Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Sadie Lynn

I don't think you hit an artery because blood would spurt out. But you might have hit a little vessel. But you probably will have to keep a closer eye than usual on her tonight.
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:29 PM

THANKS TO EACH and everyone of you.

First time its happen to me and scared the %^&*&^% out of me.

Just seems like I've had too many "first times" in the last couple of weeks

another long night ahead..
Old 02-03-2015, 06:42 PM

I'm sure it's scary. But it should be fine. Just keep testing :-)
Sparky Love, diagnosed March 5, 2014. Enrolled in Kinostat study to prevent cataract formation. Pancreatitis June 16, 2014 - hospitalized for 6 days in the ICU. Went to the Rainbow Bridge June 23, 2014. I love you very much, baby.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:08 PM

heads up on rubbing the injection area after injection. just makes the insulin absorb faster. she should be fine but heads up again if theres any infection.
theres no leeway with her low blood sugar to absorb an antibiotic safely.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:13 AM

"Rub" was too harsh a word, more like wipe. This passed on to me by our VET to test for a "miss".

Sadie got thru the night just fine, got me up at Three so I could go outside and see what a nice cold night it was .

This mornings overnight fasting number was 148.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:09 PM

So nice of her to share!
Laura & Charlie 29 lb male lhasapoo diagnosed October 2013. 16ish units of Novolin N. 1 & 1/3 cup of Natural Balance Fat Dog twice a day. An egg with breakfast and chicken with dinner. Shares string cheese with us late afternoon. Cyclosporine ointment for KCS. Blind from cataracts January 2014. Crossed the rainbow bridge 2/1/2016 at 14.5 years
Old 02-05-2015, 12:45 AM

An easy way to see if you've missed at all on a shot is to smell for any insulin. It has a strong scent from even a drop, so once you know the smell, you'll be able to tell if any didn't make it into her. I give Grayson a kiss after his shot so there is no wondering...if it's there, I can smell it easily.
Grayson - 95lb black lab, 10yrs old, diagnosed 3/22/14 - Novolin N (27units) and Merrick Grain Free Buffalo and Sweet Potato dry food - Novox 100mg twice daily & a Cosequin supplement - Alphatrak2 & One Touch Mini
Old 02-05-2015, 07:06 AM

I use the kiss test also , some one explained it as a wet band aid smell. And it does indeed smell like a wet band aid to me, lol.
After you give the injection, pull the plunger out and smell the rubber tip, then you'll know exactly what it smells like.
Ugh, I hate those middle of the night pottie breaks, especially when it's cold! Glad Sadie is doing better.
Chuck-108 lb male Rottweiler, 8 years old. Dx Sept. 24, 2014. 22.5 units of Novolin N 2 x a day. Alpha Track 2. 2 1/2 cup Purina OM Select Blend, 2 x a day. Also mom to 2 Boxer boys, I love my 3 boys-chucksmom aka Kim
Old 02-06-2015, 07:25 PM

Well we had a great day yesterday and a good visit with the Vet. He has 5 other dogs with Diabetes and I'm the only owner that does their own curves! He is a believer in what I am doing so he is great to work with.

We did put Sadie back on the Rimadyl for her joint pain and what a difference! This morning she was really having no problem walking around the house and showing no sign of pain.

And now the other shoe drops

Her numbers for yesterday were right on her averages, She did have a big day hair cut, bath, vet visit so I was ready to do a full curve today and its another roller coaster day...
These readings were taken with Alphatrak2
6AM 337
8AM 447
10AM 280
12N 218
2PM 265
4PM 308
6PM 563 The highest recorded BG she has ever had!
Extra unit tonight and now on the wait for the 8PM reading.

At the same time I took the above readings I used a Relion prime to take these readings:
6AM 187
8AM 353
10AM 208
12N 139
2PM 194
4PM 292
6PM 442

Really no way to compare or adjust the readings between the two meters.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:51 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

How long has she been on the rimadyl? It may have caused her blood sugar to go up. Maggie could never take it because it made her sick so maybe somebody else can relay their experiences with the effect on blood sugar.