Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Do you give your dog probiotics?

Mochi went to the vet after a day of having non stop diarrhea and throwing up 2 times.

Luckily the vet said it's not pancreatitis and it's most likely he has some kind of bacterial virus or bug from eating the cat poo. He prescribed him with some antibiotics called metronidazole and has to take it for 7 days. His poo is finally back to normal today. But im a little concerned with the antibiotics killing all his good bacteria and will cause his immune system to be weaker.

I'm thinking about getting some probiotic supplements for him to take while hes on antibiotics. Do any of you give your dogs probiotics and is it safe for dogs with diabetes to take?
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 11-24-2018, 08:22 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Do you give your dog probiotics?

I have given jesse probiotics before . It did not have a negative impact on her . I guess it could affect digestion maybe speeding it up . Not sure if you would want to give it while taking antibiotics and may want to wait till after done using it because i dont know how much good would come from it because the antibiotic is still working against the bacteria

Jesse had some digestive issues with soft pooh earlier in the summer and i started giving her milk thistle . It cleared up and decided just to continue to give it to her as she is an older gal and i think its ok to give as she seems to be doing well Glad mochi is doing better
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-25-2018, 02:06 AM
Senior Member and Moderator

I donít think probiotics can hurt, and may have important advantages. I gave Annie probiotics anytime she seemed to have diarrhea. There was one brand (sold for dogs) that, if I remember correctly, also helped with her appetite.

My wife had a bad case of salmonella food poisoning two weeks ago and her doctor told her to take probiotics. She said she was sure they helped her.

Craig
Old 11-30-2018, 05:37 PM

Yukon has been on Purina Fortiflora once a day for the last 3 or so years. It has helped him tremendously with diarrhea and digestive issues. He is a newly diagnosed diabetic so I can't tell you if the probiotic is affecting his diabetes because he's not regulated yet.

But it has helped him with his other issues.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:27 PM
Senior Member and Moderator

Fortiflora was the only brand Maggie would tolerate being put in her food. She was so picky if she even smelled anything off, she would not eat. She seemed to like the Fortiflora and it seemed to help. It never caused her sugar to be off.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:50 PM

We're still unregulated so I don't know about the diabetes part, but Rocky had been having intermittent diarrhea so we started using Proviable probiotic as well as slippery elm. The combination definitely seems to have helped. Proviable is made by Nutra Max, the same company that makes Dennamarin if you are familiar with that. It's a veterinary product but you can get it on Amazon and probably Costco as well. I know they sell the Dennamarin because that's where we buy it.