Hershey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hershey

I think .25u per kg is the conservative starting dose for NPH. That would be just under 8u for a 67 lb dog. That’s not to say that’s what yours will end up needing, but that would be the conservative starting dose.
    Last edited by Lolo; 04-22-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

I am calling vet in morning. Thinking we need to increase 1 unit at one week intervals with spot checks and a curve towards the end until we reach an optimal point or fail once again. If we continue to fail I am beginning to think it is something else going on.

Comment

Are you seeing diabetic symptoms with excessive thirst and urination ?
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Yes the thirst, hunger and urination has never gone away.

Comment

That in itself may point to the dose is not enough . I might even suggest going up 2 units on your next curve if numbers are above 400

It appears you did see 2 decent curves at 15 units and 17 units at one time . Diabetic symptoms should have not been present at that time so could there be something else going on . I believe your pup had a UTI . Has that cleared ?
            Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .

Comment

So is hard to catch vet, most time have to leave him a message and then someone from office calls back. Gave him the numbers which now include 3 over 600, the last being 658. But he wants to keep her at 8 units for another week. Her UTI had cleared up, but possible she could have another. Love doing my own curves and so does vet, however hasn't seen her physically since.

Comment

Usually doses of Vetsulin and NPH are fairly similar so I suspect that 8 units is just too low of a starting point and I wouldn't want to wait two weeks to raise the dose when it's half of what the Vetsulin dose was.

If it was my dog, I'd go up at least to 10 units and see if the blood sugar is low enough to hold there.

We kept out diabetic dog on a low dose far too long so that the vets would finally GET that it wasn't symogi rebound and it was hard on Chris' body. I wouldn't be comfortable sitting with blood sugar in the 600s for weeks knowing that the dose most likely is too low.

I think find a dose that gets the blood sugar into the 400s and then you could sit at that dose for a week or two and see if it changes as time goes on.

Natalie

Comment

That is exactly what I am planning to do. Already dosed her this morning, glucose before insulin was 461, yesterday morning before insulin it was 395 but my biggest deciding factor is last night at bedtime check it was 691. If the vet does not like my decision then perhaps it is time to find a different vet. I searched amazon for keytone tests strips for dogs, ordered and now that they should be here tomorrow not sure if they are for dogs, is there a difference in the keytone test strips?

Comment

Originally posted by Phyllis Diot View Post
                    That is exactly what I am planning to do. Already dosed her this morning, glucose before insulin was 461, yesterday morning before insulin it was 395 but my biggest deciding factor is last night at bedtime check it was 691. If the vet does not like my decision then perhaps it is time to find a different vet. I searched amazon for keytone tests strips for dogs, ordered and now that they should be here tomorrow not sure if they are for dogs, is there a difference in the keytone test strips?
                    I don't think so. I just got ketone strips from the pharmacy for my dog.
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

I also just use people ketone strips. It’s probably a good idea if Hershey is running that high consistently.

Comment

several ketone checks all good. Since increased to 10 units haven't been as high as the 691 but still a lot of 600 numbers.

Comment

thats positive news

Are you seeing a lower nadir ?

Comment

Not really. Will do the curve on Mon or Tue for vet but spot checks based on insulin around 8 am and 730 pm changed dose from 8 to 10 on evening of 24th. At 2220 it was 638. next day at 1045 was 642, 1410 was 638, 1829 was 464 and at 2200 back to 639.
                            Yesterday spot check before morning insulin was 431, 1215 was 643 and 2210 was 553. today so far before breakfast was 355 but at 1330 was 628 and haven't checked yet tonight.

Comment

RE Hershey:

Haven't been on in a while but really stressed now. Been on the NPH since april and good curve but not good numbers. But noticed the other day she was doing a lot of squatting without peeing after initial pee. Told myself to tell vet today I think she is getting a UTI and why, but yesterday morning after initial pee appeared her continued squats were producing blood. Vet appointment this morning so took a urine sample with me as was still bloody. But says not blood after testing it is Bilirubin. Kept her for exrays and blood work. He sent us home with meds for UTI and another for liver. Said she appears to be one of those rare cases of insulin resistance. Was on 22 units wants to increase to 25, check UTI in a week and more blood work in about a month. Sounds to me like perhaps a liver problem has been the issue all along and now suffering from liver disease. Her high numbers were the ALT, GLU, ALKP and CHOL all pointing in that direction. So stressed. Anyone else have any good stories relating to this situation.

Comment

I feel 4 u...my vet too is challenging to get to understand it's not working at 4 or 5 units 2x day unless they do curve themselves or further expensive tests I use alpha track 2 @home closely monitor it & have degree in human emergency medicine so I AM COMPETENT in managing this but want & need vets help...I have 3 cockers all are geriatric so $$$$ & I am on disability & no other source of help. Feels like it's all about making $$$$$$$ and I CAN'T TOLERATE THAT! Good luck!♡♡♡♡
                                Its challenging but this forum is really helpful stuck with it you will get thru this♡
                                Last edited by Molye's Mom♡; 06-21-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X