Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Anyone Up? Mattie Had Major Seizure

It could be an BG related problem or it could be another reason. My Phoebe who is not diabetic also had another seizure today. She is 18yo and this is her 4th seizure, today's was mild and only lasted 30 secs and she hasn't had one since October 09 and the vet has no idea why they have started.

All I know is that I have to keep her as calm as I can while it is happening and make sure she doesn't hurt herself. She is exhausted after and I usually sponge her with tepid water because she seems so hot. She is a little confused as I am sure Mattie is. Make sure that Mattie has water to keep her hydrated.

How long did the seizure last?

Jenny
Old 04-05-2010, 04:23 AM

After I woke up, the seizure lasted a couple of minutes.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

I'm sorry to hear about Mattie's seizure. They can be very scary. As Jenny said there can be a number of reasons that may not even be blood sugar related.

You mentioned a delayed shot. It's possible if food was given on time and the shot later that the food/insulin was mismatched. Perhaps the insulin lasted longer than the food and cause her to drop too low.

Did she come out of it on her own or did you rub honey/syrup on her gums to bring her out?

Glad you'll be in to the vet to see where her bg is. I would also schedule a full curve if you're able to. Do you use Ketodiastix at home? That would give you a ballpark idea of whether she's higher or lower.

Hope she's doing better this morning,
Patty
Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Anyone Up? Mattie had Major Seizure

Leaving for the vet now. I talked to him earlier, and he said as she came out of it herself, it's most likely not insulin related.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Founding Member

Sorry to hear that Mattie had a seizure - I know how scary they can be. Please let us know what the vet has to say.

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Founding Member

Hello,
My Lady had two seizures, about 12 hours apart. She came out of the first one as if nothing had happened. The second one seemed to have shaken her some....she was very quiet on the trip to the vet. When she got to the clinic her blood sugar was 730!! And that's when we first knew she had diabetes to go along with her Cushings.
Both her seizures were the grand mal kind.
Hope the vet has some answers for you,
Jo-Ann & my Dollydog angel
Old 04-06-2010, 06:04 AM

YIKES! Her BG was 40! So it does sound like that is what caused the seizure. I'm to slowly reduce the amount of insulin, going no lower than 10 units. I imagine changing her diet was a huge culprit in this, as well. Probably should have had her levels checked shortly after the change.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:48 AM

Wow - looks like the food switch made quite a difference in her insulin needs. Have you considered home testing her BG? It truly gives you piece of mind to be able to see how their little bodies are handling the insulin/food throughout the day. You can spot a low trend before it becomes a big enough issue to cause problems.

I'm glad Mattie is back home. How often do they have you bringing her back in for BG checks while you are adjusting the insulin dose?
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 AM

My vet is playing it by ear, using water consumption as a yardstick. The problem is Mattie is kind of high strung, and any activity near her causes her to drink water. If I'm gone for several hours, she hardly drinks water. So if she starts drinking more water, I should stop reducing the dose. He'd like to see her in about 3 weeks, unless there is a problem.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 PM

Hi MattiesDad -

In all honesty, and I apologize if I'm stepping on anyone's toes, but I disagree with how your vet is handling this. There are so many different possibilities that could have contributed to Mattie going low enough to cause a seizure. To not feel the need to follow up with you for 3 weeks and to have you winging it with lowering the dose and monitoring water consumption seems like a complete shot in the dark and not in Mattie's best interest...or yours, since I'm sure you don't want to see her have another seizure or return to high BG numbers.

Just because the vet seems to think that monitoring water consumption for the next 3 weeks, while lowering the dose, is adequate, doesn't make it so. You do not need your vets permission, or even support, to monitor her BG at home. There is a ton of information available here and elsewhere to help you learn to test her and do a curve at home. We can help walk you through it and get a much clearer picture of how Mattie's body is reacting to food/insulin/activity/excitement. That would give you very solid information that dosage adjusting could be based on.

People meters can be picked up for very inexpensive or even free. It's the strips that cost over the long term, but there are sources for those as well that keep prices low. The meters don't even have to be exact - most of us have our meters compared to lab values at the vet to see how close they are, but any information you gather from BG testing her at home will give you loads of information. The numbers don't have to be exact - you just need to see where she is trending low and high, at what times of the day, in relationship to what (insulin dose, amount or type of food, walks, etc).

I have a Walgreen's branded TrueTrack monitor that has proved to be within 15 points or less of my previous vets AlphaTRAK. I don't know how close it is to lab value - not for lack of trying, which is one of the numerous reasons why I just switched vets. I've seen it for less than $15 at Walgreen's and on Amazon. I also order my strips through Amazon and generally get a box of 100 (2 containers of 50) for around $32 with free shipping. That means I can do a 24 curve at home (no stress to my dog, no big bill from the vet) for under $6 - testing every 2 hours, 13 tests total...less than $3 for a 12 hour curve. Another option is the OneTouch Ultra which is often recommended by Natalie - it tested very well against lab values and many members use it.

I'm sorry if I sound pushy and aggressive about home testing...I'm just very passionate about home testing and the priceless information if provides. I'm 100% convinced it is the most important key to successfully managing a diabetic pet. Medical professionals would never dream of sending an insulin dependent human home without instructing them on home BG testing and I think our pets deserve nothing less. I know for some families, it is just not a possibility for whatever reason. But please consider at least trying. I test Noodle on his inside, upper lip and it could not be any easier - he can sleep right through it. I think you will be surprised how easy it can be and how priceless the information is that it will provide you.

I hope Mattie is doing well.