Sammie Addisons/Diabetes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sammie Addisons/Diabetes

Hey all! Long time, no post but have been lurking. I've searched for info on preventing UTI's in dogs as Sammie was just diagnosed with one. I do understand it's common in diabetic dogs and, while we don't have a "perfect" curve, I believe she's fairly regulated ranging from 73 to 250 for the past few months on the same dosage.

While I am very aware of the symptoms to look for and treating is fairly inexpensive I am just curious if there is anything I can do or give her that might prevent this from happening again?

Be well!
    Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

• Re: Urinary tract infection in regulated dog

Hi Karen,

I know that Patty used Mannose for Ali, and I also believe that Amy uses it for her Maggie.

I used Cranberry, but that does change the PH level in the urine, so it is a good idea to check the PH levels with the Urine strips. Abby only had two initially when she was first diagnosed.

Both of these are administered to prevent a UTI.

Barb
      Barb & Abby 12/24/1999-12/31/2013 ~ dx 5/10/2011 ~ Forever in my heart ~

Comment

• Sammie Addisons/Diabetes - insulin needs changed due to?

We've been doing really well the last 5 months with a steady dose of 21 units of Humulin N in the morning and 11 units at night. Starting a couple of weeks ago Sammie has been hypo in the morning on 4 different occasions so, obviously, I need to lower her dosage but I am struggling to figure out why it would change all of a sudden.

She's been a little itchier due to her allergies I believe - would the constant scratching be enough to act as exercise that would lower her blood sugar?

or... do you guys find dosages change with the seasons? It's noticeably warmer the last couple of weeks.

Any insight would be very helpful!
        Karen & Sammie 65 lb Female Golden Retriever/Collie 12 years old. Addisons and diabetes diagnosed June, 2011. 15 U am/ 8 U pm Novolin N & 2 mg of Prednisone/day. 3 cups Nature's Variety Limited Ingredient Lamb split into 4x a day feedings.

Comment

• Re: Sammie Addisons/Diabetes

yes the seasons can have an impact which i guess includes the onset of allergies

do you have any curves and or numbers prior and during the hypo events that you can post

you got a few things occurring with you program that if just one part changes it could affect everything with medication and additional illnesses .

my jesse has had a period of lower numbers just recently . at best for her is maybe 2 months of consistency if we are lucky so always have to be on our toes .

time to put on the detective cap and get the ball rolling . any other changes medication diet that kind of stuff .
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

The D Mannose works good for Maggie. Both of her recent UTI's occurred when we had run out of it. The only place to get it here(the good brand) is across town and a place I only go in the daylight - of course that is pretty much all of Little Rock these days.
            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hello,

I have a 12 year old Westie that was diagnosed with Cushings 4 years ago and shortly thereafter went into Addison's caused by medication. Over the last 3 years, she's been relatively well regulated by taking 2.5 mg of pred every 3 days and 1 1/2 fludrocortisone every morning and 1 fludrocortisone each night (.1 mg). Today, while at the vet for a level check, we found that her electrolytes were good but blood glucose was in the 600s. She weighs 18.8 ibs.

My vet is consulting with an internist in another city as he's never treated a patient with both Addison's and Diabetes. I'm waiting for a call back from him in the morning with a plan, as her meds will have to be changed in order for her to receive insulin.

I'm looking for any and all advice on this, as I'm kind of at a loss on what to expect.

Thanks,

Chelsey

Comment

Originally posted by Lilly'sMom View Post
                Hello,

I have a 12 year old Westie that was diagnosed with Cushings 4 years ago and shortly thereafter went into Addison's caused by medication. Over the last 3 years, she's been relatively well regulated by taking 2.5 mg of pred every 3 days and 1 1/2 fludrocortisone every morning and 1 fludrocortisone each night (.1 mg). Today, while at the vet for a level check, we found that her electrolytes were good but blood glucose was in the 600s. She weighs 18.8 ibs.

My vet is consulting with an internist in another city as he's never treated a patient with both Addison's and Diabetes. I'm waiting for a call back from him in the morning with a plan, as her meds will have to be changed in order for her to receive insulin.

I'm looking for any and all advice on this, as I'm kind of at a loss on what to expect.

Thanks,

Chelsey
                Hi Chelsey: Welcome to the forum. My Jenny is a 7-8 pound poodle who had both Cushings and Diabetes. We overmedicated her with lysodren sending her into an addisonian state for a long time. My vet ordered me the liquid prednisone and we found a dose I could give her twice a day when she was eating and getting her insulin. That helped us a lot.

We were lucky. After about 6 months her cortisol began slowly rising and she has been off all prednisone and cushings meds for over a year.

Karen usually checks in when someone posts on Sammie's thread. She knows a lot more about Addisons than the rest of us but you might want to check into a smaller dose. The liquid was easy to adjust for us but my dog is small.

Judi
                Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Our Toofer has had well controlled Addison’s for four years, as well as hypothyroidism. It was just diagnosed with diabetes. The challenge of keeping him balanced is a little daunting. I am hoping I can use this forum for encouragement and advise. Just knowing there are other dogs dealing with both Addison’s and diabetes is an encouragement to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Toofer View Post
                    Our Toofer has had well controlled Addison’s for four years, as well as hypothyroidism. It was just diagnosed with diabetes. The challenge of keeping him balanced is a little daunting. I am hoping I can use this forum for encouragement and advise. Just knowing there are other dogs dealing with both Addison’s and diabetes is an encouragement to me.
                    Hi Toofer, my dog Charlie who had been diagnosed with Addison's about 2.5 years ago, just got diagnosed with diabetes about 2 weeks ago. I am wondering if the dose of prednisone he was on is what caused the diabetes, I am now learning that it was a higher dose than he should have been on and is now on half a dose and no issues with Addison's.

Comment

Working...
                    X