Chews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chews

Daisy - thanks for posting the detail on these chews - my dogs all are super aggressive chewers - they have dog toy pieces...not dog toys! I will order one of these for each of them & give it a try - it would be nice to see something they can chew on without destroying immediately. Question - is this something I can just leave around for them to chew at will or is it something that I should control - pickup after awhile & decide when they can have them??

PS Thanks for the coupon code!!

Comment

Originally posted by Patty View Post
      That's awesome to hear Daisy! Yeah, the medium was an ok size for Ali but the large probably would have been better. You are right, it's hard to judge size until you see your dog with it.

I did order Ali a large antelope antler as well from Eric's place www.crookedcreekantlerart.com It's really perfect for her. She chews on it just about every day. And as you said, it's nice to have something that doesn't affect bgs that they love.

I uploaded some pictures in Ali's album with the antlers to help with judging size. Seeing other dogs with theirs helped me a bit in deciding.

Hope Noodle loves the cooler mat! Ali had one for a while but just wouldn't use hers much.

Patty

I know all dogs are adorable, but geez - how stinking photogenic is Ali? I'm sure a lot of the credit goes to the skilled photographer (kudos!), but she is just crazy cute!

Noodle's is the large size and it does seem to be the perfect size for him too (so far - we'll see how long it ultimately lasts). It's still small enough for him to hold between his paws, but not so thin that he can chew through it fast. Looking at Ali's pics, it seems like the biggest difference between the mediums and larges is the diameter of the chew.

Noodle's new cooling mat is "resting" (per instructions, lol) on the kitchen counter as we speak. Now I just have to settle on it's permanent home...which will not be my bathroom. But with my luck, he will still prefer the bathroom floor.
      Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Originally posted by Tikobird View Post
        Daisy - thanks for posting the detail on these chews - my dogs all are super aggressive chewers - they have dog toy pieces...not dog toys! I will order one of these for each of them & give it a try - it would be nice to see something they can chew on without destroying immediately. Question - is this something I can just leave around for them to chew at will or is it something that I should control - pickup after awhile & decide when they can have them??

PS Thanks for the coupon code!!

I completely understand - Noodle won't even chew on Kongs anymore...too easy I guess, lol. Everything just ends up in a pile of pieces very quickly. He prefers things that are rock hard and these Antlerz meet that requirement.

I did supervise and control when he chewed it the first few days. I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to affect his BG significantly and see how well it held up to his type of chewing. But I haven't seen any signs of it splintering or of him being able to break smaller pieces off of it, like he has with bones. It seems to wear down in a pattern that's kind of a mix between large bones and the big raw hides. It grinds down like a bone, but you can see some unevenness on the end like a rawhide roll. Thankfully, unlike a rawhide roll, it doesn't get mushy and it doesn't look like there is any way to rip a piece off and swallow it.

If I were you, I would watch them with it for a bit to see if it holds up better then everything else they've tried. I would also spot check Dozer's BG after the first few chewing sessions to make sure it doesn't cause a spike or drop.

Noodle used to get quite a drop after chewing a large bone for a long time (he was pretty intense about it, so I guess it was somewhat aerobic for him, lol), but then he would spike from whatever he was ingesting. It was too unpredictable, so we had to change to controlling when he could have it and for how long. Now it's great to be able to just leave a chew out all the time. He goes to it a few times a day and has returned to having a nice long chew after his evening meal before he goes to sleep. I guess he finds it a nice relaxing way to end the evening.
        Daisy & Noodle - 9 yr old Lab mix dx 1/09 ~ 51lbs ~ 38U Humulin N, 2x ~ 1 3/4 cups am/pm Blue Buffalo dry, 1/4 can am/pm BB Wilderness.

Comment

Awe...thanks Daisy But you're right ALL dogs are adorable

Let us know how the cooling mat works out!
          Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thanks Daisy - I'll order them & see how we do

Comment

Just wanted to mention I learned the http://www.crookedcreekantlerart.com/ website is having a photo contest next month. I know a few of us get antlers from them so thought I'd pass it along. They said to watch for details to come.

Tell your pup to say cheese
              Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Working...
              X