chime in when a Cushing diabetic dog comes along even though I have no technical advice to give! My vet is a client but I still don’t know all the techs intimately like I did when we were there so often with my girl. I love hearing how you are all doing and will be forever grateful to this forum for helping keep my Jenny alive and being so supportive when I was a mess.
              Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

How wonderful to hear from everyone!

On October 29th, it will have been 2 years since we said farewell to our sweet Soaphie (Sydney pass on June 3, 2014).

Now was have Karl and Kaj. (Kaj is the Scandinavian spelling of the name "Kai").
                Karl is about 53 pounds and looks like a golden mix, but his DNA shows he is 25% fox hound, 25% Australian cattle dog, 12.5% chow chow, and the remaining 37.5% "leans towards Siberian breeds and actually wolf/coyote". Karl is tall and thin and his coat is ALMOST as luxurious as Sydney's....ALMOST . His eyes are crazy intense and he is really, really handsome.

Kaj is about 48 pounds and a bit shorter than Karl. He looks like a blonde border collie - but he isn't. lol. He is 37.5% German shepherd, 12.5% boxer, 12.5% akita, 12.5% lab...the remaining 25% is completely mixed - not leaning towards anything. He basically does everything I ask him too. He's like so super cute.

Both dogs run with me, enjoy swimming at the "Wag n Splash" (indoor salt water pool for dogs), and doing agility (Kaj's first competition is in November....Karl's first competition isn't yet scheduled as he often likes the "chase me chase me chase me" event when he gets into an open area (he's WICKED fast!)).

We are madly in love with these boys - it's crazy how much fun they are!
                Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

Love reading these. And happy belated gotcha day to Jack!
                  Also remembering Soaphie, Tami.
                  5 years ago today we lost our sweet girl. Wow. Still no pup here. We are traveling too often for it to be fair to have a dog. But always thankful for what this board did for us and how much that sweet soul taught us. My family still asks for an Ali calendar every year to hang on the wall.
                  Seasons of life change but they also change us. Forever grateful for all that I learned.
                  Love and sloppy kisses to all!
                  Hoping your Halloween is peaceful. I remember the challenge of the doorbell and stabilizing blood sugar too well.
                  Patty
                  Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

It will be 4 years this New Years Eve that we lost our Abby. I just can not believe it has been that long. Still just the other day, I put my hand in an old jacket and her dog tag was there. I think she still lets me know that she is around.

Duncan will be three in January, and he is just a sweet Westie. He fills my heart, make me laugh each and every day with his antics, and is just a loving boy. He makes me realize that we could never be dogless.

I do not log in often, we have been quite busy ourselves, but there will always be a bond with this forum and the people. I will always be eternally grateful for the friendships I made and those that helped us along the way.

It is wonderful to catch up on everyone.
                    Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

no more animals yet but I.d like a few cats. thinking about it.

I miss my boys hugs and kisses he was so soft and çudley. still got his red jacket peeps called this his pajamas eh judi

its only been a few months I still can't really tlk about Riliey

the guy who was calling animal control still keeps watching for him. if he only knew he was blind and and lost his mind he would stop watching my house. I guess it was hard to watch a blind, dog that lost his mind with Alzheimers. why he called animal services i don't know. a blind diabetic dog needs to walk around in circles when their mind goes to bring their blood suger down. getting another dog dunno with this guy harrasing us. will he keep calling animal services, hope this hasn't happened to anybody else.

it will take maybe a year or so to lessen the greif but I.m putting weight on and relaxing my breathing more.

miss you big boy. I love love you only every day. not sad growing .

kissing all my neighbours dogs. their touch helps
                      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

I still think they look like adorable pajamas! you always dressed him so cute. I'm sorry your neighbor is being a jerk.

At least Riley won't have to be cold or wear boots this winter. I know you miss him a lot. hugs, Judi

Originally posted by Riliey and Mo View Post
                        no more animals yet but I.d like a few cats. thinking about it.

I miss my boys hugs and kisses he was so soft and çudley. still got his red jacket peeps called this his pajamas eh judi

its only been a few months I still can't really tlk about Riliey

the guy who was calling animal control still keeps watching for him. if he only knew he was blind and and lost his mind he would stop watching my house. I guess it was hard to watch a blind, dog that lost his mind with Alzheimers. why he called animal services i don't know. a blind diabetic dog needs to walk around in circles when their mind goes to bring their blood suger down. getting another dog dunno with this guy harrasing us. will he keep calling animal services, hope this hasn't happened to anybody else.

it will take maybe a year or so to lessen the greif but I.m putting weight on and relaxing my breathing more.

miss you big boy. I love love you only every day. not sad growing .

kissing all my neighbours dogs. their touch helps
                        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Hey Folks, ... with small pictures as their Avatar.

You can increase the size of your pic significantly just by reloading it. According to Natalie, her ISP increased the allowed size a few years back. Let us get a better look at your pups!

Did mine a few weeks ago.
                          Last edited by farrwf; 11-12-2017, 06:01 PM.
                          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

What a treat to catch up with folks... And to hear about the new canine loves in your lives. People and dogs I've known, in some cases, for a decade or longer. Old friends, good people, great dogs.

Natalie

Comment

Lovely to see all your posts and also sad to see so many have gone to doggie heaven .

CJ is still going strong and surprising all his vets !! We are still traveling a lot and CJ comes everywhere with us but he takes longer to recover from the long flights now. He still has great eyesight but is deaf now. Toffee his friend passed away last year but with all the traveling and with CJ being such a full time job we felt that we would not get another dog.

Sorry I have not been on the forum so much but it is lovely to see your news.

Wishing you all the very best and your doggies too of course.

Anne Marie and CJ
                              xxx
                              Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.

Comment

Working...
                              X