Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog

Diabetes Discussion: Your Dog Anything related to your diabetic dog.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:33 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: When should I increase his insulin?

Normally you should do a curve to determine dose adjustments but i do adjust jesses dose depending on fasting but not by much .
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-23-2019, 03:18 PM

Would you increase the dose of insulin even if it goes back to a normal range number by the end of the day?
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 11-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Founding Member

What I do if she is above 250 at fasting I will give her a half unit more . If below that I will keep it at a normal dose . !20 and below I will give hew a half unit less

I dont see a problem if sugar isn't really that consistent with a dose that is with making small adjustments . The Ultimate goal and allot of dogs dont get there and still do good is under 200 maybe for two thirds of the day
Jesse-26 lbs - 15 years old - 9.5 years diabetic - one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack - 3 shots of Novolin a day sometimes Novolog or r as a correction to higher sugar but that is rare. total insulin for a 24 hour period is between 8 and 10 units of NPH insulin depending on her fasting number
Old 11-23-2019, 04:39 PM

Thank you so much...I'll have to do a full day curve to see.

I think he's been higher throughout the day than lower..
But the past few weeks he's been having ups and downs every 2 hours. It would be lower around 250 at noon sometimes and then 2 hours later up to 380 and then back down again 2 hours after that.
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 11-24-2019, 08:39 AM
Founding Member

sounds like a plan
Old 11-24-2019, 01:16 PM

My jet lag has been so bad...I ended up not being able.to take the numbers after the first fasting number until the midday number...

It's still quite high...I raised his dose of insulin only by 0.25units.

6am fasted- 310 (17.3mmol)
12pm midday- 410 (22.6mmol)

I'm starting to worry...what could be causing his sugars to have gone up...? It has been pretty consistent before. Besides his leg injury and bringing him to rehab last week there isn't much of a change with anything else...
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 11-24-2019, 04:17 PM
Founding Member

They haven't made a test strip to tell us where the sugar came from . Wish they could so all we can do is speculate

As long as your testing blood sugar a little bump should be ok . What I look for is if the bump drives numbers higher but with any dose adjustment higher give it 5 to 7 days to settle
Old 11-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Can these bumps happen with anything? Even when the dogs totally fine?
Mochi's going on his 4th year being a diabetic and I still feel so clueless when things like this happen.
So far his blood sugar hasn't dropped too much...

6am fasted- 310 (17.3mmol)
12pm midday- 410 (22.6mmol)
2pm -270 (15mmol)
4pm-273 (15.2mmol)

I'm hoping for one last drop at 6pm..
On 4.5 units of HumilinN
Old 11-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Founding Member

Their can be no rhyme or reason . You must remember we are replacing a fine tuned natural process that works on a demand function . If the body needs insulin it produces it the same for sugar . What we do is a time release type of system that slowly gets released into the body . Quite different than the natural process

If the body calls for blood sugar maybe for energy and produces to much and not enough insulin to cope than sugar can spike .

We are actually very fortunate we are able to get the regulation we do and shows the body tries to adapt

You have done a good job with mochi . 4 years is fantastic . You cant control the process from start to finish . I tried and it just makes you nuts . So I am content with what we do with jesse and she has lived quite some time with the disease and she is far from perfect
Old 11-25-2019, 08:28 AM

Jesse makes good points, we can't control the process like we want. Diabetes is full of ups and downs. It's knowing when the ups/highs are more than a slight hiccup.
Consistent forever regulation is not how diabetes works. We human diabetics go thru hiccups all the time.

My dog right now has had almost a week of morning fastings higher than I like. Nothing has changed so now I wonder. However, this has happened many times before and suddenly he'll be back to better fastings.
So no panic now, but if it continues, then a vet conversation will be in order.

Your numbers show that at least he's coming down, like a typical bowl curve. The slight dose increase might be enough to bring fastings down, which should make all numbers lower relatively.
Riley, 8 yr. old maltipoo, 25 lbs., diagnosed Feb 2017, taking thyroid meds, had pancreatitis and DKA mid March, eating Wellness Senior formula can food. NPH dosage now at 9.0 units Humulin N. Adding either pumpkin, spinach, blueberries, yams, or green beans to his food. Also omega-3 oil.