Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone Up? Mattie had Major Seizure

That's wonderful!

I will say that with a number of 101 I do wonder what her blood sugar is doing the rest of the day. How many hours post injection was the blood draw?

I do think a full curve is needed to see exactly where the low point is so you don't risk hypoglycemia.

Cheering you on with testing! It takes a lot of persistence sometimes. It took me quite a while to be able to get blood from Ali

Patty
    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

The blood was drawn about 6 hours after her shot. I did try the Diastix, and got a reading of what appeared to be 400 about 12 hours after a shot.

Some day, I'll work up the courage to use the lancet by hand, rather than the unit it came with, since I don't get any blood that way. My groomer suggested the ear, due to all the veins in there. But when she draws blood, she's using a scissors, so that's a different story altogether.

Comment

Stress and BG Readings

Hi, all: I was enjoying the cucumber thread, and thought a trip to the farmer's market may be in order.

Anyway, Mattie's BG is usually 95-140 about six hours after an injection. (Between 8-10 units twice a day) After a trip to the groomer, which she hates, I checked, and she was around 600. This was maybe 8 hours after her shot. Does stress throw it that far out of whack?

Also, in the morning, which would be 12-14 hours after her last injection, her BG is usually 300-500+. I'm thinking a third shot of reduced dosage at bed time. Any thoughts? She gets three small meals per day. (No later than say, 6:30 P.M.) I go back and forth between 2-3 meals.

Comment

Re: Stress and BG Readings

I wonder if she dropped too low and rebounded. Stress can certainly release cortisol and cause high bgs too.

The fluctuation in meals - is giving them or leaving them out due to higher/lower blood sugar? or based on schedule?

Patty
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Re: Stress and BG Readings

The fluctuation in meals - is giving them or leaving them out due to higher/lower blood sugar? or based on schedule?
            Patty
            Sometimes her appetite fluctuates. Ravenous or indifferent to food in the morning. When feeding twice a day, sometimes her food would sit until 10:00 P.M., if she ate her breakfast.

I just checked, it was 546 10 hours after her injection. I'll check around 10:00 P.M. to see if it's still high. She received an injection at 5:00 P.M.

I'm also in the midst of a kitchen project, lots of pounding. Being blind probably makes the noise more stressful.

Comment

Our dog's blood sugar always dropped during vet visits so I'm inclined to agree that a low and rebound were probably the cause of the high blood sugar after the grooming appointment... tho, do they ever hand out treats?

Have you got a recent curve you could post?

It can get really complicated when the timing varies. Plus in the daytime she gets three meals but it sounds like she doesn't get the third meal at night... or do you give her a meal at bedtime?

It sounds like there's a pretty big difference between her highest and lowest blood sugar and if that's the case, it would be helpful to look for ways to flatten things out.

It could be, for example, that the mid-day meal is what's spiking her blood sugar at dinner time.

So a curve based on a "normal" regimen - no groomer trip or off amount of food or insulin - would be the way to sort out what might work to level out her blood sugar.

Natalie

Comment

Re: Stress and blood sugar?

As far as I know, no treats are given at the groomer. They used to give them to me to give to the dog.

I really don't have a curve, just random checks. First thing in the morning if I suspect a problem (Excessive drinking and panting) six hours after an injection and if she's acting anxious. (Pacing)

This morning she was 190.(not bad!) I did give her half a dose before bed. Since she just had breakfast (Taste of the Wild Grain Free) she'll be getting 8 units.

Two meal schedule is 1/2 cup of food at 7:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. Three meal is 1/3 cup at 7:00, 12:00 and 5:00, with injections at 7:00 A.M. and 5:00 P.M. Last night was the first for the bedtime injection.

Comment

Thank You!

I haven't posted in quite a while, but occasionally checked in. I just wanted to thank all of you for the info my vet never shared, and getting me involved in Mattie's treatment. I was a regular tester of her glucose, and I'm sure it helped immensely, especially with the subject of "rebounding".

Sadly, it seemed Mattie's quality of life had diminished to the point that it seemed selfish of me to keep her. She had been blind for over a year, and the few sounds she was able to hear seemed to terrify her. She was nervous in her own backyard, especially with birds singing. Lately, she rarely heard me come in the door. When she did, she would slowly walk over to smell who was there, then go back to sleep. Walks were no longer the adventure they once were. So we took one last walk, about a mile on the local trail. Then, a trip to the vet,... It's going to feel very sad and strange, going to bed without scooping her up in my arms like a baby.

Comment

Re: Thank You!

I am sorry that you have to go through this, but I admire your selfless love at coming to this decision. She will be running free at the bridge waiting for you. I will think about you and Mattie this evening.

Comment

It is one of the hardest things we ever have to do.

Helping Mattie on her way was a very brave decision and showed her how much you loved her. Memories are yours to keep. God bless.

Jenny

Comment

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Hug and wags to you,

Tami, Soaphie and Sydney
                        Soaphie = 15 yr old Border/Berner mix dx 07/08. ~8.25 units a.m./p.m. vetsulin, blind/deaf. Ultra Senior, Vital Beef/Bison, Brown Rice and lots of loving. Soaphie passed on October 29, 2015. Sydney = 14.5 yr old Aussie/Shar Pei mix dx 11/10. NPH-varies w/ predinisone a.m./p.m., blind/deaf. Sydney passed on June 3, 2014.

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear Mattie's journey has come to an end. It is such selfless love when the time comes. Holding you in our prayers and thoughts,
                          Patty

Comment

i'm so sorry for your loss. It was a brave and unselfish thing you did, to help Mattie on her way.

Kwali and Kumbi have welcomed her at The Bridge.

Hugs,
                            Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:36:06 (PDT)
                            http://www.coherentdog.org/
                            CarolW

Comment

I'm saddened to hear of your loss, but I agree it was the most unselfish thing you could do. You showed your true love for her. I understand about bedtime being one of the most difficult times of the day.

Love, prayers and peace,

Mary
                              Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                              Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                              Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                              Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I'm so very sorry to learn of Mattie's passing. Even when you know it's the right thing to do, it tears your heart in two. Your love for her and concern for the quality of her life came through clearly last year so I know Mattie had a wonderful life.

Natalie

Comment

Working...
                                X