Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Distraught with worry

We had no teeth chattering yesterday. In fact, we saw more of the old Duston yesterday than we have in a while. He took a toy from the toy box, cuddled and sucked it for a few minutes (that baby/dummy action I spoke about before). We had another wander over the park last night, just 5 minutes but he was happy with that. This morning, again, he was wrecked - tired, low mood and wobbly. This afternoon he's on his feet and wandering around. He sneaked out into the garden and got himself down the steps to have a wee on the grass. I had kittens..!! (Just a reminder not to trust my husband to pay attention to what's going on around him)..!! We had to go out earlier (which I was loathed to do), but he was pretty excited to see us when we got home. So much so that we had a bit of teeth chattering..!!
I spoke with our vet yesterday. He said that the teeth chattering was an intentional something or another (I can't remember), but it's all part of the neuropathy and I have to keep an eye on it. He has suggested that further tests with neurology would not be particularly beneficial. Between himself and the neurologists he has consulted with, they are sure Duston has idiopathic polyneuropathy. To pinpoint exactly what the root problem is, he would have to have tissue biopsies. I don't want to put him through that. An MRI might show something but if it does show any slipped discs, lesions, or tumours, what am I going to do..?? If it is something repairable it will costs thousands of pounds with no guarantee that he would be cured. We don't have thousands of pounds The vet has assured me that we are doing everything right for him and we couldn't do more. I know he's very fond of Duston so I think I'm happy to go with his thoughts. We're going to keep him on 4 x 5mg steroids a day, as he does seem more mobile since he started them. He is also going to have B12 injections regularly to try and combat any further neuropathy. The vet also said that he was clear of hypothyroidism and negative for all the extensive tests he has done.
Do you know if anyone has any experience of Serrapeptase..?? I stumbled upon it on the internet. Apparently it is a natural steroid and I'm trying to gather as much information as I can about it.
It's good to see bits of my boy coming back (if only fleetingly), but I'll take whatever I can.
Thank you both for your prayers and best wishes.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM

I'm glad he's showing a little bit of his old self. I do hope that progress continues even if it is painfully slow. These things do seem to take a long time to improve and you have to be extremely patient!

By the way, the B12 that the neuropathy research related to was B12 methyl (as opposed to B12 cobalamin). I've no idea what the difference is but for Eddie we gave him the vet's standard B12 injections plus B12 methyl pills as well, in case the type of B12 was important.

Antonia
Old 01-24-2015, 01:58 PM

That's great, thank you Antonia. I have ordered some B12 methyl. I'll quiz our vet about the difference (we like to hurl questions at him to keep him on his toes)

We seem to be noticing that Duston is more like himself (more alert and less wobbly) in the middle of the day when his BG is at it's lowest. As soon as his BG is up, he is falling over, tired and (pretty much) out of it. I'm thankful we're, at least, having this semi-lucid spells as it was something we've been totally lacking for the past 6/7 weeks.

I've had 4 days without tears (yippee) and I seem to be gathering my thoughts about the whole situation and thinking about things more clearly. One day at a time, positive mental attitude and learning how to overcome obstacles. There's life in that old dog yet..!!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM

A couple of things that might help

according to the feed chart 44 kg dog would get 417 to 473 grams your feeding 380

injecting right after food is better than waiting 15 minutes. The wait can raise their bg

their is alread glucosamine and chondroitin in his food. You might want to stop the lintbells yumove
Old 01-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Thank you Riliey and Mo.

Duston is 40kg = 417g dry food per day (let's call it 210g each meal).
He has 1/2 can wet food per day so, proportionally, you have reduce the dry by 30g for each 1/4 can of wet = 180g. He has 180g of dry with 1/4 can wet morning and evening.

I had wondered about injecting sooner to see if it made a difference, but was a bit cowardly about doing it. I'll start doing that from tomorrow. Thank you.

We had only changed his food at Christmas (2 weeks after diagnoses) and the vet had suggested putting him on Yumove because his joints were also a bit dodgy. He had recommended his food too. He's still on the loading dose of 6 tablets a day..!!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:32 PM

A bit dodgy. I use this expression with my dog. A bit dodgy boy when he goes to bump into something

i just think adding extra g and c might cause a higher glucose just my over thinking.

the only time i wait to inject is when i think Riles will go low.
testing an hour and a half after will tell you whats going on.

one change, a day at a time eh
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 AM

We inject as Eddie is eating (he is very fond of his food so usually he doesn't even notice) and it helps stop the food getting too much ahead of the insulin.

You just need to be sure that your dog will eat all his food before you inject. With Eddie this is just not a question - he would probably eat it three times over if he had the chance and if Duston is a typical Lab I expect he is similar! It's just a thought process to go through before you actually stick the needle in.

When Eddie was recovering from his neuropathy he ran out of energy very quickly - to the extent of being able to walk across the lawn away from the house but needing to be carried back because he just couldn't do it on his own (and he's quite an armful, even though he had lost a lot of weight). We found we had to pace him as he had no sense of what he could or couldn't do and he needed a lot of extra sleep for weeks and weeks.

I do hope you carry on seeing those little signs of improvement! Write it all down so you can refer back to it and see how he progresses.
Antonia
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 AM

Great update on the mobility progress. May the days ahead bring continued success!
Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!
Old 01-26-2015, 05:36 AM

Thank you Riliey and Mo for over thinking (it seems to have become a recent acquisition for me too)..!! I did a bit of internet research and found several sites with information that say Glucosamine can raise BG. I've pulled him straight off his loading dose (6 a day) and he's now down to 1 a day. The yumove has stopped him 'clacking' when he moves so I hope I don't have to stop it completely. I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh Antonia, one thing I can be thankful for is that his appetite hasn't been damaged in any way at all. If I lined up 20 dinners, he'd clear them all and enjoy the last as much as the first We are also finding that Duston tires easily. He is far too heavy to carry so we just stand with him (usual in the freezing cold) and wait for him to kick start back into life again.

He had a very sleepy day yesterday but sprang into action last night and thoroughly enjoyed the longest wander over the park that he's had for a long time.

I am taking one day at a time and writing things down as we go. I've changed his injection site, the time of injection after food, reduced the Yumove substantially and will be starting on B12 imminently.

I've got over the initial distress of thinking we would have to say goodbye to him. All your kind words and reassurance have made me appreciate that (although not great) it's not as bleak as I first feared it would be. Thank you
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM

I'm also a 'Lab Mom', so I can relate to the never ending quest for more food! If Grayson ever shows lack of interest in eating, I'll know for sure he's sick. That enthusiasm for every meal - his, mine, & every meal consumed in his presence - is why I feel safe in giving his shot while he's eating. It's much easier to hit the somewhat stationary target, and prevents his food getting too much head start on the insulin. As long as Duston is a hearty eater, you should be safe to inject as he's chowing down. I'm glad he is showing signs of feeling better!
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini