Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

My Buddy would drop every vet visit. He could drop 5-6 (100) or more. I always made sure he got an extra treat/food after a visit.

Jenny

Comment

Well that is bizarre I must say. Having not home tested I cannot say either way. I will really try to get a good home curve.

Thanks
      Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Hello, well, after shaving Bailey's tail area I managed to get some successful readings. Unfortunately all the readings were high. At the vet at 15:15 his reading was 4.5 on the 26 April. I did it both yesterday and today at 14:30 and the readings were 12.4 Sat and 15 today (Sun)

Also at 12:35 today it was 18.2 so really not sure what is going on and am worried he is too high all the time. I will phone the vet tomorrow to book him in but with such a variance between vet and home in the space of 3-4 weeks is weird (to me)

Anyhow, will keep you posted! Thanks,
        Geoff
        Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

The best way to figure out what is happening is to do a curve, which you can now do at home.

To curve you test prior to food and injection, then every two hours after that until the evening meal.

Oh yay, more testing.

Good perseverance Geoff!
          Tara in honor of Ruby.
          She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
          Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Quick update. The only thing I can think would be different is he has been on Noroclav 250mg
            Each 250 mg tablet contains 200 mg amoxycillin and 50
            mg clavulanic acid.

Other than that his insulin is running down to 1/4 of the vial but we keep it in the fridge and only turn it up/down to mix it gently so not sure if that is causing issues. I am going to get some more tomorrow just in case. He has cataracts and I am so afraid the capsule will burst if his diabetes is not under control, apart from other problems of course. The whole thing is stressful, emotional and nerve wracking for me, I sadly am a worry wort by nature which doesn't seem to help!!

Anyhow, time for bed here, thanks.

Geoff

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
              Quick update. The only thing I can think would be different is he has been on Noroclav 250mg
              Each 250 mg tablet contains 200 mg amoxycillin and 50
              mg clavulanic acid.
              This could be some of the problem. Infections can cause BG to run higher than normal.

By the way, the 12.4mmol (223mg/dL) isn't really a bad number. Just remember, we really care what the lowest number is, so without a full curve you don't know if this 12.4mmol was the lowest, highest or somewhere in between.
              Last edited by CraigM; 05-20-2012, 08:06 AM.
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

He is on the tail end of his pills (only 1 more tonight) but he keeps getting infections poor thing. Yes you are right I should of kept going with the tests to produce a curve I think I panicked and gave up! Good advice to keep going. I have booked him into the vet in any case on Thursday.

Comment

He is on the tail end of his pills (only 1 more tonight) but he keeps getting infections poor thing. Yes you are right I should of kept going with the tests to produce a curve I think I panicked and gave up! Good advice to keep going. I have booked him into the vet in any case on Thursday.
                  what type of infections does he keep getting?

Some dog's will have higher BGs in relation to the antibiotics, even after the infection starts to clear.

When Ruby was on oral antibiotics she seemed to have erratic BGs, but on the injectable antibiotics she had consistently higher numbers. Infection antibiotics...sometimes hard to tell.
                  Tara in honor of Ruby.
                  She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.

Comment

He keeps getting urinary tract infections, although after a urine test last time they could not detect an infection yet he was licking and licking that area a lot, including at various AM times. Usually he does not do this. He has stopped again now.

Comment

• Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

HMM...I think there may be some supplements that you might be able to add that may help. It seems I have heard of other using some to help with UTIs.

Just trouble shooting here, but I see he is so nicely coiffed in his picture. Any chance the licking started after grooming?
                      Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

He keeps getting urinary tract infections, although after a urine test last time they could not detect an infection yet he was licking and licking that area a lot, including at various AM times. Usually he does not do this. He has stopped again now.
                        If his glucose is running higher he could be having a bit of 'sugary' discharge so is licking that away.

Some owners use d-mannose as a preventative for UTI's, it helps to keep the bad bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.

Eileen and Mildred, 12 yo Border Collie Mx, 24.6 pounds, dx diabetic/hypothyroid 2004, gallbladder removed 2005, cataract surgery 2005, spindle cell sarcoma removed 2009, stroke 2009, tail removed 2011, dx with bladder cancer 2011, CDS, Organix~chicken / NPH,Humalog

Comment

No, I don't groom him! He was in the pool (small kid pool - clam shell thingy) and I thought he looked cute so I took a photo (or 20) But yes perhaps he is licking the excess glucose and that causes redness which he licks more and so on.

Originally posted by Rubytuesday View Post
                          HMM...I think there may be some supplements that you might be able to add that may help. It seems I have heard of other using some to help with UTIs.

Just trouble shooting here, but I see he is so nicely coiffed in his picture. Any chance the licking started after grooming?

Comment

Oh I love the kiddy pools for dogs. I started using them for my shorthaired pointer Abby, otherwise she would just flop down in any standing water around.
                            Tara in honor of Ruby.

Comment

Geoff,
                              If Bailey's getting e.coli UTIs (the most common bacteria associated with them), D-Mannose powder might be something to look into as well as cranberry powder if his pH runs somewhat higher. They help prevent the bacteria from adhering to the bladder wall.

This is a post I shared with Margaret some time ago for more information: http://k9diabetes.com/forum/showthre...=7441#post7441

Patty
                              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hello, great replies you guys sure know your stuff! I will speak to my vet about D-Mannose. He might say the cause is too high glucose in his system therefore bacteria get a chance to breed, still, if it's "herbal" so-to-speak then it might be a good supplement to help with his infections.

Nasty business this diabetes.

Comment

Working...
                                X