Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 PM

Default new with Alphatrak code question

Hi! My pug Abbee has been diabetic for years. I recently had to but new test strips for the Alphatrak (original). I was told in correspondence that the alphatrak 2 strip would work. My question is this: is the code really 36 for dogs as it stays on the vial for the strips? !
thanks for the help!
Abbee's mom
Old 03-31-2015, 10:14 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Default Re: new with Alphatrak code question

Welcome to the forum

I think the data sheet that comes with the AlphaTrak2 test strips say to code the old (grey) meter to 7 if using the new strips in the old meter.

You might consider getting a new AlphaTrak2 meter since the price has really dropped in the past few months. $55 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Bloo...ing+system+kit

I'll look for the data sheet in my files.

Tell us more about your pup.

Craig
Old 03-31-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
Welcome to the forum

I think the data sheet that comes with the AlphaTrak2 test strips say to code the old (grey) meter to 7 if using the new strips in the old meter.

You might consider getting a new AlphaTrak2 meter since the price has really dropped in the past few months. $55 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/AlphaTRAK-Bloo...ing+system+kit

I'll look for the data sheet in my files.

Tell us more about your pup.

Craig

Yep, just opened a box of AlphaTrak2 strips and the the chart in step 1 (setup) says to code the original (grey) AlphaTrak to 7 when using AlphaTrak 2 strips. I suppose this will provide "close" readings, but best to get a new AlphaTrak2 if possible.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:15 AM

That's what I thought, but then the vial said 36 for dogs and 38 for cats. I am definitely thinking about purchasing the 2.
Thanks so much for your help!
Old 04-01-2015, 03:20 AM

That's what I thought, but then the vial said 36 for dogs and 38 for cats. I am definitely thinking about purchasing the 2.

Abbee is a 13 year old pug. Shes blind because her diabwtes went undiscovered when she was wit my ex. She's been doing really well for quite a while and then her blood sugars went really low... so we're doing lots of monitoring and trying to figure what's going on.
Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:50 PM

The grey Alpha Trak glucometer, must be set to code 7 when you are using the Alpha 2 strips.Also,you must add ten percent to your reading.
This information was given to me by a customer rep at Abbot(the company that makes Alpha Trak and other human glucometers).
Old 04-02-2015, 08:39 PM

I dunno about adding 10% seems a lot

I,d compare the two. alpha track and alphatrack2 with alphatrack2 strips using the same blood sample. this will give you an accurate animal reading.

try setting code 7 for a test then 6. I used code 36 and I now use code 6 with the alphatrack2. I also use the Freestyle lite strips in the 2. there cheaper and accurate. comparisons with your personal testings on your dog.

testing is fun
Old 04-02-2015, 08:47 PM

....or just follow the instructions on the data sheet and set the AlphaTrak to 7.

Craig
Old 04-15-2015, 01:36 AM

As I am learning about my fur baby's diabetes this is very overwhelming! Back to the books for me!

Last edited by Lieder2; 04-15-2015 at 02:03 AM.