Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Daisy's Story

This is from one of the pages from Natalie on the forum and the curve looked similar to Daisy's:

Quote:
In this curve, the blood sugar falls sharply because there is more action from the insulin in the first three hours after the injection is given. The food isn't keeping up with the insulin. And then the insulin runs out (because it was used up so quickly) and the blood sugar goes high again.
So my question is- do you add more fat? More protein? More fiber? What foods will allow the the food to keep up with the insulin?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:08 PM

I think this is the curve you are referring to...

I'm no food expert, but one way to prolong the duration of insulin would be to add more complex carbohydrates (fiber) to diet.

Funny thing though... Looking at that curve, my first thought is that it might be Somogyi Rebound, with the body reacting to a fast drop in BG buy releasing stored glucose.
Nulo Adult Trim Cod & Lentils, Pumpkin, FortiFlora, Dasuquin, Thyroxine
Old 08-31-2017, 07:14 PM
Founding Member

you would need highly digestible food .things like protein digest slowly . fiber slows the overall process of digestion . fat puts stress on the pancreas .

i remember giving Jesse pancakes . white rice potatoes and bread . i think with jesse her digestive system had a problem so things just did not digest very well . so she struggled with dropping blood sugar early after insulin

we improved things by splitting her dose . half with dinner and the other half 2 hours latter

my thought insulin isnt running out its just being overwhelmed by internal sugar reserves but we cant know for sure . its all a bit of a guess but if you guess wrong you can be going in the wrong direction as i did with jesse .

i actually had to take a break from the forum because my head was going to explode and needed a quiet place to figure things out

the one thing with the forum its a great resource but it seems to be difficult to find the perfect answer for your situation . why that is i dont know . jesse is my Frankenstein diabetic . i took pieces and parts from others and created something unique

there was not one individual that could tell me what to do and i could not understand why and the reason there just is to many factors that come into play thats unique to each individual dog

you will figure it out. may not be perfect but workable . jesse has had a pretty good run lately she goes in and out of quality regulation with her range . usually for her a reduction helps . down to a couple units per shot . mind boggling for a 25 pound dog and if i went by the typical rules jesse would have not reached her book on regulation
jesse-26 lbs - 13 years old - 8 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of novolin a day sometimes novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar . total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of nph insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 PM

Her nadir runs about 6 hours later around 190. (I don't have her regulated yet, I was going to go another .5 units Saturday if her curve showed she needed it which I'm sure it will) I've checked her at about a week straight at 430-5p and she's at 225 or so. Then around 5:30 -6p she's at 450 again. She eats around 615ish, sometimes closer to 630, 12 hours apart.

I let her settle in for at least 3-4 days before I slowly change her food. Tonight I gave her Hills Weight Mgt. that had more fiber in it along with her Stewbie. I just checked her and she hasn't come down much. So I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

So I can't tell if it's Somogyi or her insulin is running out early or maybe like Jessegirl said, sugar reserves.

Quote:
we improved things by splitting her dose . half with dinner and the other half 2 hours latter
I can see why. When she was in the 750+ a couple weeks ago the vet told me to give her 3 units, then 2 hours later another 3. She was down to 300 at fasting.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 PM

I also see good results when I split my dog's dose.

I split Snicker's dose when she doesn't eat right away (often caused when her bg is running high). She gets half the dose before she eats, a walk around the block, and then assuming she eats she get the other half. The second dose is usually 1 hour later.

The split dose almost always helps bring her numbers in line right away as opposed to floating down over a few days.
Snickers is a 17 year old Skye terrier mix. - Diagnosed 12-1-15. - She weighs 34 lbs, eats Earthborn Great Plains Feast, snacks on Sea Mobility Joint Rescue treats and carrots. Supplements with collagen+vitamin C, and d-mannose . - Takes 9 units Novolin N twice a day.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 PM

hi.

i dont say its curve time. it takes a week for changes. you just fed hills. yesterday you fed Daisy NAtural balance.

i would stick with the Stewie feeding the right amount of food according to her weight. okay this is important. wait a week then do a curve without any changes.

regulation is under 250 .

right amount of food meeting up with insulin also adding timed exercise.

no additives. no changes for at least 7 days then do a curve

i.d stop the R fast acting insulin to see the effects of the nph long acting insulin. unless Daisy is very high bg say 500

questiions
are you injecting right after feeding??
are you injecting close to a blood supple mid back above the front leg
how much stewie r you feeding?

mo
Old 09-01-2017, 03:33 AM

Quote:
are you injecting right after feeding??
are you injecting close to a blood supple mid back above the front leg
how much stewie r you feeding?
I'm injecting at feeding. Actually right when she's eating.
I get her sample from her ear and inject up and down her mid back, alternating sides.
She used to get 1 1/8 cup Stewbie. She's now on 1/2 c Stewbie and the rest doggie food.

We walk approximately 1 mile every evening, depending on the heat.

I use the R because around 530am-pm she jumps up from mid 200's to 4-500's. If I can get her in closer range, I can discontinue the R.

She was pretty well regulated on Stewbie and 4.9 (no R at all) units up until a month ago. When she stopped her antibiotics for a UTI, the next day is when she went out of whack and started 600-700's at fasting and hasn't been right since. Her vet said it was her food so I slowly was adding RC Glycol. It made her miserable so I've been trying to get a dog food that agrees with and doesn't have too much fat and more fiber. I don't know what to do.

Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:43 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Just wondering how you are measuring .9 units?

Craig
Old 09-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Just a teensy bit under 5 on the 3/8 syringes. If I hit 5 she would go up, but if I stayed a teensy bit under 5, she was fine. So I call it 4.9.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydog10 View Post
I'm injecting at feeding. Actually right when she's eating.
I get her sample from her ear and inject up and down her mid back, alternating sides.
She used to get 1 1/8 cup Stewbie. She's now on 1/2 c Stewbie and the rest doggie food.

We walk approximately 1 mile every evening, depending on the heat.

I use the R because around 530am-pm she jumps up from mid 200's to 4-500's. If I can get her in closer range, I can discontinue the R.

She was pretty well regulated on Stewbie and 4.9 (no R at all) units up until a month ago. When she stopped her antibiotics for a UTI, the next day is when she went out of whack and started 600-700's at fasting and hasn't been right since. Her vet said it was her food so I slowly was adding RC Glycol. It made her miserable so I've been trying to get a dog food that agrees with and doesn't have too much fat and more fiber. I don't know what to do.

Thanks!!!!!!!
a 1/2 cup is good according to her weight
adding more food then that will raise her blood sugar
if the problem started after stopping the antibiotics i would think theres still an infection.
blood tests will solve that.
maybe Daisy girl needs another round of antibiotics?
hows her peeing? and water intake?