Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Introducing Luna

Just back from the vet. Blood work came back with probable pancreatitis. They admitted her and she is on IV fluids and antibiotics.

Doctor said all other vitals look good.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:45 PM

Is it typical to leave dogs alone during the evening at the hospital? Staff leaves at 6 and they want me to come and administer her insulin and pain medicine before they leave. She typically does not get her shot until 7. They will not get back until 7 am. What if she has an episode? I'm upset and confused.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:26 PM

I would think a “hospital” would be staffed 24 hours. Is it a vets office or an emergency hospital? Is any care or fluids being administered overnight?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:35 PM
Founding Member

With jesse i had to drive her to an emergency clinic for after hours and then return her to our regular vet during the day

Maybe you can bring luna home for the night and return for the day
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 PM

Unhappy Re: Introducing Luna

I sent my husband to get her. I can monitor her sugar levels here.

I asked if she was in pain. They said yes, she was. I asked when was the last time they gave her pain meds so I know when to administer at home. They said, well you didn't bring any of her pain meds. She's had nothing.

They were the ones who gave me the pain meds on Saturday. They let her be uncomfortable all day?

I feel so guilty for leaving her in their care. I'm running out of clinics in this town.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Founding Member

she needs the IV fluids .Pain medication is helpful because its quite painful . Actually my brother has pancreatitis at this time and has had 2 hospital stays with 2 weeks spent at the hospital . So its very serious depending on the severity

Glad you went to get luna . this is a situation she should not be left alone for any length of time . you can give sub q fluids at home but the vet usually well have to set you up for it

I think she will be happy at home and being happy helps with healing
Jesse-26 lbs - 14 years old - 9 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 6 and 8 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 04-23-2018, 11:34 PM

I have left my Mochi at the vet unsupervised over night for 2-3 nights when he had severe pancreatitis..That was my vets last resort because he wasn't getting much better during the past two weeks of me bringing him home during the evenings and being off of the IV during the night til morning. He would eat a bit at night and have more energy but the next morning when we wake up he becomes all lethargic and wouldn't eat again...
He needed the IV constantly so I had no choice but to leave him at the vet through the night..You can bring Luna to the emergency 24hour vet if you are really concerned but it'll cost thousands and thousands of dollars....I was in your shoes once...and I did not sleep at all every night knowing he was there alone. But the IV going into Luna's system to clean out the pancreatitis throughout the night will really help. Sending you and Luna some love. Stay strong.
has high triglycerides-root of cause still unknown. New diet and omega 3 has helped.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Update: We took Luna home. They kept her IV port in case she needed more fluids. She came home and drank out of her bowl. She was starving, but we only fed her a small portion of the canned hepatic that night.

She is doing very well. She had her usual dry hepatic this morning. Gobbled it right up.

She looked so terrible over the weekend that we were all afraid that we might lose her. Amazing how quickly she turned around.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:33 AM
Founding Member

Great news

Be careful with food and go slow . Its the enemy when you have pancreatitis

Relapsing can happen

Last edited by jesse girl; 04-25-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:20 AM

I've been in lurking status, trying to gain insight on my dog's issues. The pancreatitis has become an ongoing problem. My once eager to eat pup is now struggling. The canned version of the hepatic seems to be tolerated if we can get her to eat it. There has been episodes of vomiting.

I've been a good diabetic dog mom and have done weekly curves. She was great, but now is all over the place. She developed cataracts last week. She was already blind from PRA, but her once glowing green eyes have faded.

The biggest problem now is aggression. I mean full blown Cujo like behavior. It comes out of nowhere. She will come and sit on one of my kid's laps as they sit on the floor. She starts to snap after a few pats.

I thought she may have a tender spot, but she's been looked over. She's been snapping during vet exams, etc.

My husband has stopped trying to administer her insulin because of multiple bites to his hands. I've been the only one who can test and administer and now she has turned on me.

The last two days have been miserable. For her and for me. It's probably the pancreatitis pain that has her so uncomfortable.

Doctor wants to retest for Cushings. My husband said for the first time we should consider giving her peace. My heart is breaking.

Has anyone had a dog that was temporarily aggressive? I've read online that these behaviors tend to become a pattern. Any suggestions on how to administer a shot to wildly mad dog? For such a small things she has the strength of ten men when it comes to shot time! Thanks!