Sammy's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sammy's Story

Sammy's glucose level 2.2 = 40 this morning so no insulin given, given him the first half of his morning feed. His pattern is low glucose readings in the morning but by lunch(4 hours) time high twenties = in the 500's.
    Last edited by Bevm; 09-17-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

I am no expert (so see what others think) but based solely on my experience of one diabetic dog, I would still give some insulin even when you get a low like 2.2. I have always found that I over-corrected for a low like that and Eddie ends up too high.

Now if he has a low like that I would give him some honey and his food and still give him a dose of insulin but just a bit less than usual. For you as you are just feeling your way, I would try maybe half a dose ie 1 unit but I do feel that if you don't give some insulin with each meal he is going to carry on swinging about.

If you give some honey/glucose and some food then you know you will be jolting his sugar up to relieve the immediate low and after that my experience is that you need to get back into something like the normal routine. You can always test fairly frequently to check what is going on in the hours after feeding/injecting.

But - I speak just from observing our own dog and others may disagree so see what others think.

I would try not to worry too much about him feeling bad at the moment. It is probably inevitable until you get him a bit more stable. But remember that he can get through this and it is worth battling on with it, even though you can't explain it to him! It's a bit of a marathon....

Antonia
      Eddie - Lab x golden retriever. Weighed 63lbs. Ate Canagan. Diagnosed October 2012. 13units of Caninsulin twice a day. Had EPI as well as diabetes. Died 20 June 2017. Loved forever.

Comment

You can't go by lethargy and drinking as those may be symptomatic of high numbers as well. I would keep that dose at 2 units(I think I understood that is what you decided on). Test as much as possible around those low points.

Unless he is dangerously low, then stick with the same dose and give it time to settle for a few days and try to do a blood glucose curve.

If he is still producing his own insulin sporadically, then that may be another reason why he is going low at times.
        Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

[But remember that he can get through this and it is worth battling on with it, even though you can't explain it to him! It's a bit of a marathon....

Antonia[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your supportive advise and words Antonia, I particularly like your positivity and I will hold on to that 'he can get through this' !! Oh I long for that day

Sammy is brighter today and even managed a short walk, which id great after the last 3 days

Hugs to you all

Comment

Thank you Amy I will do what you advise and let you know how we get on , Sammy enjoyed a short walk today

Comment

Hi
              I was away for three days last week and my brother looked after Sammy in my home and an friend who is experienced with giving animals injections came in twice a day to give Sammy his insulin 2 x 2ml. His weight has dropped to the lowest 5.5 kilos disappointing since we had him at 6.20 kilos the week before.
              Sammy is drinking more again and tired but not been unsteady on his feet like he was when I reduced insulin to 5 just once a day.

I have been doing tests before I feed Sammy in a morning and his readings are all high 560,434, 582, High 2ml given with food, another test taken 3 hours later 572, next morning 554, and HI again this morning. I plan to do a full curve 24 hour curve over today and tomorrow so we will be able to see better what is happening with Sammy

Comment

Sounds like sammy is running high and showing some symptoms of those higher numbers , a curve is a good idea

the possible honeymoon period maybe ending where sammy may have produced some of his own insulin . the curve will help to determine the next move
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Agree with jesse girl, ... looks like classic high B/G symptoms. Will be interested in what the curve tells us.
                  Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Hi thank you for your replies
                    I wanted to do a curve today but had to work this afternoon quite a long drive so exhausted and it's nearly 1:0O a m and I do not think I can stay up testing all night
                    So far results are 7am 554, 8am High I gave him 2.5 ml insulin with half his meal, 9:30 196 rest of his meal, 12:00 554, Working, 19:30 574 gave him 2.5 insulin with his meal, 21:00 421, 24:00 hrs midnight 342, 2am 148,7am 434, 8am 491 half meal and 2.5 ml insulin, 10 am 522, 12am 468, 2pm 450, 4pm 558, 6pm 477

What do you think? To me there is an improvement since over the last 32 hours from the readings we have got there appears to be no very low results like we were getting before but still spiking high the curve lots like a child's drawing of a mountain range

I will continue to test and add the results to those above throughout the day and as much into the night as possible, I have a hectic work schedule tomorrow plus all week so will need to try and get some sleep
                    Last edited by Bevm; 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post
                      Agree with jesse girl, ... looks like classic high B/G symptoms. Will be interested in what the curve tells us.
                      What is B/G and what are the symptoms please?

Comment

Originally posted by Bevm View Post
                        What is B/G and what are the symptoms please?

High Blood Glucose; ... excessive thirst and urination.
                        Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

Originally posted by farrwf View Post

High Blood Glucose; ... excessive thirst and urination.
                          Thank you that should have been obvious - you can tell I am sleep deprived he hee
                          I was thinking it was something new to me , like the Somogyi Rebound was.

Comment

Would he only eat half his meal at 7? I was wondering because it seems to be common with high blood sugar. Then, I saw where he ate the rest at 9:30. At that point, I probably would not do the curve. I mean you can still do the tests but when you have a split meal, you can't use the curve to really make a decision because it is not based on normal circumstances unless....it common for him to only eat partial meals and then go back later?
                            Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Hi Amy
                              It is normal for Sammy to have his meal in two halves, he has his first half at 8am he frantically woofs his food down - he would eat twice as much, but the food passes through him undigested, you can clearly see what he has eaten. By giving him a rest in between his faeces show the food is being digested plus he is satisfied.

Do you think Sammy still has too much insulin in his system? Could that be what is causing him to still go high and drop? Reading up on Somogyi Rebound it says it does not have to go very low it is how steeply it goes up and down - is that your experience? It is so difficult isn't it? I think high blood glucose so give him more insulin to bring it down but the signs indicate could be that he has too much so last thing he needs is more, but how do you know which it is?

Comment

I don't think rebound is the issue. I think he may be producing his own insulin sporadically. Another scenario could be the splitting of his meal - perhaps you could get a slow feeder bowl to slow him down. You are giving him the full dose of insulin with only half the meal. Then, he gets the rest of his meal which may cause his highs later. If you split the insulin dose, you would have overlap. That is why it is best to follow the 12 hour interval, especially when you are trying to get them to regulation. Another explanation of the drop rather than rebound. The entire insulin dose doesn't have enough food to slow it down. Every little detail matters with timing and balancing insulin and food.

Comment

Working...
                                X