Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum

Go Back   Diabetes in Dogs: The k9diabetes.com Forum > Everything Else

Everything Else Anything that's not related to diabetes in dogs!

Old 10-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Jack - new to my house

He is soo cute Natalie!

I have been looking on the website www.dogsindanger.com but it has been our busy season (3 more days then I am closed for the season - I still work but I don't have 40 employees to deal with. I only have 2 full time employees besides my husband and myself.) If I do get a new dog it will be after December when we get back from the convention.

I really want my daughter's dog Dahli but she won't give her up. Besides there is already such a tight bond there that Dahli would be devistated. But she is such a cool dog and so loveable.

I do have a new stray cat that one of my employees begged me to take in. I thought I could find her a home but she was pretty mangy and not very pretty but she is looking better and as sweet as can be. She must have been an indoor cat. She won't even let you take her near the door and never goes out when the door of the office is propped open.

Last edited by bowens2; 10-17-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:00 AM
Administrator

It's so overwhelming to look. We did have a few criteria, which made it easier. We knew we didn't want a baby puppy and, as much as we'd like to help a senior, we just weren't ready to get a dog we knew would not be around for very long. Too soon after Chris for that. Someday we hope to provide a senior with a home.

A couple of years ago Jeff saw a dog on a cover of a magazine... Bark maybe... who looks a lot like Jack. He asked me to scan it for him so he could put it on his computer. So there was something about the border collie look that appealed to both of us.

I can also see shades of Chris' expressions in that picture of Jack...

There were other dogs available at the same time, though they actually did not have many medium to large dogs on their adoption page (and even fewer that could be adopted to a home with cats) that night. But we both focused on Jack right away.

Jack likes to sleep with some part of his body on top of a foot. Right now he's under my desk with his chin on my foot after a walk this morning.

Betty, I was laughing about how you'd really like to have Dahli!! We felt like that about Hank, the stray we had for a few days a couple of years ago. I wanted so badly to keep that dog! But we couldn't do it. Chris would have been miserable. After the lost boy we had here a couple of weeks ago, I was lamenting that we always seem to wind up having to give up the sweet animals we find. Pout, whine, feel sorry for myself... but Jack is extremely sweet and we got to choose him!

Hope you can find just the right one to add to your household Betty. He or she would be very lucky to wind up with you.

How is Monk?

Natalie
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Founding Member

Gosh Niki does the same thing, always has to have her paw on my foot, she's done this since I brought her home, my husband had noticed it. It's most of the time her paw, but sometimes her head with her baby toy.

Now lets see if when you are sitting next to him he takes his head and puts it under your elbow and throws you arm around his neck!! Like your arm is a toy. lol

If i think of it I'll post the pic of it
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Dolly, I'd love to see pictures!!

Today, we took Jack to a dog park in the city where the SPCA he came from is located. A woman stood up, gave him a long look, and came over and said "Is this Bo, now Jack?" She had pulled Jack as part of the SPCA from his previous home!!! And she had gotten a copy of the email update I sent to the SPCA so knew about his name change.

So we got a fuller story about his history. Including that he was being terrorized by a pomeranian in that home and was so frightened of dogs when the SPCA first took him in (his owner was listing him on Craig's List) that he was actually dog aggressive in defense. I'd never have guessed that seeing him now. They did a great job of calming him down and he played well. One female bully breed was a little pushy and he did eventually get annoyed with her. His response was to continue to poke at and try to dominate her, though she outweighed him at least 50% and could just give him a shove and be done with him.

This information has also helped explain his reaction to cats. When they get aggressive, he gets very agitated.

The Gentle Leader harness is working wonders. He really hated the headcollar version and it was very hard on his nose. But the harness works perfectly and he's been on several long walks with it.

Signed up for Basic Obedience class starting at the beginning of November. I think he will enjoy it. If he does, we are considering taking him to an agility class as he's leggy and very very fast and I think he'd like the mental challenge.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Founding Member

Hey Natalie - I was so looking for an update on Jack! Isn't it nice to get a background on him? I am so glad to hear that he is fitting in well - how are the kitties fairing? Got gates? Jody
Old 10-19-2008, 07:27 PM

Natalie, he is adorable. He has such a gentle look about him. Albeit he's full of energy, I'm sure that he will do little things that will remind you of Chris and make you smile again.

Hopefully the cat's will adjust to the "chase the cat" games. TJ still does it every morning, but I think Smokey looks forward to it.

((Hugs)) to the new addition Jack.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9diabetes View Post
Signed up for Basic Obedience class starting at the beginning of November.
Natalie - before you actually take Jack into a class, please watch one or more classes given by your trainer. If corrections are used (jerking on leashes, scolding the dog) - I'd ask for a refund, and find another trainer. These days, the "positive trainers" have developed punishment-free training methods, and those work best with ANY dog, without risking emotional damage to the dog.

If you're in a fairly well-populated area there is probably more than one good trainer somewhere not too far away from you.

Here's a lead to punishment-free training; you'll find others as well on my web site; many are linked to from the following page:

http://www.coherentdog.org/nopunish.php

Jack is SO GORGEOUS, and I just loved it that you were able to learn more of his history, Natalie. After being here something over a month, I know for absolute certain that Jack now has only the very best of homes - and DogMums! He is a wonderful tribute to Chris's memory.

Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:28:54
Old 10-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Carol,

It's a positive training only class put on by the SPCA. Just five people per class too. And we have an orientation before bringing the dogs.

Natalie
Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Founding Member

He'll love the agility class, you will be so proud !!
Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday
Old 10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Founding Member

Natalie,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! He is so adorable - I love that face. So happy for you. Hugs to all of you.

Luv,
Lynne and Lady

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart