This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes, Diets, and Dog Food Ratings

The problem with the dog food ratings are that they seem to be based on the highest protein - lowest carb components which doesn't necessarily translate to working well with insulin. So, those sites that rate dog foods are great to see the ingredient panels and some of the analysis but some of the better foods may not be "5" 's so I personally wouldn't put too much stock in it.

There are so many brands people on here have used with success and I know it is frustrating to say it is different for every dog and not really come out and endorse one or the other. A prime example of two foods I tried that other people were using are Blue Weight Management and Wellness. Maggie didn't do well on either one but that doesn't really speak to the quality of the foods at all. They are good foods - just not good for her. Many other dogs have done fine on both of those. I took a chance and tried something that shouldn't have worked with her pancreatitis issues if you just looked at the percentages on the label but it works for her better than any food I have tried before.

I would go with something that is readily available locally even if you plan to order it online. You don't want to get stuck without it. Get some samples if you can. I think a good starting place is all things in moderation - moderate protein, moderate carbs, and moderate to lower fat.

Food isn't going to make a magical difference unless you have a difficult dog that refuses to eat many foods or if previously mentioned picky dog has an issue like pancreatitis or a digestive issue. Maggie's food is miraculous because she likes it and she doesn't throw up all the time. The fact that her diabetes stays pretty steady on it is a bonus. I wouldn't care if it was made out of cardboard or the lowest rated food imaginable if it enables her to stay alive.
    Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......
Working...
X