Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Chris - 14 years old - Cancer diagnosed July 08

Natalie,

I am so very sorry to hear about Chris. I know that whatever you decide to do will be the right thing for Chris. Know that we're all here for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Hugs to you and Chris.

Luv,
    Lynne and Lady
    Luv,

Lynne and Angel Lady 7/98-3/09 Forever in my heart

Comment

How's it going Natalie???

Hang in there. We are in the same boat so paddling upstream should be a bit easier?

Did you get a survival time with this cancer?
      Denise, Bogie (diabetic, cushings, now cancer), Molly (diabetic)
      Reba (Cushings) and the other 12 cats and 4 dogs.

Comment

Hey Denise,

We don't know whether Chris' lung nodules are primary or metasteses from somewhere else. Primary starting in the lung isn't very likely but could happen.

Hemangiosarcoma is one possibility - would have started in the heart or spleen (or skin, though no sign of an external tumor) with hemangio and frequently spreads to the lung. My understanding is that hemangiosarcoma is very aggressive and spreads early and quickly.

At this point we aren't willing to put Chris through the tests to determine what the cancer is. His heart is barely functional - his resting heart rate lately has been 200, sometimes higher, and even an ultrasound generates a fair amount of stress.

He's had back x-rays, a stomach ultrasound that saw some of his colon and bladder a few weeks ago, and an abdominal ultrasound a couple of months ago so anything new would have to be fast moving. The last heart ultrasound was April.

We did do bloodwork and a UA just to see how things are looking there. But even being put on his back and held for the needle collection of the urine (I was with him) was stressful.

Long story short... could be tomorrow, could be a few months.

The oncologist did confirm that the small lesions in his lungs would not be painful. She feels like his current discomfort may not be cancer-related.

I'm going to try giving him an Amantadine today - it piggybacks on the Metacam to boost the pain relief. His back and right leg definitely hurt him.

I don't know about you, but my mood shifts with every little change in Chris. Friday he had a good day so I felt pretty good. Today he's not as chipper so neither am I.

Sending a big hug to you and to Bogie,

Natalie

Comment

Wonder if the leg and back pain could mean it's in the bladder and or prostate? NOt knowing doesn't feel good, seems we like answers but I understand your not putting him through it. I've had sick cats that when breathing was a issue it about killed them to be held on their backs for xrays and I felt soooo bad.

When an exact dx can be made so you know how to treat the ailment then you put them through more but I don't see doing any further tests on Bogie except UA's. I wish there was a blood test that could tell us how things were going.

I have Bogie in a belly band and fem pad and it's nice since I can hold him without getting peed on and he isn't needing to be washed up several times a day. I will be taking pics, video and am keeping a journal. The journal was recommended by someone that lost a golden to cancer last year. He said it helped a lot.

I would like to make memories but he needs to feel a bit better than he is right now.

Call if you want to talk. I understand the mood thing and am already tired of comparing one day to another based on how he is feeling. It's not how I want to remember him.

Comment

Hi Natalie,

I just read about the trip to the Oncologist, it sounds like you have a good team working with you.

I believe we are put here to support them as long as it makes sense for them and I think that is what you believe also.

I hope Chris enjoys as much hamburger helper and other special meals as he can eat.

Best wishes from ours to yours.

Scott

Comment

Nat, check out the products at www.onlynaturalpet.com I was just reading about several for use in cancer dogs and cats. I ordered Bogie some te other day but want to add the one with inostisol (sp). It's supposed to help build up healthy cells to kill of the bad cells.

Bogie is now getting Transfer Factor, Tinkle Tonic, B vitamins liquid that he loves the taste of but boy it smells! Digestive enzymes, fiber, his anti inflammatory and have one for prostate coming and one for immune.

I used to try and add one thing at a time but now's not that time!

Comment

Oh Nat, its so hard for me to be strong as I write this, I feel so bad about Chris, the worse part is we feel so helpless.

I feel so bad I haven't been to the board, with just losing my Chief, I can't get past it.

I feel your pain and know you will do what you think is best. I don't know what words to say, our doggies are so much a part of our hearts.

I know what Chris has been thru over the years, your little soldier.

Its so hard to hear that diagnois and keep yourself together.

I am at a loss for words, please know I am thinking of you and Chris and hope you are OK

Me and Niki love you, Give Chris a big hug for me.

Nat you are the best.
                Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Natale ..
                  There are no words to express how sad I am with this news about Chris....
                  I know how much you love him , and will do what ever it takes to see that his quality of life is the best it can be....
                  Big smooches and hugs
                  to Chris...
                  LOL
                  Johanna & Killian

Comment

Hi Nat,

Just thinking of you and Chris today.
                    Dolly & Niki passed 2010, 45 lb Border Collie Mix 8 yrs as diabetic, 13yrs old. Blind N 10.5 U 2 X * Dog is God spelled backwards*If there are no dogs in Heaven then when I die I want to go where they went. Niki's food Orijen & Turkey & Gr. Beans, See you at the bridge my beloved & cherished Niki, I miss you everyday

Comment

Just checking on you and Chris Hope he is having a good day and not a bad one Hugs from Pebbles and I
                      Marianne and canines: Jasmine( diabetic since 4/10) Puma,Harley,Sebastian,Sophie and cats: Yoda,Sabrina and Cleo. Also Baby Boy (my cockatiel) & Angel Pebbles

Comment

B vitamins liquid that he loves the taste of but boy it smells!
                        Denise, Chris was starting to refuse his Metacam liquid so I mixed it with the contents of a fish oil capsule and now he laps it up... his breath could knock you over afterward.
                        ___

Today was not Chris' best day. It's hot and a little smoky so that's probably not helping. He's not panting, just lethargic and low energy. He actually had a good weekend and has only been blah that past 36 hours or so.

Hard to know if the Amantadine is why he's down in the dumps. I'll give it a few more days and if he doesn't perk up I'll drop it and see if that helps.

I do think the Amantadine is relieving some of his back pain so I hope it isn't bothering his stomach or causing a sensitivity reaction.

His kidney values aren't great either. His creatinine went up to 3.1 (from 2.1 in April) and the BUN went to 57 (from 34 in April) plus his urine specific gravity dropped from 1.038 to 1.021, which is marginal. Maybe mostly the little bit of Lasix he has. He was drinking and urinating more at that point when the tests were done than he is now.

Have been trying to arrange for someone who can do an at home euthanasia if it comes to that. I talked to a mobile vet yesterday who is willing and able and seems nice and I'm hoping to check the situation out with vets I know just to be sure there's no problem with that person as a resource. I hope we won't have to do it but want to be prepared so we can do it at home if we have to do it. It would require some time to arrange.

Ugh...

I don't like days like today when he's down in the dumps. His heart rate this morning was 231. It's like some twisted race to see which organ fails first.

Every time I talked to someone about it today, I made it through the conversation, hung up the phone, and then lost it.

Natalie

Comment

Natalie,
                          I do understand about the down days and how hard it can be. I am hoping you can have lots of the good ones to enjoy. You are amazingly strong but nobody can keep a brave face on all the time, it has a habit of slipping when you least expect it.
                          Jenny & Buddy

Comment

Oh Nat I know you are not Ok, I don't know what to say and know how heartbreaking all of this is.

Just checking in on you and Chris
                            Last edited by eyelostit; 07-23-2008, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Natalie,

I feel like I'm right there beside you. I know how hard this is. I sat down beside Crissy Ann this morning and gave her shot and just the way she looked at me, started my tears. I told her how very much I loved her and that if she felt it was time to go meet Dinky, it was OK and she should just go. That 'Mommy' would be alright. That I'd have a broken heart but would love her until the day I died.

I so hope that neither you nor I will have to make that final call.

Hope Chris perks up and has a wonderful day and can enjoy a hammie.

Hugs,
                              Bonnie and Crissy

Comment

Good Morning Natalie: Thinking of you this morning and reading your updates. I'm one who likes to be prepared also, so good that you are making those phone calls. It was so hard to make that dreaded decision when I looked at Taffy each day - and when I knew on that fateful day that it was here - I had to do it quickly, so opted to take her in. She was pretty mobile at the time, which helped alot.

I remember making those calls too - I hung up on many people because of that lump in my throat that just appeared out of no where.

Scritches to Chris - I hope he has a good day, and you too! Love, Jody

Comment

Working...
                                X