Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pip collie lab x cushings arthritis

Hi Julie,

Just to let you know things are very good with pip (i bet you are expecting bad news but i don't have any for you)he perfect playing running and just being a dog rolling cat chasing
    Happy to hear that Pip is doing so well. I can just imagine how happy this makes you feel. Hugs to you and Pip.
    Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

Hi Julie & Pip. I was fascinated by your story. You truly have an amazing spirit and for sure Pip is your canine reflection.

Glad to hear that Pip is doing better, love the stories around the pool. Hydrotherapy and that miracle deep freeze sounds like a perfect combination for him, it will help him loose weight and exercise her legs effectively.

I think you're doing good with the weight loss program. As Leslie said, any ounce less for them is a big improvement; believe me, we've being fighting obesity in Truffa even before cushings. She eats so little that sometimes I feel guilty. When we finally crossed the line below 78 pounds (35 kilos), we where super happy, 2 months later we were 86 pounds (38.7 kilos)....well my husband was here so they got a "little" of his cooking - every meal during the weekends, and during the week a "little bit" of his supper.....and for a senior dog with cushings that's a lot!!!. So my hubby had some new rules : either you go work around USA or South America, or the only thing you're getting at night when you're home are veggies, or you'll have to toughen up and not cave when you see the "begging eyes". So he is working in South America for 2 months and we are on a strict diet now.

I am crazy freaky natural person now and I started Truffa on a weight loss supplement that I am going to try.

http://www.petnaturals.com/vitamins_...-down-plus.php
      Today we finished one bottle of http://www.shop.petfriendly.com/prod...8&categoryId=7, and we are going to be weight .

The other thing is the coconut Oil, which helps with mobility problems, weight loss and apparently a lot more health issues : http://ptpetsupply.tripod.com/sitebu...outcoconut.doc, http://nutiva.com/articles/healthy-d...e-coconut-oil/

I will keep you & Pip in my thoughts. What about a pretty scarf around your head while the other side of your hair grows up?. I'll bet you'd look more pretty than you are right now.

Marcela & the Choco Labs

Comment

Just need some advice please.

Has anyone with a cushings dog ever had trouble with the dogs ears .AS JUST OVER A YEAR PIP HAS CONSTANT PAIN WITH HIS EARS SOMETIMES JUST A LITTLE WAX (i CLEAN HIS EARS EVERY DAY) SOEMTIMES EAR INFECTIONS, BUT LIKE NOW THEY ARE VERY RED AND IRRTAING THE LIFE OUT OF HIM HE TILYS HIS HEAD I'VE CLEANED THEM TODAY BUT NOTHING HAS COME OUT.ALSO WHEN I GO TO WIPE THE FLAPS WITH COTTON WOOL AND JUST INSIDE THE EARDRUM HE CRIES

His still fine just don't know about his ears they seem to get harder the ear cleaner /drops they give as it loopks like his ear canal is narrowing (my vet did say that his canal isw narrowing
        Iwould be very greatful for any advice
        thank you
        julie

Comment

just to let you know pip at vets as ears are so painful and discomfort he cant take any more so i'm off to get hom checked out
          juile

Comment

update on my boy after his vet visit this afternoon.
            Seem's as though Pip has chronic ear problems. His ears are clean (the vet said his ears cant get any cleaner) there is no wax no mites no forgien body.
            When he looked in Pip's ears he said they are clean as i've already said but there is a creamy white colour he said its some type of infection the name is called pseudomonas it's not like your normal ear infection this 1 is harder to treat apperantly .I asked if there was anything i could do to prevent this happening with Pip and the vet said no once they get this type of i=ear infection he will always get it .
            the vet gave Pip his first lot of ear drops while he were at the practice and showed me who to put this in i have to go all the way down the canal
            and also gave him some anti biotics the same as the ear drops
            AURIZON EAR DROPS TWICE DAILY
            MARBOCYL pTABLETS 80MG TWICE DAILY.
            they want to see him in a week .Pip is in for his acth stim on friday at 12pm. then i have to go to hospital to deaf clinic then have another appointment with the vet at 5.10pm friday evening so Pip will stay with vet until i get there to discuss his ears .

julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

There is a product that I use for everything. My dog's uti cleared up so fast it even blew me away. Its Mesosilver. Yes, its been around forever, but this is the only one I would ever dream of using. It is the only SAFE silver on the market. My girlfriends 2 dogs had some kind of skin infection and they were on antibiotics forever, this (spraying it on) cleared it up in no time. Really.

http://www.colloidsforlife.com/silve...Infection.html

http://www.colloidal-silver-colloids...stimonials.htm

Its for topical use and internal use.
              Read up on it, I know it seems too good to be true.
              I don't know why people are so afraid of things that have been around forever, try this, I'm telling you - it works.

Its so safe you can use it for conjuctivitis, I have a friend that has used it on her dog - sprayed it right in her eyes, it cleared up - after trying 2 rounds of antibiotics!!!

Patti

Comment

Hi Patti,
                thanks for the link i will have a look and research Pip is out for the count he's not even woke up for his food and he's very food mad at the moment.
                I've just uploaded some photo's of with Honey on the gallery but have done as a PRIVATE ALBUM so only members that contact me can see.
                Thanks again
                Ju Pip

Comment

Hi Julie,

I've never posted on your thread before. Last summer, Wylie was bothered by his left ear. I looked inside and it was red (inflammed). My regular vet was too busy to see him immediately - I didn't know what it was at the time and didn't want to wait, so I took him to another vet. It turned out to be an ear infection. Wylie never had an ear infection before, as far as I know (I had him since he was 2-1/2 yrs old). Then 2 weeks later, he had a skin infection...and to make a long story short, he then got diagnosed with Cushing's and we believe these infections had to do with his lowered immune system due to Cushing's. I'm not familiar with pseudomonas, but I wonder how controlled Pip's cortisol levels are and wonder if this infection can be controlled better if the Cushing's is controlled better.

-Susy

Comment

Hi Susy,
                    Thank you over the last tear or so Pip has had truble with his ears i asked my normal vet if could be his cushing at the start she said no .but before pip was diagnosed with the cushing he never ever had anything wrong with his ears
                    Pip is in next friday for his acth stim/

LABBLAB
                    hope you found the photo's of pip and honey

julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

sorry to hear that Pip has problems with his ears. Was there a bacterial culture done to make sure it is (solely) pseudomonas? And if so, was there also an antibiogram done to determine to wich antibiotic this particular strain of pseudomonas is sensitive for?

Also, cleaning Pip's ears every day is not a good idea. It will destroy the natural balance in his ears. One way or the other, all earcleaners are "aggressive' when used daily....so you better not do that anymore

And one other thing, did the vet mention that the Aurizon eardrops contain Dexamethasone? And did the vet mention that the Marbocyl can have side effects that could be confused with Cushing's problems? The side effetcs of Marbocyl can include vomitting, soft(er) stools, hyperactivity, changing drinking pattern...so you see why these side effects could be confused with Cushings problems

Whising you and Pip all the best,

Saskia and Yunah

Comment

thank you no the vet didn't mention that at all i've look up on internet and said what you have stated to me
                        I did'nt know it would effect his cushings all the vet said was that he would need a speical ear drop and anti biotic's as a normal erar drops and cleaner wouldn'y touch it.
                        i've always cleaned pips ears with a dog ear cleaner i get from the vets i use to do twice a week then we saw a vet never seen before and she suggested doing pips ears everyday twice aday .i only did that a couple of times as nothing was coming out and pip was going crazy with his ears
                        so i just went back to twice a week
                        thank you do you think i should stop the ear drops and tablets only pip is a lot more settled and relaxed with his ears
                        juile

Comment

Hi Julie,

I just found this article, and of course it's only one vet's findings/belief, but this is what he wrote (link to article is below):

"In dogs, Pseudomonas otitis is the principal disease process caused by this organism. Almost all cases of resistance Pseudomonas are associated with chronic and recurrent otitis induced by a primary/underlying disease ( atopy, food allergy, hypothyroidism, Cushing’s, and conformational
                          abnormalities of the ear). It is likely that the chronic alterations in the otic microenvironment associated with persistent inflammation, sets up a state of hyperhidrosis which is preferred by Pseudomonas. The unique pathogenicity of Pseudomonas allows it to take advantage of the diseased tissue and develop resistance to antibiotics.

The single most important component for the successful treatment of chronic/recurrent otitis is control of the underlying disease process that has caused the alteration in otic microenvironment. Both allergies (atopy and food allergy) and endocrine diseases (hypothyroidism and Cushing’s disease) are common causes of otitis . The infection will not be successfully managed and the recurrent otitis will not stop until the redisposing/underlying disease is identified and controlled. Bacterial culture’s and antibiotic sensitivity profiles should be used to determine which organisms are present and for the selection of appropriate antibiotic therapy. During the course of treatment, cultures and antibiotic sensitivity panels should be repeated to monitor changes in the bacterial population and antibiotic resistance."

http://www.itchnot.com/images/What_a...ns_and_Why.pdf

-Susy

Comment

Oh no Julie, do not stop the drops and the pills. His ears must be very painfull and itchy...and the meds will help relieve those symptoms. But just wanted to make sure that if Pip vomits...or becomes hyperactive for example, that you don't panic and think it is his Cushing's...it could very well be the side effects of the pills And with the Dexamethasone in the eardrops...I would wait with the ACTH test..untill Pip is off the eardrops to make absolutely sure that the Dexamethasone in the eardrups is not interfering with the results of the ACTH test

But a bacterial culture and an antibiogram might be a good idea. The earinfection could be "just" the pseudomonas but there also could be a fungus or yeast infection as well, for example. It's good to know for certain wich bacterias and/or other organisms are involded, since this will help to determine the very best treatment. (pseudomonas is resistant to most antibiotics...so randomly prescribing anti biotics is useless) They can test to which anti biotic the specific strain of pseudomonas is best responding to. I know, that here in The Netherlands, there are no (commercial) eardrops or ointments that contain the right antibiotic to treat pseudomonas. What they will do is make a tailormade cream or bottle of drops by adding the right antibiotics to the (neutral) cream or drops. This is, as far as I know, the best (and actually only) way to treat pseudomonasinfections in ears. But you need a bacterial culture and antibiogram...

But keep giving Pip his current meds for now...they will at least help to relieve (some of) his painfull and itchy symptoms for now.

Saskia and Yunah

Comment

I need advice regarding Pips ear drops

Everytime i put Pip's ear drops in he cries and whimpers mainly on the left side his ears are very painful and itching red and sore Do you think i should STOP giving him the ear drops and just give him the anti biotics tablets as right now he's not liking his ears touched at all

i would be very greatful for any advice
                              juile:

Comment

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear Pip is having trouble with his ears now. I think you should carry on with the drops, hopefully they will start working soon. Spicey had the Aurizon drops last year and they worked well. When their ears are sore they do whimper when you put the drops in and Spicey always hates it when the vet looks deep in her ears. Also like Saskia suggested I would wait a bit longer before having the ACTH test. Spicey was due to have a test when she was on the drops and we had to delay it for a week as the lab said it could have an influence on the test.

Linda and Spicey

Comment

Working...
                                X