Bailey got his wings... June 26, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Geoff: A question about meter problem

Hello, I have finally obtained a blood sample from Bailey! I did indeed lance by hand. However, whilst this is great (and it really is great as I have been struggling for weeks!) I tried tonight with no luck. Last night when I lanced by hand I got a rather large drop of blood and got the meter onto it, tonight, he probably felt like a pin cushion and I could only obtain much smaller samples. Not sure why or what I did differently! The lancets are softclix 28 gauge and I pushed it in all the way, not sure if I twisted it or not.

In any event I am going to keep down this path as he simply will not let me near his mouth to lance. Still, I got blood from his tail/body junction. Perhaps a larger lancet would be better (I hear it can be) however I cannot find any online in Australia, I will try a chemist but they mostly sell softclix or multiclix etc lancets.

Thanks for all your replies I feel I am making some progress!
    Geoff
    Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

that is excellent news Geoff! hooray for blood!!
      Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

That's definitely progress! Congrats Hope the chemist can order some for you if they don't have them.
        Patty and Ali 13.5yrs 47lbs diagnosed May '08 Ali earned her wings October 27, 2012, 4 months after diagnosis of a meningioma ~ Time is precious ~

Comment

Hooray! You did it! And no worries..you'll do it again! I'm surprised you haven't been able to find any larger lancets online. Is it possible to order from outside of Australia? The cost would probably be thru the roof tho. I hope the chemist can help you out! Good luck! Hugs!
          Shell and Hank (aka Mr. Pickypants) - now deceased (4/29/1999 - 12/4/2015) Cairn Terrier mix who was diagnosed 8/18/2011 and on .75 U Levemir 2Xday. Miss you little man!

Comment

Hello, thanks for the encouraging words! I have found home 23 Gauge lancets online in Australia, they are:
            Gauge: 23G Depth: 1.8mm
            Blood Volume Range: 30μL – 75μL

Not sure if they are deep enough and they are a device, not a separate lancet.

I have attached a link below for thoughts comments. I did ask if they have any 26 gauge but they did not.

http://www.medshop.com.au/unistik-3.html
            Geoff & Bailey - 15 September 2002 - 26 June 2014 - Went to the rainbow bridge. He will be sorely missed - Love you Bailey 11 y/o Spoodle dx Dec 2011 - 18 units of Protaphane, 5 units of Humalog, on Prednefrine Forte for his cataracts and Cosopt for his glaucoma

Comment

Good luck Geoff, best move you can make, home testing.
              Tara in honor of Ruby.
              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
                Hello, thanks for the encouraging words! I have found home 23 Gauge lancets online in Australia, they are:
                Gauge: 23G Depth: 1.8mm
                Blood Volume Range: 30μL – 75μL

Not sure if they are deep enough and they are a device, not a separate lancet.

I have attached a link below for thoughts comments. I did ask if they have any 26 gauge but they did not.

http://www.medshop.com.au/unistik-3.html
                I have used a similar item. They are a all-in-one lancet. The needle and device (clicker) are one piece. Nice, but very expensive compared to "standard" lancets.
                Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

OK, I have just ordered a box of 100 Unilet AT0455 needles which are 23G hand held lancets for $15 delivered. I hope this gauge it not too thick. I could not find 26, surely there cannot be a massive difference between 26 and 23 anyhow? I am no expert! Thanks,

Geoff

Comment

See if this link works.

http://www.ec21.com/company/k/ktcbox...ownload_-2.jpg

Jenny

Comment

It does yes thanks. Negligible difference. Hopefully it works ok. Cheers!

Comment

OK, I have just ordered a box of 100 Unilet AT0455 needles which are 23G hand held lancets for $15 delivered. I hope this gauge it not too thick. I could not find 26, surely there cannot be a massive difference between 26 and 23 anyhow? I am no expert! Thanks,

Geoff
                        Should be fine. I'm now using 25 gauge.
                        Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Well, this is crazy! I have tried the 23G lancets and still nothing! I am not sure what is going on. Should I pinch the skin between thumb and forefinger to make a fold then prick, or stretch the skin out with my fingers then prick? I can feel him wince slightly on the odd occasion when I prick him but overall he is taking it well, just no blood!!

I seem to have more luck with the 28G but they produce hardly anything.

Geoff

Comment

Update. Have got blood, high reading, will try and repeat in an hour. I pulled his skin as opposed to pinching.

Geoff

Comment

Update. Have got blood, high reading, will try and repeat in an hour. I pulled his skin as opposed to pinching.

Geoff
                              phew, good job on your perseverance. it will get easier. Glad he isn't giving you a hard time.
                              Tara in honor of Ruby.
                              She was a courageous Boston Terrier who marched right on through diabetes, megaesophagus, and EPI until 14.
                              Lucky for both of us we found each other. I'd do it all again girly.

Comment

Geoff,

Just a word of encouragement from me too. Just this morning I pricked Sadie's lip, got nothing then pricked her again less that 1/4 inch from the first location and got plenty of blood. Not sure why but my point is don't give up!

Judy (and Sadie)
                                Judy (and Sadie) ~ 12 yr. old Lab Mix |Weight: 62 lbs |Diabetes Dx (12/28/2011), Pancreatitis 1/2014 | Diet: 1 1/2c Flint River Ranch Senior Plus Formula with 1/2c Boiled chicken + 1/2c broth|Insulin: Novolin N 25 units 2x daily |Meds: Mirtazapine, Pepcid, Sucralfate, Tylan + B12 capsules | Meter: OneTouch Ultra2| BG Range: 150-404mg

Comment

Working...
                                X