Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com

Canine Cushings - See http://www.k9cushings.com The new www.K9Cushings.com is open! So this former temporary home is closed to new posts. Please go to www.k9cushings.com and check to see if your membership transferred there. It will remain viewable, however, until the transition to the new forum at http://www.k9cushings.com/forum is complete.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Kwiggles' Joe is starting lysodren

Hi Karen,

My Scooter loaded in 3 days but really I should have stopped in 2 days...or maybe it was sooner than that..my memory is fading! But all he did was hesitate the tiniest little bit. And he was on the very low end when I did take him in. The vet thought I called it too early but agreed it was better to check.

With Bailey, he loaded in 2 days, and was a perfect 2.5 on his stim. Again, a tiny tiny hesitation. But learning my lesson from Scooter, I stopped.

So, what I tell people is there is no "rule". Go with your gut! You know your pup best and when something says, this may be it, listen to it! Worst case, you continue to load. You won't lose any ground.

If I hadn't listened to my gut, I would have overloaded both my pups.

Keep us posted!
Beth, Bailey and always Scoobie
Old 04-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Hi, I've been following Kwiggles progress, and I was wondering how the loading process was going?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:51 PM

Hello all,

Checking in on Saturday afternoon, day 7 of loading.

Having a crisis of confidence, I went home last night and dragged out all the information I had collected on Lysodren loading and read over the whole stack, giving most weight to my vet's detailed instructions.

Then with all that info spinning around in my head, I went with my gut and decided that Joe was not yet showing signs of loading so have continued with the Lysodren.

The clincher was when I asked myself, if I was just watching Joe eat and didn't know he was on Lysodren, would I think his appetite was same as usual (i.e., usual for the past few months)? And I had to say, yes- same as usual. So I decided to go with that.

I think I made the right decision; he is still eating enthusiastically, seems to be feeling fine and water consumption still stuck at around 2.5 liters. No diarrhea or vomiting, still happy to go for a 2 mile walk every day, no weakness or lethargy.

I'm finding there is maybe more art than science to this. But I feel good with my decision, so will stick with it through tomorrow (unless of course he shows signs otherwise).

'Go with your gut' is good advice- thank you. (And thanks to everyone else who has offered advice and support- it has been invaluable to me).

Oh, can't wait for this to be over
Old 04-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Hi Karen,
I feel your pain. Loading my dog with Lysodren was one of the most unpleasant anxiety laden activities I have ever experienced. But the good news is that this is day 7 and if things continue with no signs of loading you only have one more pill to give before a stim test. At least you will know what progress you have made.
My dog loaded in 7 days. My instructions were to give the meds for 7 days and then stop and bring him in for a stim. After 7 days there were no signs of being loaded and then on day 8 his drinking lessened and his appetite dropped. His numbers were perfect.
As long as you know the signs and symptoms to look for, and you are in tune with your pet and paying attention, you will be just fine
That said, I pray I never have to go through it again!
Old 04-20-2009, 03:06 AM

Hi Karen,

Since Joe has shown no signs of being loaded, or overloaded thank goodness!, I would say you are on the right track. You're doing a really good job of listening to your gut and you are to be commended for backing that up with the documentation you have on what to look for as he loads. Keep up the good work! Joe is lucky to have such a diligent mom!

Hugs,
Leslie and the girls
Old 04-20-2009, 10:35 AM

Hi again all,

Well, we made it through the weekend without incident and are through with Lysodren (for now...). As of Saturday PM, Joe was still not showing any signs of loading being complete so I gave him his evening dose with his dinner, which he gobbled up as usual. But Saturday night he was very restless, couldn't get comfortable, and kept us both awake most of the night.

Sunday morning he seemed fine and I gave him the first half of his breakfast, which he gobbled down. So then I agonized over what to do- continue Lysodren or not? I decided to split the difference and give him just the morning dose (don't ask me why- not logical maybe but that's what I did).

I called the vet this morning and we discussed whether to continue him another 2 days, and finally decided no more Lysodren and I will bring him in tomorrow (Tuesday) for a stim test. So that's the plan.

And I think maybe just by dumb luck we might have hit it right because this morning, he seemed just a little less eager for his breakfast and eating just a tad slower.

Oh boy, I sure hope this is it (tentative sigh of relief...)

Thanks again everybody for your support- you are the best! (and keep fingers crossed for good numbers on tomorrow's stim test!)

Karen & Joe
Old 04-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Interim CC

Hi there! I'm a lysodren mom too so I understand how scary loading can be but I think you did the right thing and will keep my fingers crossed for your test. Also I just wanted to let you know that the restlessness is very common with cush dogs. Cortisol makes you a little hyper. Many of us have given our dogs melatonin to help them sleep. I get them at GNC and they are tiny little pills (3 mg I believe) and I cut mine in half for my 16 lb schnauzer. People that I know that have taken them say it isn't not at all like a sleeping pill/drug thing but rather a chill pill.. just relaxes them. I give them to my other dog on 4th of July and during lightening storms. She sleeps. Let us know how the test goes. Kim
Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM

Hi Karen,

Quote:
I called the vet this morning and we discussed whether to continue him another 2 days, and finally decided no more Lysodren and I will bring him in tomorrow (Tuesday) for a stim test. So that's the plan.
Glad the weekend went well. Sounds like a good plan to me!!! Most definitely keeping my fingers crossed for good numbers on Joe's stim test tomorrow.

Louise & Munchie
Old 04-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Interim CC

Hi Karen,

I have my fingers crossed, too!!

-Susy
Old 04-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Interim CC

Hi Karen,

Mom's always know best and sounds like you know your Joe....I think you called it right. Fingers and paws are crossed here hoping that Joe's stim test results are music to your ears.

Glynda