Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Newbie needing help

hey Donna

to see the results of reducing the insulin does takes time. 7 days
keep testing you and your husband are doing great

patients

if max goes low again reduce another .5
Old 10-16-2021, 02:44 PM

Quite the opposite - He hit 550 before dinner at 7 units...
Donna and Max
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM

looks like you got fasting test in a couple of times, try again for a morning test before food if you can.

you dropt to 6 1/2 just the other day and now back up to 7 . fluctuating his blood sugar.

its recommended to stay on one dose wait 7 days , do a curve then adjust the insulin according to the lowest number
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Here's the latest. He threw up his breakfast this morning... I know the rule of don't eat, don't inject, but this doesn't seem to fit into that category. He ate, I injected. He vomited about half of it.???
I don't expect a vet opinion here: As I've had an EPI dog, a couple of DM dogs, and IBD dog, and been on many lists, just seeking experience...
Of course I checked his glucose throughout the day and it did run as it normally does. I injected after he ate tonight as his glucose was 338 before dinner.

Donna and Max
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

see if he,ll eat his vomit next time. sounds gross but it works. rule of thumb from a diabetic dog owner with 12 yr forum experience (i.m the youngest here lol) inject 1/4 does if they eat nothing, 1/2 dose inject when half the food.

you can test at fasting then feed then test again then wait till the blood sugar is over 200 .

here about the chicken crossing the street in rushhour traffic trying to get to the other side, every day he made it until one day his luck ran out.
Old Today, 11:54 AM
Founding Member

I only fed jesse one meal a day and a shot of insulin for most of her diabetic life without a meal but i did give her a vitabone with that injection . I think it worked out to a quarter to a third of the normal dose with her full meal

Its general knowledge that you can give a quarter of the normal dose without food and incrementally take it higher depending how much food is consumed

Something to be aware of and you probably know this from other dogs you had with digestive issue that diabetic dogs are prone to pancreatitis and so you might know it can be serious . I am usually on the 3 day program . If things have not improved in 3 days and have gotten worse it maybe time for a vet visit

I usually fasted my jesse for 24 hours if she has digestive issues and that incudes her stools like diarrhea and I have gone up to 48 hours and that worked for her every time she had an issue which I believed was her pancreas heating up . She did have a severe case of pancreatitis early in her diagnosis
Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021