Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Missed Dose - What do I do?

Hi Mel
    Vinnie might run alittle high on fasting this am. His bg should correct shortly
    Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
    20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

this routine can test us with a busy life

i think for me since i inject while jesse is eating i think that keeps me in the game and gives my brain a memory i cant forget unless i forget to feed and jesse wont let that happen

yes changing the routine like your husband not feeding and given shot will throw the routine out of whack . that maybe the disadvantage to having more than one person handling the day to day operations of this disease but i think having the help outweighs that

nobody's fault things happen we are not robots vinny will be back on track . i use these opportunities( i know strange use of words ) to test to see what happens to blood sugar without any insulin sometimes where surprised that its not as high as we expected
      Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
      Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I have an alarm on my phone that goes off when it is time for the shot. Believe me if I didn't have the alarm reminding me I would probably miss doses also, especially in the evening. In the morning it is just routine so I don't need a reminder I know I give him a shot as soon as I get up, my wake up alarm is also my reminder for that.

Comment

I realized at 6hr= BG time=1am that the NPH was still on the counter..It was suppose to be given at 7m. I hadn't slept in 36 hours taking her back and forth to the DVM since yeasterday morning to due odd high BG. After a couple hours, because there were no ketones, I was to keep everything on schedule at 7pm. I got everything ready because I worried that my lack of sleep might affect my judgement!!! I gave the NPH 5 units at 1:00am because her BG>500..She would only eat a small amt of chicken breast and refused her prescription diet. Due to her refusal to eat on 8/4 he ordered 1/2 dose @11:30 am and then due to screwed up BG, he ordered her NPH 5 units at 7am yesterday..The, she ended up at DVM's yesterday, back home yesterday afternoon and "Boy, did I screw up"..I will take her BG frequently but am not sure when and what determines next Insulin dosage???
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...kSM/edit#gid=0
          Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
          https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

I posted on this thread but just saw yours..I didn't say shucks..I gave tghe 5units of NPH that was then 18 hours late-woke up at 1 am to check nadir BG as saw the insulin syringed full on the counter..I gave it due to >500 BG..The next scheduled time is 7am??? Thanks for all of these really helpful messages. I anticipated that lack of sleep might cause poor judgement so I drew up the insulin before tending to my other dogs and lyin down for 1 hour...Thanks for reading...Fran
            Squeaker, 15yo, 8.4 lbs, chihuahua, diagnosed 4/26/2021. Diabetes Mellitus 1 +Adrenal Dependent Cushings.
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wD4/edit#gid=0

Comment

you have a four hour window if you miss a dose. give the full amount insulin within that 4 hours. if its over wait give the full dose next injection time.

I gave the R fast acting insulin to my Riles to bring his bg down in 30 minutes. just 1 unit. then gave his regular injection at the 12 hour mark. something to discuss with you vet eh
              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
              X