Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:31 PM

Default Re: Hank

Lots of things going on but OMG...Hank had a severe allergy attack the other day and it scared the you know what out of me! He's been doing about average on the skin allergies...he's taking a chlor tab twice a day...still itchy but not overly so. Yesterday, during our morning walk, he started scratching and itching and it got so bad with his legs trembling that he couldn't even walk! I tried to help by rubbing his skin but nothing seemed to help! I finally just picked him up and carried him home. His whole body was just so tense....he couldn't relax at all! I was thankful his breathing was ok...it was just an overwhelming itchyness over his whole body!

I gave him a chlor tab and a benedryl and kept an eye on him for a bit and he finally settled down. I was prepared to bathe him just in case. I had never seen anything quite like it! Poor little man was just almost in pain from the itchy!

I think that next year, we'll go with the Atopica from the beginning of the season and see how that goes. If it doesn't help, it's back to the prednisone and we'll deal with the effects at that point. I just can't have him like this. He's miserable and in pain. Gosh I just hate these damn allergies!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM

Poor Hank, that sounds terrible. Sounds like it was really distressing for you too Shellie, so sorry.

What seems to be the trigger? Something environmental? or Food related? I havent heard much about allergies over here in the UK.

Hope he settled down for you.

big hugs, Jen x
Pippa; Westie, diagnosed 17th April 2012 at 6.5 years old, 8.7kgs, 6.8 units canninsulin bd, Burns high oats food . Lives with George 9 (Black lab), Polly 19 (cat) and Basil 15 (diabetic mog for 5+ years). Im Jen and we live in West Wales where it rains too much!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:31 AM

Aww, Poor Hank. I can just feel how he must have felt all tightness ready to jump out of his skin. Glad he is better now. I wonder if it could have been a reaction to a bug bite, odd for it to be that quick.

I don't envy you with the allergies, and of course with his eating habits it is hard to give him a hypo allergenic food.

Prednisone....it was the worst of drugs.....it was the best of drugs!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Founding Member

oh Shellie that sounds awful for both of you. We had our first frost last night so hopefully allergy season is on the way out. hugs
Old 09-18-2012, 06:25 AM

Hoping Hank and you are both doing much better now.

Hugs and belly rubs
Jane and Franklin, 8 years, maltese, currently 6.4kg, Australia. Cushing's with elevated hormones dx'd 2009/2010, proteinuria, epilepsy, diabetes dx'd July 2012. Phenobarb 30mg bid, 3mg melatonin bid, lignans sid, caninsulin 4.8u bid (a work in progress). Diet- home cooked. Blind from cataracts January 2013, sighted from surgery February 2013.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:08 AM

Poor Hank and poor you! Hope he is feeling better by now...its so sad when they are overcome with something and you really just don't know what to do to comfort them, but you seemed to get him calmed down and able to rest.
<3
Old 09-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Awe Shellie.
@#$#$%#$ allergies!
Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty View Post
Awe Shellie.
@#$#$%#$ allergies!
My sentiments exactly!!! Tiggy has had that same kind of reaction a couple times this summer . You feel so helpless when it happens!! I would actually put cold towels over her and it would help alot!!

Sandy
Old 09-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Shellie. That is awful poor Hank and you . Cj gets dreadful itching as well that's why he is on ciclosporin . It really works . I know it's not good long term but I had to put him on it as there was nothing else that worked. I now have it down to once every 2 days.

Hope the itching has calmed down and Hank has a peaceful day itch free.

Hugs
Anne-Marie and CJ Westie , Born 13 Jan 2004, dx May 2012, Weight 9.5kg, 6 iu Caninsulin Twice daily. Mixture of food - baby formula and mixture of chicken and vegetables . 4-6 feeds a day due to pancreatitis which is under control.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Thanks all! He's over that major attack but still is so itchy! I wish I had gone the atopica this year. My cat, Mika is on it every 3 days or so and does wonderfully. I just didn't want to put Hank on such a major drug with him having diabetes too. But I sure will next year. I can't wait til allergies are over either...am so dizzy all the time. We make a great pair!! I did bathe him and that seemed to help a bit. Need Carol's magic wand!!

Not doing too bad doing this post on my phone
..huge storm knocked out electric all over my town...is very dark!!

Thanks again for the support...wish no one had these +-6%%&*- allergies!!! Hugs!!