Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Default Patti's Max passed away yesterday

Patti and Max are known here as Woofwhisperer. Patti has posted once or twice I think but some of you have known her and her toy Poodle Max from the other forum for several years

Max went into very bad congestive heart failure - right-sided - night before last. Yesterday she let him go.

Max... Max made Chris' diabetes look like the most boring by-the-book case you've ever seen. I still think the University of Georgia in Athens may wind up naming an endocrine disorder after him.

Max was small, around six or seven pounds, but he could throw ketones on a 1/4 unit of insulin and go hypoglycemic on 1/2 a unit. And "flat curve" was a totally foreign concept to that boy, even on that tiny dose of insulin.

Medically, he confounded everyone who ever worked with him, including very fine veterinarians at two teaching hospitals. He was also one of the first dogs to be monitored with a continuous glucose monitoring system.

I know a lot of people who have gone the extra mile and then some for their dogs.... no one did more or could have done more for Max than Patti did. Figuring out how to maintain his diabetes was such a huge challenge - I think he tried every insulin available... except R! After all, NPH could drop him 300 points!

Max also had the sad distinction of being one of the dogs I know who went deaf about two years ago after being treated with gentamycin.

I would liked to have met Max. And I need to get a picture from Patti. I have seen great pictures of him and his stuffed toy... a monkey maybe? at UGA.

Godspeed to little Max and my deepest condolences to Patti and her parents, who all adored him.

Natalie
Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Patti's Max passed away yesterday

To Patti,
I followed some of your journey with Max and the constant challenges you both managed to get through. I am in awe of your commitment and love and am so sorry this last battle could not be one.
Godspeed Max
Jenny & Buddy
Old 10-07-2008, 12:51 PM
Founding Member

Natalie,

Thanks for posting this. I remember Patti and Max from the other board and also from the cushing's board.

Patti, I am so very sorry to hear the sad news about Max. I wish there was something I could say to ease the pain and deep sense of loss you are feeling but know there isn't. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. My deepest sympathy to you and your parents.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart
Old 10-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Founding Member

Patti,

I'm so sorry to hear that Max has made that journey to the Rainbow Bridge. He enjoyed his time here with the best mom around.

Bonnie and Crissy
Old 10-07-2008, 03:00 PM

God Bless you Patti....Max will always be in your heart and you will always be in his...Find peace knowing that Max is now free of all the disease that you both so bravely battled, and that he plays healthy and happily with all our beloved babies who have also crossed the bridge....

Mickey and Dori
Old 10-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Founding Member

Patti,
I am really sorry about Max passing It sounds to me like he had a wonderful mom!! Godspeed Max!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:13 PM
Founding Moderator

Patti,

You were blessed with Max and he was blessed to have you. No one could have done more for him than you did.

He's always with you--right there in your heart.

Kathy
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM

I never knew Patti nor Max; I am too new here. But I am old, and old with dogs; have lost too many.

Patti - my deepest condolences to you. Obviously you are one of the finest DogMums ever! What an inspiration!

For you, Anodynes;

http://www.coherentdog.org/canodyne.php

(Silly as those may seem; they work.)

Tue, 7 Oct 2008 22:18:16
Old 10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Founding Member

Dear Patti - I remember you and your Max from WAY BACK! He was the little toy poodle that gave you fits with his diabetes. What a lucky little guy he was to have such a caring mom - hugs to you and godspeed little guy - I am so sorry. Jody
Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Founding Member

Oh Patti! I'm so sorry! We want to keep them with us always but it comes to the day when it's how much we love them that causes us to say good bye.

Max, I know you are running in the clouds and attracting the attention of a lot of girl dogs!!! You handsome devil!

You are in my thoughts and prayers.