Newly Diagnosed and Confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newly Diagnosed and Confused

This is an update on Isabelle. I started home cooking with a diet of mostly sweet potatoes, collard greens, chicken and Fiber One. Her numbers dropped and her insulin was cut in half - great news! She successfully had her gallbladder removed as well as a tumor on her liver removed, but post survery she refused to eat her home cooked diet, refused to eat prescription diabetes friendly commercial dog food. It was not that she was not hungry but she wanted to eat what she wanted to eat and nothing else would do. She also has kidney problems so the protein that she craves had to be limited. Finally, after trying numerous foods approved by her nutrtrionist, we found a combination that works - Blue prescription kidney kibble mixed with a bit of Royal Canin kidney friendly canned food. We are now ratcheting up her insulin little by little (sigh) to get her sugar in line with ner kidney healthy diet. It has been a long 6 weeks, but she is finally returning to her old sassy self.
    Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

I'm so happy to see this! Hang in there. I had to remind myself more than once that nobody wins a prize because their dog is on less insulin. She needs what she needs and not having to home cook her meals is way less hassle for you!

Keep getting sassy Isabelle. xoxo Judi
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Isabelle keeps me on my toes! We had to adjust her diet to accomodate her kidney levels and her taste buds. She decided that she did not like my home cooking so after many taste tests we compromised on a kidney friendly diet that she would eat and adjusted her insulin to 13 units. She gained back her weight and recovered from her gallbladder and liver surgery - and last week I noticed that she was hesitant on her walks, sniffing more - because her good eye now had developed a cataract to match the one on her other eye! It appears that she still has partial vision but I made an appointment at the opthamologist for her. She has been through so much in the past few months! We will discuss cataract surgery so she can see from at least one eye. She is a trooper
        Izzy's Mom - 11 years old, 24 pounds, diabetic since May, 2016, 12 units Humulin N every 12 hours; 1/2 cup Blue prescription k/s three times a day and a regular grain free greenie after dinner

Comment

Its amazing how we have to adapt to new challenges
          Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
          Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

An update on Izzy. After seeing the opthamologist it was determined that she has sudden retina degeneration (unrelated to her diabetes) and "rock hard" cataracts. Cataract surgery would not help her vision so I am her seeing eye person. She is adjusting remarkeably well and is fine around the house and a bit hesitant walking outdoors, but getting more confident every day. She knows to step up when I say "up" and down when hearing "down." She is the princess in a little red wagon I bought at a yard sale for longer walks with me. We finally have her insulin adjusted for her kidney friendly diet and have discovered a new food for treats - raw asparagus! She has weathered this latest health issue like a champ.

Comment

Something I heard from vets and read on vet sites, asparagus is very hard to chew so dogs may swallow it whole and it can be a choking hazard.
              Some people lightly blanch it to aid in chew and digestion.
              Just an FYI.
              Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.

Comment

congrats on overcoming this last challenge and hope things go smooth sailing
                Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

Thanks _ I will blanch the asparagus, along with the broccoli that she loves

Comment

Working...
                  X