Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 05-14-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

After reading all these stories about your dogs and what they eat I'm beginning to think my dog has OCD.

Snickers won't eat off the floor or out of a plastic dish, won't drink out of a bowl if a dog she doesn't know has already taken a drink (she will drink after friends, guess she's not a total snob).

Before she was diabetic and could see she had a multi colored food - she ate by colors, in the same order every day. She also must have treats in "order" during the day, carrots after alpo snaps, that sort of thing. And location counts too - treats (and now her shots) are by the fireplace during the Christmas season - that's where her stocking is. During Easter it's in the dining room by her Easter basket. And don't even think about trying to get her to eat pressed deli meat.

We love her but she really is a diva compared to a normal dog..
Snickers is a 17 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. - She weighs 34 lbs, eats Earthborn Great Plains Feast, snacks on Sea Mobility Joint Rescue treats and carrots. Supplements with collagen+vitamin C, and d-mannose . - Takes 9 units Novolin N twice a day.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
We love her but she really is a diva compared to a normal dog..
They're all such little characters!!
Old 05-20-2017, 04:17 PM

I had recently opened a new bottle of insulin and Daisy's BG level bottomed out, so I reduced her by around .9 unit. I re regulated her and we were doing okay.

I noticed she was losing too much weight, so yesterday I upped her Stewbie from around 1 cup to about 1 1/4 cup per meal and no change in the chicken. She weighed 27.8lb at diagnosis (yes, she was chunky) and now she's down to 21 and looks thin to me. The vet wants her at 18, which I think that's thin for her. The extra 1/4c will give her around 600+ calories a day and hopefully keep her weight steady at 21.

Now I have to re regulate her again, her BG was at 463 this morning, 10 am at 235 then back up again to 467 this evening. This morning I gave her 4.5 units and tonight we went back to her original dose of 4.9.

I didn't realize how much 1/4 of a cup extra would throw her BG level through the roof.

What do you think?
Old 05-20-2017, 05:35 PM
Founding Member

as far as weight we as a society have gotten use to seeing animals and humans at a heavier weight . jesse is a lean 25 pound beagle. in my head i think she should look more beefy as her beagle friends look but she has maintained that weight for several years and is doing well so i accept that this weight is best for her . no ribs showing or that kind of stuff

as far as regulation adding more food can throw regulation off and its possible you may struggle to get back to the balance you had with blood sugar . its such a delicate balance . it could be just one ingredient made a difference or a combination of things

we all have been there .made a change and the wheels came off but it maybe temporary and you wont know until things settle for a bit . possibly a couple weeks
jesse-26 lbs - 13 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

It doesn't seem like much but 1/4 cup is quite a bit of food. When you think about percentages, it is probably a larger percentage increase than you might think. A corresponding increase in insulin, in theory, should work but we all know how that can go. Just go through the process. You might try increasing by 1/8 cup then go up another 1/8 cup more gradually. Timing sometimes is everything.

I once had Maggie regulated well but she was just really thin looking. My vet said he just really wanted her to gain some weight. She felt much better with the increased mass and she looked better too but it took me about six months. Sometimes progress is a snail's pace with diabetes.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
made a change and the wheels came off
Boy did the wheels come off!!!

Quote:
You might try increasing by 1/8 cup then go up another 1/8 cup more gradually.
That's exactly what I'm going to do. Hopefully I can get her re regulated quickly.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:22 PM

I upped her food from 1c to 1 1/4 c per 12 hours at injection and her BG levels were back in the 300-500 range. So I backed up and went slow and sure enough her numbers started looking good again- between 125-220. I'm a happy camper.
At 7p I checked her and she was 80, fed her 1 1/4c, dropped her insulin by .2 and just checked her at 9p and she's at 79 so I gave her some more Stewbie and a couple baby carrots. I'll check her at 11p and see where we're at. She's bottoming out again.
Last time we were at the vet, I told her I thought I had Daisy pretty well regulated. She looked at me and winked and said "for now....remember, she's a schnauzer".
Old 05-26-2017, 07:47 AM

Daisy just ate bubble gum.
She's at 288.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Founding Member

you might want to google gum and dogs i dont think its good for them

would not worry about blood sugar
jesse-26 lbs - 13 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 05-26-2017, 06:14 PM

Hope is wasn't sugar free. Xylitol sweetner is very dangerous for dogs.
10.5 yr mini-schnauzer, diagnosed Sept. 2015, currently 17.5 units Novolin N 2x day; diet W/D, tblsp pumpkin, Advocate PetTester tester/strips & Alpha-Trak2 for alternative (when I question weird BG readings); blind as of March 1, 2016