Autumn is an angel August 21, 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Update on Autumn

The Novolin N and Relion N are exactly the same insulin product and are interchangeable.

The Relion-boxed N is only available at Walmart though.

Comment

Originally posted by Autumn View Post
      Hi Dolly
      I'm not giving too much dry. Hand full. I do worry that may play a roll in her BGs but worry she'll be too hungry without the dry.

I tried giving her broccoli last week. I over did it. I felt so bad, as she had such gas following dinner. I felt like such a bad Mom, that day. I'm still trying to incorporate the fiber. I may have to do a touch of the metmucil because Audy is not liking the veggies.
      Anna
      I gave Devon a piece of broccoli since so many people feed it to their dogs. Wrinkled up his big nose said "no REALLY don't like it not ever gonna eat it". If I made a broccoli and cheese sandwich he might eat it. How on earth do people get their dogs to eat that stuff? His predecessor loved vegetables and most fruits so it was easier with her.

Have you tried the green beans? You can get canned with no salt added, frozen or at this time of the year you can get fantastic deals on fresh ones and steam them at home. Devon eats the canned ones best but they HAVE to be french cut or he spits some out.

snow<--person
      Devon<--doggie

Comment

I've been giving my perfectly healthy 3yo dog a bit of psyllium seed (metamucil) to add fiber to his homecooked/raw diet. He also gets (and loves, (bless him) vegies). I've found a good way to add the psyllium is to mix it into a small portion of warmed chicken stock and pour that over the food.

BTW, I would be a bit wary of using pumpkin (which is a popular source of fiber for dogs) with a diabetic as it has a high glycemic index which basically means the carbs in it are released rapidly and can lead to a spike in blood glucose. (The glycemic index of pumpkin is actually worse than carrots!) Some probably do well with it and even benefit from the little bit of quick-release carbs but for some it could be a problem. The other vegies like green beans seem to be pretty much a "free lunch" for diabetics though.

Alison

Comment

Hi Eyelostit
          I found the Orijen. Thanks for recommending it. It's not too close of a drive but well worth the ride. She loves it and she eats it all.
          Last edited by Autumn; 08-25-2009, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Thanks Natalie
            I didn't realize it was only available at Walmart. This may have been mentioned before but I do have a dizzy streak in me. It will be worth the trip for the savings.

Audy is so happy now. I just love she is up and has good energy! We had visitors past weekend. Total of 4 dogs together. Audy had such a great time.

We will go back to vet in a couple weeks to check on her UTI.

Comment

Hi Snow
              I think we will have to stick with Green Beans only....for now. I mushed them up and she didn't know they were there. I think Audy thinks like Devon. Veggies ...Yuk. Cheese, Yum.

Comment

Hi AlisonandMia
                That's terrific he loves veggies! I had gone to buy pumpkin. I was apprehensive because I noticed the brands they have here have sugar. I don't want to fool with Autumn's BGs. Especially now since we are still adjusting. She is doing better.

I think I will give the metamucil a try. I'm nervous to add anything. I have to figure out what a good dose would be for 29 pound dog. How did you figure out how much to give?
                Thank You!

Comment

Sorry for the delay getting back to you - been sick with a cold/'flu type thing.

With the psyllium/metamucil - Zac weighs about 45 - 50 lbs and he gets around about two heaped teaspoons per day divided over two meals. But he isn't diabetic - it's possible that a diabetic could benefit from a bit more judging from the amount of fiber there seems to be in the high fiber dog foods that are often recommended for diabetic dogs.

If I was you I'd start with a small amount (say a teaspoon per day divided equally between feeds) and increase it (if you think it's necessary) every 3 or 4 days. That way you are less likely to get any upset either gut upset or bg weirdness.

After a bit of experimentation I've found that a really good way to give it is to mix it into a small amount of chicken stock and pour it over the food. If you mix it up in advance it sort of solidifies into a gel - Zac gulps this down with great enthusiasm - but then again, as you may have gathered, he isn't what you'd call a fussy dog. I think mixing it fresh and pouring it over/mixing it with some wet food may be your best bet.

I've been using plain psyllium husks (not Metamucil brand) which you can get from a health food store or supermarket. Whatever you use make sure it isn't flavored or sweetened (a lot of Metamucil products seem to be.)

Alison

Comment

I used Benefiber with Buddy. I really don't know it if helped but he did so well that I was afraid to stop it. I started Buddy on a half teaspoon and just sprinkled it on the canned food and it dissolved into it. The last few years he was getting around a teaspoon on each meal. Buddy was only around 11lbs and even if it didn't help with the BG levels it did keep him regular if you know what I mean.

Jenny

Comment

I hope you are feeling back to 100%, Alison.

I was thinking Metamucil may have sugar. I will look into the Benefiber. Did you notice any time Buddy shy away from eating with Benefiber added. I notice when I have added a little something, Audy is on to me, and walks away from food. I end up making her a new dinner. We do have a health food store near by. I will look in there as well.

Audy seemed to almost always have loose stool. As my daughter would say, TMI.
                      It concerned me so. I noticed, since we switched her food recently to the Orijen this situation has improved a lot.

Thanks! Have a great day.

Comment

Glad to hear Autumn is feeling better, and the loose stools are improving

Hugs to you both
                        Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Anna,
                          Wondering if you're still around...how are you and Audy doing?
                          Take care,
                          Patty
                          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Patty,

Sorry I have jumped in here I have sent you a visitors message.

Marg
                            Margaret & Angel Lucy July 4 2001- May 6 2011

Comment

Hi Patty
                              Thanks so much for checking in. Still lurking around and learning.

Funny, I was just thinking of updating Autumn's thread. I was looking to post on the thread re: Evo and higher bgs too. We had the same situation, switched to Wellness Core and it really makes a good difference.

Autumn is doing great! She still spikes higher than we would like after eating. She is now on 15.5 U of NPH/Relion, cranberry for UTI prevention and we use mill flaxseed for fiber. She is in the mid lower 100s during most of the day. Although it's not perfect, she is so very happy. She' is better than ever. Jumps and plays like a pup.

I can never say it enough, without this forum, we were lost. Discouraged and frustrated. Finally think we have a handle on things. You all and this forum are the best!

Hope you are doing well!

Anna

Comment

Anna,
                                That's so good to hear!

Are you using the reduced fat CORE or regular? Mix it with anything besides the fiber food-wise? I'm curious because Ali had been on it last year.

So glad she's feeling good!
                                Patty

Oh and I just saw the text under her picture...cute!
                                Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
                                X