This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetes & Nail Trimming

As I understand it diabetes slows healing & the dog is more prone to infections?

How does this relate to trimming nails? My wife trims our permanent dogs' nails & occasionally draws some blood.

Is this a danger to diabetic dogs?

Our foster Lucy REALLY needs a pedicure!

Rick

Re: Diabetes & Nail Trimming

They can be more prone to infections with uncontrolled diabetes. I really think its in their genes.

I don't think if you happend to hit the quik of a nail its a problem, as this has happened to Niki at the vet, once when we got in the car I saw her dew claw was bleeding and they applied more of that (skytic powder?) but I have also nipped her on occassion but never got any infection from it.

I can't say Niki has had any real infections in all these years other than her bout with the diarrhea, and the UTI if it was a UTI that just happened a few months ago.

Can you see the quik on Lucys nails or all they are black?
    Black ones are the hardest, thats what Niki has, so I more or less have to take her to the vet, cost is $15.00 but its better than fighting her to do it

There is a better pet trimmer out, runs about $60.00 its not like that one on TV maybe in time I will buy one, maybe for "Valentines Day" a gift for myself . Let me know if you need the link to this nail trimmer.
    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

From the time Ricky was a puppy until he was diagnosed at age 4, he had his nails trimmed at the nail shop where I had my nails done. The manicurist there kept a trimmer just for him (shh, don't tell anyone, I think it is against the law). I took him once a month, and before I got my nails done, she trimmed his. When I found out he was diabetic, even though this had been our routine for four years, I started taking him to the vet to get his nails trimmed. I just felt more secure having it done there, because we seemed to have more "accidents" than the vet does, and I was always so aware that with diabetics, any little thing can start that snowball rolling downhill. I think you just have to address your comfort level...and for me, at least, that meant going to the vet to get something done that I knew I could do myself. I don't regret it.

Love and hugs, Teresa and Ricky

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Lucy's nails are black. I think she can probly hold out till she's more regulated. Maybe the vet can do it while she's under for her spay.

Hopefully I'll be walking her with my own Cattle Dog & the pavement can do the job for me. Dingo just needs an occasional snip on his dewclaws & that's it.
        Which is good. He's a real terror when it comes to his feet...

Rick

Comment

Thats a good idea having it done while she is spayed. Does she have dew claws? They are the ones I worry about the most and will trim these ones as they grow in a circle and will hit the pad behind it.
          Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

No dewclaws on Lucy.

Rick

Comment

We always let the vet trim Chris' nails when they got trimmed - it was the one thing he absolutely REFUSED to cooperate with and would nip at me if I tried it. When he felt well enough, we too usually relied on his walks to wear them down to a reasonable length.

Chris' nails started out mostly white, but turned black in his later years...

Natalie

Comment

I have no doubt that Lucy would let us trim her nails. I'm just not comfortable doing it untill she's farther along. With her activity level right now I don't think it will bother her much. We even went for a short walk on pavement last week & she seemed fine.

The wound on her leg is looking better every day. I'm just going to concentrate on that for now. I was really worried about it for awhile. A less enclosed (more breathable) bandage seems to be doing the trick. The skin/scar tissue there is just SO thin...

She was giving some thought to chasing the ball with Dingo today. I could SEE the wheels turning in her head. She wanted to but just couldn't screw up the courage... for today.

She has a REALLY handsome gait. Almost a prance like you see foofoo dogs do in the show ring. I said ALMOST. Lucy is a Cattle Dog, and Cattle Dogs do NOT prance!

Rick

Comment

A little prancing, my, shows how happy she is !!!

Comment

Working...
                  X