Precious Buster is an angel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Buster has diabetes and IBD

Yes I did the reduced dose before. I just dont like him not eating. I am also afraid of his test too. Also if he doesnt want to eat this anymore I need to find something else and you know with his IBD it is hard. Thank you for answering me.
    I am going to the store cause I am going crazy in the house watching him and thinking. I will write again later.
    I welcome everyones suggestions.
    Love you all

Comment

What happens if I put the food down and he eats a little. Then what should I do with the insulin?

Comment

I vote for just skipping the food for one to two meals to give his digestive system a chance to rest.

Unless he's dangerously thin, there's no harm in missing a meal or two and it might improve his appetite.

Natalie

Comment

He keeps barking at everyone for some darn food.

Comment

Well, I have to think it will give him pause to turn down the next meal he gets after skipping a couple!

But it's also good for their system, especially ones prone to IBD, etc., to have a break. Skipping a meal or two could conceivably make him feel physically better later.

If you wind up feeding anyway, you will just have to guess how much insulin to give him. No one can tell you how much will work. Anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of the usual dose can be given on an empty stomach - it varies dog to dog.

If he eats some, you have to pick a dose somewhere between 1/4 and the full dose and there's no way for me or anyone else to tell you how much it should be.

Natalie

Comment

I have been guessing now with the way he has been eating. He is running on the high side because of it. I get so worried that I give him less insulin cause he wasn't eating he full amount and then later I would give him cheese or the vets treats or some chicken cause I get worried. Ok so if I don't feed him and he is running high should I give 1/4 or 1/2 of his reg dose. His reg dose is 17. The last few days I gave him 12 and he was high

Comment

I didnt feed him even though I think he was waiting for his food. My husband bought new food so I am going to have to gradually give to him. I gave him 4CC. I hope everything is alright.

Comment

It's not my goal to be a jerk - though it may seem like that's what I'm doing... Here's the thing.

You have all of the information available about how much food you've given him and when and how much insulin you've given him and when and how his blood sugar responded to that food and insulin.

So you are the best person on the planet to decide how much insulin to give him next time. You can take what you did and note how well it worked, or didn't, and adjust your next attempt.

I can't do that any better than you can.

In fact, I can't do it as well as you can because I don't have all the details of what you've done over the past couple days.

When I was in your shoes, as I was many many times during Chris' last two years when he sometimes refused to eat, I made a decision about how much insulin to give and then I tested him and monitored him. Sometimes it wasn't enough insulin. Sometimes it was too much and I had to give him syrup...

Every time I had to guess, I learned a little more about how to handle those problems.

None of those guesses - and that's truly what they were - that I made were ever perfect but none of them did him any lasting harm either. A few days of higher blood sugar is not the end of the world.

That's the part that is hard for you to remember I think. That you're not failing or hurting Buster if your guess about how much to give isn't perfect.

The only failure would be to not try to learn from your previous attempts.

You have learned that 12 units isn't covering how much food he's eaten. So you know that for that much food he needs more insulin. You know what you've done over the past couple of days and how well it worked. Take that and the general guidelines and come up with your next best guess about what to do.

I know you well enough to know that you are a worrier by nature. There is nothing I can do or say, including telling you how much insulin to give every day for the next two weeks, that will keep you from worrying. But you're always going to be the one with the best information on which to make the next guess.

Natalie

Comment

You are never a jerk to me. I do write down in detail what I do. I even write down to how many pieces of food I give him. The past few days I was adjusting his insulin. I just don't think of not feedin g for a day or so. I know you are not here with me and buster (even though there are times I wish you were). I value everything you say to me more than you know. I listened to it as if you were his vet. I hope you are not upset with me. I know introducing this new food is going to be trial and error. I just hope I don't go that far off mark

Comment

I'm not upset with you at all.

Unfortunately, I know you're going to worry yourself sick no matter what I do. If there was one thing I could change, it would be to give you some relief from worrying about Buster as much as you do and more confidence in your own abilities. After all, you haven't "broken" him so far, right????

Hang in there Debbie. I know you've been through a lot yourself lately.

Natalie

Comment

Yes I do and I am. Worrying about Tomorrow morning when I feed him and if he will eat and when the doc calls and hope I am not in physical therapy My knee still hurts and gets swollen. Between me and you I would never recommend this to anyone. You know me very well. No I haven't broken him. I have Just hope he eats and the vet doesn't give me bad new.

Comment

I just hope he eats and the vet doesn't give me bad new.
                          Me too Debbie. Me too. I will be checking for news.

Natalie

Comment

Morning update. Last nite I didnt feed and I checked his blood and he was getting low gave him some syrup. He seemed to have slept better last nite. Gave him is belly pill (a pill to coat his belly before he eats-cant think of name-I take them too cause I have ulcers). He wanted to eat. Gave him a little more than a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 5 pieces of chicken and about 1/3 of cup of his new food. He ate and wanted more but I didnt give him more. I didnt want to upset his belly.
                            Will be back later.

Comment

That's great and exciting when they want to eat- hard not to give more but good on Buster
                              Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Thank you I hope the worst has passed.

Comment

Working...
                                X