Thank You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thank You!

I'm so sorry that Mattie's enjoyment of life was gone. She had a long and wonderful life with her 'dad' and will be missed. I bet she loved being 'scooped' up in your arms.

I know how very hard this loss will be for you, so feel free to come back and 'talk' about it anytime.

Bonnie and Angel Criss

Comment

Thanks all, for the kind words. A while back, Mattie had developed a urinary tract infection. I grumbled at the vet's office about having to put the meds on my credit card, as I was broke, missing mortgage payments,.. He said he might have a different med that would work, and it was something that someone had returned, because it made their dog ill. So it was given to me free. So today I will help someone else by donating my lancets, test strips and meter to the vet. They will make sure someone who needs it gets it. My first thought was to donate it to a human organization, but when he mentioned they could find a pet owner to give it to, I remembered how they helped me out. So I didn't forget about people, I'm repaying a debt.

Comment

if more people were like you paying it forward the world would be a better place

me and jesse salute matie and her dad for being so wonderful together
        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

That is great. When my husband stopped his cancer treatments, we had a lot of canned food, syringes, etc.(he was on a feeding tube) that we no longer needed. I hated to throw all the stuff away so I called several agencies. Finally found one that would accept the supplies. They worked with a group of international doctors who could use the supplies that regulations would not allow to be used here even though everything was new and in sealed packages.

Heidi and Mindy

Comment

I was once given nearly a whole box of exactly the same syringes I used with Kumbi - at a time when I desperately needed the help. So, of course, when Kumbi died, I took his supplies (but kept one meter and a few syringes) in to my vet, and handed them over - including at least 100 test strips for the OneTouch Ultra.

I think the clinic kept the (two?) OneTouch Ultra2 meters (or may have given one of them to a needy client), probably passed the test strips on to someone who needed them, and same with the ketostix and syringes.

MattiesDad; I've been thinking of your loss, daily, as that's also how I think of Kumbi, and the other forum dogs who have gone ahead of us to the Bridge. It is SO hard to give that last assist - and SUCH a relief for the dog!

Seems to me there's always something we can pass on to assist others.

Wed, 15 Jun 2011 06:59:15 (PDT)
            http://www.coherentdog.org/
            CarolW

Comment

It does seem different without the caretaker thing going on. The morning routine was to give her fresh water, a half cup of food and an 8 unit injection. Then carry her down the steps, put on her tether and let her out. My house is small, but it feels larger now, since I'm the only one here.

But since I'm TRYING to sell my home (Heck, I'm a Realtor having a heck of a time selling other peoples' homes!) and find employment in my original hometown (Milwaukee), getting another dog doesn't appear to be in the picture. Then again, Mattie just sort of happened. After I put Trudy (my black miniature schnauzer) down in May of 2001, my dog groomer called in July of 2001, telling me of a woman with a 2 year old schnauzer. The woman was in poor health, and in the process of moving. She couldn't handle a dog anymore, so our groomer put us together. Since that wasn't planned, I won't say I'm sure I won't get a dog, because you never know!

Comment

You might wind up like I did... constantly perusing the PetFinder listings for the local shelter!

Caring for a dog had become so integral to who I was that I was lost without it.

We lasted 6 weeks before my husband walked into my office and said "Okay, you obviously won't be happy until we get another dog so let's just get one."

Well, I was looking at the Petfinder pages - again - when he said it. 8) So I said "What about this one???" That was Jack. We adopted him 36 hours later...

Natalie

Comment

Hehe; right; you (maybe) never know, MattiesDad! You would make a great DogDad for the right dog who came along, and, gosh, you're so right - you never know!

For me, though, until I'm clearly too old and shaky, if I lose my last living animal companion, I am DRIVEN till I get another dog. Before Kumbi died, I was always able to find another dog after losing my last companion - until Kumbi. It took me more than two months after his death to find another dog - eventually, I did find her - Camellia. Once I'd located her, I pursued her relentlessly, and four days later, she became my dog.

Tomorrow is our 10-month-being-together-date. Camellia got a three- hour grooming today; she is SUCH a trooper; the groomer gave her a truly great report! And she looks totally gorgeous; this is the best groomer I've ever had - referred by a neighbor who also has a Havanese.

I kinda hope you will get another dog, because that dog will be very fortunate.

Also, I hope you'll stay with us!
                  Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:20:20 (PDT)
                  CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
                    Hehe; right; you (maybe) never know, MattiesDad! You would make a great DogDad for the right dog who came along, and, gosh, you're so right - you never know!

I kinda hope you will get another dog, because that dog will be very fortunate.

Also, I hope you'll stay with us!
                    Wed, 15 Jun 2011 21:20:20 (PDT)
                    OK, I caved in. Presenting---Gabby! An almost 5 month miniature schnauzer. I've had her almost 2 months. I hope the new profile pic is showing.

Seems odd that after putting Mattie down, there's another Mattie to replace her on this board. Good luck with the new Mattie!

Comment

Oh she's too cute!!! I'm so glad you came back to show her off.
                      Lots of mischief with a new pup around I'm sure .
                      Patty
                      Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

MattiesDad, GabbysDad - I like it! SO glad you got another dog. Dogs should have DogDaddys like you. Please keep us posted on Gabby! You could start a new thread in Everything Else, to tell us more about her!

Camellia says, it's pretty good to be the next dog after a diabetic dog from this forum!

She sends her love to Gabby. So do I!

P.S. Welcome back!
                        Sun, 25 Sep 2011 20:51:13 (PDT)
                        CarolW

Comment

Sadly, I never knew your original baby but this one is very special and obviously has the best of homes! Yay puppy!

Hugs!
                          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Yay! I'm very happy for you and Gabby!

By the way, you can upload a photo to your photo album if you'd like. Then we can see a bigger image of her.

Congratulations to you both!

Natalie

Comment

I'd love to see a bigger picture of Gabby! (Hint, hint.)
                              Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:01:42 (PDT)
                              CarolW

Comment

Originally posted by CarolW View Post
                                I'd love to see a bigger picture of Gabby! (Hint, hint.)
                                Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:01:42 (PDT)
                                Me, too! I love miniature schnauzers!!! We want details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mary
                                Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                                Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                                Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                                Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

Working...
                                X