River didn't make it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: River didn't make it...

Thank you for your support. I'd love to tell everyone about him.
    We actually bought River so our other dog, Mia (she's now.. 10 or 11 years old, Italian greyhound), would have a friend. I remember going to the breeders house to pick out one of the puppies. I was IMMEDIATELY drawn to River. He was one of the only 2 that was just the white and red color. He was also the smallest little runt of the litter. The whole car ride home he did not want to leave my lap, no matter how much my brother and sister tried to get him to give THEM some love. Mia was a crazy little girl, full of energy and loves absolutely everyone she meets. River has always been a little more timid of people. But he always felt a little more outgoing when I was next to him it seemed like. Potty training was hilarious. We put a gate around an area of the floor that he was only allowed to go until he learned to use the doggy door. We would all go upstairs to bed but shortly after hear his sad puppy cries from downstairs. I'd go check on him and find him literally climbing the gate to get over. I wish I had a picture of that, it was adorable. Once he was potty trained, he slept with me every night from then on.
    Fast forward a few years. My parents decided to get divorced. We all took it differently. River felt like the only thing in the world I could lean on. The only thing stable. He helped me through it. I cried every weekend I had to go to my mom's and had to leave him behind. At one point, my sister moved out, I had turned 18 and decided to stay with my dad permanently, and my mom had custody of my younger brother for half the year. My dad had started dating again and was staying with his girlfriend (now wife) a majority of the time. I was home alone with my dogs. We grew an even closer friendship.
    I moved out of my dad's a year ago into an apartment that was not pet friendly. I had to go back to my dad's every night and just play with River because I could not bear to be away from him. We eventually got sick of that apartment a few months in and decided to leave. My grandparents have an extra house they were wanting to rent, so it worked out perfectly for us. I got to take my little River with me now and cuddle with him all night again! I was so happy. He followed me everywhere. I tried to wash dishes, he's under my feet. I try to shower, he's jumping in right behind me. I couldn't even use the bathroom without him following me in. He loved when I'd go chase him around the yard and throw him sticks (that he would never return of course). He loved running around in the snow. He always knew when I was sad or sick and would come lay by me and give me lots of kisses. He loved tennis balls, even though I wouldn't let him have them anymore since he insisted on tearing them apart every time. I even trained him to attack my boyfriend's foot every time I said 'ow!' when he'd pick on me. He was definitely my protector and a mamma's boy
    I miss him so very much already. I can't stand coming home and not being greeted by a wagging little stubb and a skeaky cry of excitement. I feel so bad for him for having to leave like this. He was such a sweetheart and I can't handle thinking about what he must have been feeling and thinking about being hooked up to all these tubes and left with strange people. I hope there was some sort of comfort for him. I hope he knows how much I love his little furry bum.
    My brain is going 90 mph and all different directions right now, but hopefully you can see a little bit of what a wonderful friend he was to me. Again, thank you for being here for me everyone. This was not the purpose I intended on joining this site for, but I really do appreciate all your support though this devastating time I'm stuck in right now anyway.
    RIP baby boy. Mamma loves you forever and ever. I can't wait to see you again someday.

Comment

Oh Brooke! I am SO upset that you lost River! What a sweet little boy he was! I can imagine how he must have just looked up at you so often! You are very lucky (as was he) to have a baby like him. Our babies get us thru so many things. I recently have suffered from major depression and would not have made it thru every day if it weren't for my Hank. HE'S the reason I get out of bed each day so I understand how you felt about River during your parent's divorce. They are the rock we lean on. I'm sure he wasn't alone when he passed....vet people love animals, too ...that's why they do the jobs they do. Keep remembering the good things and yes, someday you WILL see him again..and won't THAT be a happy day! Hugs from me and extra puppy kisses from my Hank!
      Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Brooke I'm so sorry. You definitely painted a clear picture of your little shadow River. He was a cutie who obviously loved you a lot. Big hugs to you. Judi
        Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Brooke
          I am so very sorry for you- what a smart, loving little guy- and you will see him again.
          Jj
          Eddie is a 14yr old Rat Terrier Who is very well loved.

Love, Released and All promises kept. My Heart, My Heart, My Heart

Comment

Brooke -
            I'm so sorry to hear about River. It sounds like you did all you could for him and I'm sure he knows that. Thank you for sharing his story. Holli
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I'm so very sorry Brooke.....
              Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Brooke - what a wonderful story of River's life with you. I just loved reading it. There's nothing like having such a devoted dog to be yours, and your devotion to him also shines in your story.

Thanks so much for writing that beautiful tribute to River! I'm still going to be here, in case you feel like writing more, as you remember the good times with him.

I've lost quite a few dogs in my time, as I'm Quite Olde, so understand your feelings. Don't be afraid to cry for him; grief takes time. It's worst for the first few weeks, but after that, memories of the good times begin to come along to give you a good boost.

So please stay in touch with us! His pictures show how gorgeous he is! If you have more, you can post more pictures, too.

BIG HUGS!
                Mon, 26 Mar 2012 05:59:46 (PDT)
                http://www.coherentdog.org/
                CarolW

Comment

So sorry Brooke.
                  Maggie, 70 lb golden Lab. dx 12/30/11 w/d kibble with a little canned innova, boiled chicken pieces after shot for treat.. starting on Levemir 3 units. 2/25/12

Comment

Brooke, I am so very sorry for your loss. It's so apparent how much River was loved. Thank you for sharing your story with us. His pictures are just precious.
                    Lifting you up,
                    Patty
                    Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Brooke, I was so saddened to come to the board this morning and see your news about River. I'm so sorry for your loss of your best friend.

Time heals all wounds although very slowly, so don't rush through it, cry and let it all out...and visit with us here when you need support!

He is running free and will meet you at the Bridge. I loved his pictures, he looks so handsome and devilish!! Such a cutie

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Although I did not post yesterday, I read your story early in the evening. We lost Ruffles rather suddenly, too, and are certain something other than diabetes was going on.

Glad you found us and hope you stay around. As someone said, your stories about River are a great tribute to him. You and he were lucky to have each other.

I am looking forward to a great reunion with all our furry friends who are waiting at Rainbow Bridge!!!

{{{hugs}}}

Mary
                        Ruffles May 1997~~12/6/2010~~She was "a heartbeat at our feet"~~
                        Izzy--BD unknown;~~ RIP 7/13/2013 ~~; she was a sweet Yorkie spirit and we miss her
                        Bella--Yorkie rescue; BD 9/2013 +/-; RIP 5/2015
                        Ruby--senior Yorkiepoo foster

Comment

I'm so sorry Brooke... Put faith in knowing your sweet River is now running pain free at the bridge

Sandy

Comment

Thank you for your support everyone. My family and I just laid him to rest in the backyard where he grew up. One of the hardest days of my life.

Comment

I'll be looking forward to any more stories, as they occur to you.

R.I.P., Sweet River! Say hi to Kwali and Kumbi for me, at the Bridge!

Mon, 26 Mar 2012 13:04:23 (PDT)
                              http://www.coherentdog.org/
                              CarolW

Comment

Oh, I know some of you were asking about he possible had another problem going on. Doctor said that it was just ketoacidosis (spelling?). Basically, we just didn't catch the diabetes early enough to start treatment and his body became toxic to himself. So, if anyone out there is reading this, unsure of whether or not your sweet dog has something wrong.. Just GO to your vet. NOW. It's better to be safe than sorry. No matter how small you think it is. If your dog's behavior changes, it doesn't hurt to just go get it checked out. I hope River's story can help someone out there, wondering what to do. And save another precious furry friend's life. I know when the time comes I possibly could think of wanting another dog, I'm going to watch him like a hawk.

Comment

Working...
                                X