Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New Member: 10 yr old JRT Maggie May

CarolW,

Thank you for the reply! He did not do a culture and found no obvious signs of a UTI in her urine test, but these are the same symptoms that we saw in her previous infections. They have never lasted this long.

He said that her blood tests didn't show anything alarming. In regards to her urine test Thursday, he said that some things look better and some things do not. There was some sugar in the urine, protein, white blood cells, slightly high bilirubin, etc. So, he changed her antibiotic to Baytril. Looking back, the last times that she had an infection we treated it with Baytril. I wouldn't have wasted 5 days with Amoxitabs if I would have remembered. But, then again, her tests weren't alarming.

I will be back at the vet next week. However, my vet is on a mission trip in Ghana as of today. I have confidence in the other vet and the relief vet fill-in (my sister in-law). Maybe they will do the tests that you asked about.

The Baytril (or good gracious, something else) is causing vomiting, not severe, but blurps (which has always been common for Maggie.

I am just terrified about these prolonged readings of "Hi" every 12 hours. It cannot be good for her system.
    Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.

Comment

Jesse girl,

Thank you for the response. I have been tempted many times to split the dosage. However, for the most part, Maggie has been pretty regular.

She has some type of bacterial infection that has thrown her WAY off. When I return to the vet tomorrow or Monday, I will ask about a temporary split.

Her BG rose dropped from 311 to 262 in one hour. But, I would bet 20 bucks that we will be back at "HI" by 6:00 am. I am pretty much sitting up staring at her. That is not helpful either!
      Amy & Maggie May Miller, diagnosed 10-23-2010. Novolin, 6 units, 2x daily (increased to 7 units on 7-14-2011 because of consistent spikes). Currently eating Blue Buffalo Longevity for Mature Dogs: can & dry.

Comment

I too think a urinary culture is warranted vs. just a look under the microscope. A culture will tell you if there is an infection, what type of bacteria and which antibiotic would be effective.

Did the blood panel cover a thyroid test by chance?

Also I wonder if you could ask your vet about using something like pepcid for her stomach upset.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Thank you all so much for your replies. Maggie's BG started a decline at 1:30 am and was 288 this morning at 6:30 am, as opposed to the "HI" that I have seen at the end of every 12 hour cycle for about 8 days.

So, the Baytril has finally kicked in. I think that I need to buy it in bulk!

If the vet could prescribe anti-anxiety medicine for the parents, we would be a happy pair!

Comment

Amen!!!!! They should really prescribed us anti-anxiety.

Comment

Maggie is still vomiting due the antibiotic. Just blurps of watery food, mostly water. What home remedy can I give to a 15 lb female Jack Russell?

Comment

The principle my vets taught me - several vets over the years - was that, if a dog is vomiting because of antibiotics (and it may take a few days before that starts, after starting the antibiotic) - is to take the dog OFF the antibiotic, and request a change of antibiotic.

So, if it were me, I'd report to my vet (hope yours is open Saturdays) - and pick up a different kind.

Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:19:40 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

Thanks, Carol. The last time that my vet prescribed Baytril, Maggie was taking cimetidine for vomiting. Maggie has always been "pukey." Baytril is my 2nd antibiotic. On a happier note, her BG is reasonably stable, a little high in the upper 180s-280s, but stable, not "HI."

Comment

Well, I have to re-think my reply, too. If Maggie is keeping down most of her food, you may not need to change the antibiotic. Instead, you could give her a probiotic.

If she's not lactose-intolerant, you can use low or no-fat plain yogurt, with live, active culture - my vet says, a heaping teaspoon per meal. My vet didn't care if I gave it with the meal (and antibiotic), or a few hours later.

If she's lactose-intolerant, you can use Acidophilis capsules. I used to break them open, and feed half a capsule, sprinkling it over Kumbi's food, or mixing it into his wet food. Same for Kwali (not diabetic).

Haven't faced this with Camellia yet (4-year-old Havanese, not diabetic), but she will eat yogurt off my palm.

Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:43:50 (PDT)
                    http://www.coherentdog.org/
                    CarolW

Comment

When thinking back, Maggie began the vomiting before the antibiotic, not everyday, but often. This is very common for her. She goes through bouts of it. I am now thinking that her problems are gastrointestinal and NOT a UTI. She is pukey for about 3 hours (4-7 hours after food/insulin). This just began again about 2 weeks ago. We have only been on antibiotics for one week. I am heading back to vet on Monday. She has always been a pukey girl, even before diabetes. Maybe, looking back, she was showing signs of the pancreatitis that would eventually cause her diabetes. Maybe that is what is still reoccurring about every few months or so. Would that show up in a blood test? She had a blood test a week ago. He said there was nothing alarming.

Basically, the vomiting occurs when I let her drink too much water. She blurps it back up, along with food. She usually eats the food back up (nice, I know).

Comment

Is Maggie still on digestive enzymes?

Does she currently take a probiotic? Carol's suggestion is a good one to add. Culturelle is an over the counter you could give.

Ali will reflux water as well if I let her drink too much.
                        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Maggie is not longer taking the pancreatic enzymes. We have literally had no problems since February. I have no idea where this infection came from. We walk outdoors a lot, so she could have picked up something nasty. She is not allowed out of my sight, but her sneaky little self may have ingested something. Can I order pancreatic enzymes without a prescription? I am heading to town soon for the yogurt or culturelle. Thank you.

Comment

Well, over Friday night and Saturday, it seemed that the BG was leveling out. No readings over 200 from late Friday night through Saturday at 1:00 pm. Then at 7:00 pm, she was at 710. She received 7 units, ate well, Baytril (antibiotic), and got 50 mg of Cimetidine. No vomiting. All readings overnight below 200. At 6:00 am, BG 466. Got same food, same units, and same medication. At 11:00 am 147. Now at 2:00 pm 710. Only 2 small blurps of vomit. Minimal activity.

I am at a loss. I am heading back to the vet in the morning. This has been almost 2 weeks of spikes. What is going on?

Comment

when i see big rises in blood sugar i usually blame it on a response from the body steep drops , illness , low numbers and medication all those things relate to possible stress on the body creating wide disparity's in blood sugar food usually doesn't have that kind of impact so the sugar most come from some where

its possible you may have to reduce a bit and see if your baby can settle in a constant range it may be a bit higher than you like but if you stop seeing these huge rises that would give you a clue
                              Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                              Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

What do I reduce? The Baytril, the Cimetidine, or the insulin? The vet bumped us to 7 units Thursday due to high BG.

Comment

Working...
                                X