Anyone know more info about Apoquel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know more info about Apoquel?

Mochi was on apoquel about two months ago and for some reason his blood sugar was really high and wouldn't go down while he was on apoquel. It did help with his itching but I didn't want to risk his blood sugars getting high so I took him off of it. My dad wanted to try putting him back on apoquel after his blood sugars been regulated again. Should I risk it?
    He gave him half a pill this morning and I'm really worried.

Is anyone using it for your dogs allergies? Has it caused your dogs blood sugars to rise? Also how long has your dog been on it?

Thank you
    Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
    Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
    Had cataract surgery June 2016.
    On 5 units of HumilinN

Re: Anyone know more info about Apoquel?

I believe Mike Murphy & Amy Dunn have used it.

I had good results using Atarax for skin related allergies on my Pug boys.
    Last edited by farrwf; 04-24-2017, 09:41 PM.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Lily was on Apoquel for several weeks and it did stop or mask her itching. It didn't seem to raise her BG.

However it didn't solve the cause of the itching, which turned out to be sarcoptic mange. Treating her with Revolution killed the mites which were the source of the itch.
      Lily is a 62 lb English Setter, born 07-27-2007.
      Diabetes: Aug 2013
      Went peacefully to heaven on 04-24-2021
      Video in Lily’s memory: https://www.facebook.com/10000201631...3260300417807/

Comment

Maggie was on apoquel and it made her life bearable. Her blood sugar was consistently lower on it. The first time we used it, she dropped so much that we had to change her dosage to a lower dose. She was on it long term because of the severity of her allergies and her blood sugar stayed low. So, I can't really explain why you are having the opposite effect.

You can always raise insulin dosage if she goes higher. If it helps itching, there is something to be said for a better quality of life.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Eddie has been on Apoquel for several years, virtually since it came on the market. It makes a huge difference to his itchiness and we have never observed any impact on blood sugar numbers. He has more than the stated dose for his weight as that is what is needed to keep him comfortable. When he has had a particular problem e.g. an ear infection (which does raise his blood sugar)we have even gone back to the loading dose(with vet's approval).
          Antonia
          Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

how's Moki,s blood sugar after 1\2 pill.??

might be a good idea to do a curve in a couple of days.

mmm does he eat anything with the apoquel?

Mo
            Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
            20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

How long did it take for the apoquel to start working on your dog guys? Mochi's been on it since Monday but it doesn't seem to stop him from wanting to chew off his feet..still wearing the cone of shame..
              Doesn't help that it's Spring...he's allergic to 70% of the things outdoors.

I will do a blood sugar test tonight or tomorrow on him to see if it went up. Keeping my fingers crossed that it was just a coincidence that time. Mochi's blood sugar was already up at 300-360 before we started giving him the apoquel but it seemed to have spiked it up to the 500's.

I just don't want to risk it and keep him on the meds if it doesn't really make a difference.
              Mochi is a 11 year old Pomeranian. Weighing 11-12 lbs
              Diagnosed with diabetes February 2016
              Had cataract surgery June 2016.
              On 5 units of HumilinN

Comment

With Maggie, it worked within a couple of days. But some times of the year when her allergies were at their worst, it didn't seem effective. It was just because she was allergic to so many things that there was only so much it could do.

Are you doing a curve or just randomly testing her?
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Working...
                X