Nitro passed away October 28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitro passed away October 28

My name is Hazel and I'm from Brisbane Australia,my dog Nitro has diabetes Melittis and now also been diagnosed with Cushings, he's an 11 year old Staffy who is my best friend and I Love him more than anything.

Here's his story, in mid August this year he was trying to jump up on my bed(yep they sleep inside) when my little girl dog Mia(a.k.a the Devil Dog) thought he was going to get her bone so she attacked him and got him in the eye, by the end of the following week his eye was really red and when I took him to the Emergency vet they said that it had ruptured and couldn't be saved so he had to have his left eye removed, during the pre-op blood tests they found out he had diabetes and thought he may have had cushings as well due to his chubby tummy(we all thought it was due to the fact that he likes his food lol), skin infection, excessive weeing and drinking and the fact that the infection in his eye took hold so quickly.

Then last week he was back in again after getting a bone stuck in his esophagus(luckily he only had grazes)and they did 3 blood tests and it was positive that he has Cushings, we're now just waiting for the meds to arrive at the vets from the manufacturers.

Well that's our story, sorry if we bored you but I wanted to let you know how it was found out for us.

Look forward to chatting to you all again.

Re: Hi, I'm new here

Welcome,
    I too have a dog with Cushings, diabetes and hypothyroidism. Is your dog on trilostane? Did you have an Acth test done THere is a forum for Cushings dogs. THere you will find lots of info on Cush pups There are a few there that their dogs have diabetes and cushings. Here is the link, Please check it out. http://caninecushings.net/ Are you home testing? What kind of insulin is he on? Just want to welcome you Hazel PLease post more info on Nitro. Have to run Will post tomorrow!
    Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

Hi Hazel,

Nice to see you here!

You and Marianne, who posted just above me, will have to get acquainted on the Cushings board since you are both there as well!

I know the forum thing is fairly new to you. I may copy some of what you've written about Nitro on the Cushings board to here if it will answer some of the bunches of questions I know members will be asking you.

Once again, welcome!

Natalie

Comment

HI and WELCOME!

Sorry about Nitro - this is a great place for information, as is the Cushings forum.
        Apollo has has diabetes for almost 2 yrs now and this past summer we tested for Cushings.
        Don't be afraid to ask questions - we too are still learning

good luck - this is all treatable and our furbabies can lead a full life.

Debbie and Apollo
        Apollo -13.2 lbs. Since 12/24/06. Vetsulin - 7.0 units 2x's a day. Royal Canin-Digestive Low Fat LF dry & canned. Chlorestoral meds once a day. Fish Oil 2x's a day. Potassium Citrate Granules for bladder stones.

Comment

Hi Hazel and Nitro, and a big, fat welcome to you! I'm pretty new here myself; joined less than a month ago. My dog only has diabetes, so my life is simpler than yours.

I noticed you said yep; your dogs live inside, and I chuckled at that, because I expect it's more common in North America, maybe in the UK, too, for dogs to live inside than it might be in Australia, or, for that matter, in New Zealand.

So is it common in Australia for dogs to live in the house? Or not?

I think all dogs who live in the house, with their human and other animal-companions, do better as the parts of the family they really are, or should be.

You do have a bit of a handful, with both diabetes and Cushings; I wish you the best of luck with both. Do stay with us! Keep reporting, when you can! You should get great responses here.

So, welcome!
          Thu, 9 Oct 2008 06:27:11
          http://www.coherentdog.org/
          CarolW

Comment

Hi Hazel,

Welcome to the diabetes board. Glad to see you here - tons of info just like the cushing's board.

Has Nitro started the trilostane yet? Once he starts it you really need to keep an eye on his bg's. Before Lady was on trilo she was getting 11 units of insulin twice a day - after being on the trilo for a few weeks her bg's dropped and we had to reduce the insulin to 5 units twice a day. Here is a link to her story - her story is also on the cushing's board but this is a shorter one http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73

Ask all the questions you want - we're all here to help you. Good luck with Nitro and hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
            Lynne and Lady
            Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hi Hazel ,
              Welcome to you and Nitro!! This is a good place to come, with very knowledgeable and caring people. If it was not for this group, Cara (8 yr old English Setter, diagnosed DM Aug.1/08) and I would not be where we are at now!
              Hugs for Nitro!
              Marion

Comment

Welcome Hazel and Nitro!

Boy, from what you posted, I think Nitro is a VERY good name for him because he sounds like he keeps you on your toes!

We're all waiting to hear more about this high-power guy of yours!

Kathy

Comment

Hi Hazel,
                  I am another crossover from the cushings board. I am also an Aussie just outside Melbourne. Welcome, I know you will get some great advise and support here for Nitro and diabetes.
                  Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Welcome to Hazel and Nitro...so glad that you have found this board. There is a wealth of information and support here, and I know you will find what you need. This is a journey, and you could say that you and your Nitro have just set out, and the moderators and members here are your GPS system...they are all here to guide you along the way. So happy you are here!!

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Welcome Hazel and Nitro , lots of help here, the diagnosis is scary at first but we somehow get thru it. Niki is a diabetic, she went blind about 2 yrs ago and does very well with her blindness she is border collie/aussie shepard/blue heeler mix and thinks she is the boss. She has done well with her being blind, she plays soccer now, can jump up in my SUV and runs all around the house.

I'm sorry about Nitro's eye that had to be hard.

Ask any questions even if you think they are crazy or stupid, we have already asked them
                      Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Originally posted by rhodesian46 View Post
                        Welcome,
                        I too have a dog with Cushings, diabetes and hypothyroidism. Is your dog on trilostane? Did you have an Acth test done THere is a forum for Cushings dogs. THere you will find lots of info on Cush pups There are a few there that their dogs have diabetes and cushings. Here is the link, Please check it out. http://caninecushings.net/ Are you home testing? What kind of insulin is he on? Just want to welcome you Hazel PLease post more info on Nitro. Have to run Will post tomorrow!
                        Hi Marianne, yeah I'm also a member at caninecushings, he started on trilostane on friday and will have the ACTH Stim test on the 28th to see how's it's going. Nitro is on Caninsulin .25 dose and will have a blood test on the same day as his other test to see if it needs to be altered. So far he's doing fine on all things.

Thanks all for your kind welcome

I have a question that I hope NEVER happens- one of the vets said that IF Nitro ever goes into diabetic shock to rub glucose syrup or honey on his gums, has anyone ever had to do this or can anyone offer any alternatives to use?
                        Last edited by Nitro's Mum; 10-20-2008, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
                          Hi Hazel and Nitro, and a big, fat welcome to you! I'm pretty new here myself; joined less than a month ago. My dog only has diabetes, so my life is simpler than yours.

I noticed you said yep; your dogs live inside, and I chuckled at that, because I expect it's more common in North America, maybe in the UK, too, for dogs to live inside than it might be in Australia, or, for that matter, in New Zealand.

So is it common in Australia for dogs to live in the house? Or not?

I think all dogs who live in the house, with their human and other animal-companions, do better as the parts of the family they really are, or should be.

You do have a bit of a handful, with both diabetes and Cushings; I wish you the best of luck with both. Do stay with us! Keep reporting, when you can! You should get great responses here.

So, welcome!
                          Thu, 9 Oct 2008 06:27:11

Hi Carol, it's not common for dogs to live inside here in Australia except if they're little breeds or show dogs, I do it because where I live we have alot of venomous snakes(my cat Freddie was killed by one) that come into the yard as we have bush right behind our back fence and I don't want to lose them, you should've seen me when Freddie died, I don't want to go through that again so I keep them inside especially now that the weather is getting hotter, otherwise they run around the back yard like crazy things lol.

Comment

Re: Nitro - Hi, I'm new here

Good to hear Nitro's doing well!

That's so sad about Freddie! All our critters are indoor only (the cats) or mainly indoor (the dog) cuz I just can't stand to have something bad happen to them out there.

We are still freaking out any time this crazy new dog goes careening toward a piece of furniture INSIDE the house! LOL Our diabetic dog was blind the last four years of his life and we haven't yet adjusted to a dog who can see!

Natalie

Comment

Re: Nitro - Hi, I'm new here

Hi Hazel,

Just checking to see how Nitro is doing. Hoping all is going well. Hugs to the two of you.

Luv,
                              Lynne and Lady
                              Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Working...
                              X