Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humulin to Novalin?

Hi all,

My newfie, Spirit, has been on Humulin N for 4 years now....he is regulated with numbers running between 130-280 or so during the 12 hour cycle. He is happy, healthy and normal in all ways. Since he is only on 17 units 2x per day I do end up throwing out a bit of insulin since we use a bottle for 4 weeks and then switch.

I went to my local store to get Humulin yesterday and it shot up in price from $100 to $130.....We started with Humulin because Wal Mart had it at about the same price they now sell Novalin at. I've been very very hesitant to try Novalin because of the success he has had with Humulin N.

Can anyone share their experience? Do you use more Novalin or less when you switched....any input is appreciated.

Jim & Spirit.
    Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Re: Humulin to Novalin?

I noticed absolutely no change in Otis when we switched from Humulin N to ReliOn's Novolin N, when Walmart swapped them out..

As an aside, that's a helluva price gouge by either Lilly or your retailer. I suspect Lilly.
    Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

hi Jim

i used novolin for about a year switched to humulin for a brief time then back to novolin. he seemed to be better regulated on humulin. so were now using humulin great numbers. price is the same here for both
      Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
      20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

The price is the same as Novalin at WalMart? I tried K-mart, Wal-Mart and CVS and Walgreens....Humulin is always around $130 per vial....I thought Novalin was around $40 at Wal-Mart.
        Jim/Marijane & Spirit, Newfoundland, born Dec 22, 2007, 115lbs. DX Oct. 2011, 18.5 units Humulin 2x per day. Hills WD kibble, Hills WD can made into gravy, boiled chicken. Spirit passed on June 9, 2016 and it had nothing to do with diabetes.....farewell my buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by jim maceri View Post
          The price is the same as Novalin at WalMart? I tried K-mart, Wal-Mart and CVS and Walgreens....Humulin is always around $130 per vial....I thought Novalin was around $40 at Wal-Mart.
          Jim,

It's the Walmart house brand ReliOn insulin which is $24.88. It's Novolin just labeled ReliOn. Ask for ReliOn insulin. I'm surprised the pharmacist didn't tell you.

http://relion.com/products/relionnov...-insulin-n-inj

ReliOn®/Novolin® Human Insulin N INJ

Price: $24.88
          Last edited by farrwf; 06-17-2015, 11:33 AM.
          Otis Farrell dx'd 12/10, best friend to his dad, Bill, for over 14 years. Left this world while in his dad’s loving arms 10/04/13. Sonny Farrell dx'd 1/14, adopted 5/15/14. Left this world while in his dad's loving arms 9/06/16. Run pain free, you Pug guys, til we're together again.

Comment

If you have a Walgreens near by try calling them. I believe they offer a savings card plan for around 20.00 a year and then discount the cost of the insulin. Most levemir users go to Walgreens to save on costs but I'm pretty sure they discount the humulin too.
            Holli & Decker // diagnosed November 5th, 2011 // Journeyed to the bridge January 26th, 2013, surrounded by his family at home // 9 years old // Levemir insulin // Hypothyroid // C1-C5 cervical spinal lesion // weight 87 lbs // Run with the wind my sweet boy. Run pain free. Holding you close in my heart till we meet again!

Comment

I saw really no difference when I went from Novolin-N to Humulin-N and back to Novolin-N as Walmart switched their suppliers over the past 6 years. There might be a very minor difference, but nothing that I could identify.

I think when Mo said Novolin & Humulin were the same price she was referring to her price in Canada which is different than here in the U.S.

Craig
              Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

Spirit is a lot like Maggie in that he seems pretty sensitive to insulin. We switched over to Novolin and I saw a small difference so I give her 1/2 unit less. The duration seems to be better with Novolin but it is not a major change - I get maybe an hour more out of it.
                Maggie - 15 1/2 y/o JRT diagnosed 9/2007, Angel status on 6/20/16. Her mantra was never give up but her body couldn't keep up with her spirit. Someday, baby.......

Comment

Wow.....$24.88 that 4 to 1 !!!!!

Ok, I've got 2 more bottles of Humulin in the fridge so when that runs out I'll make the switch. Since spirit LOVES testing so much it will make for a nice comparison since he's only been on Humulin.

He is VERY sensitive to insulin but he always starts going up about 10 hours in so if we get another hour out of the "control" on Novalin that would be great. I wonder if I should cut back about a half unit to see how he does when we make the switch. I'm with him pretty much 24/7 so I should know in the first week if he will need more or less but I guess we will err on the side of safety and drop back to 16.5 units when we make the switch.

Comment

I think with Jenny we noticed a little bit of a difference right away but then her body adjusted and her Novolin dose was the same as her Humulin dose. I know you will keep a close eye on Spirit.

When she had pancreatitis and had to spend the night at the ER vet and the day at our Fargo vet, I ok'd him buying a bottle of insulin for her for the day (they are 60 miles from me), and they bought Humulin, and charged me something like $160 or so for it. I could have paid a teenager to pick a bottle up at Walmart and drive it over there LOL
                    Jenny: 6/6/2000 - 11/10/2014 She lived with diabetes and cushings for 3 1/2 years. She was one of a kind and we miss her.

Comment

Ok, using my last bottle of $120 Humulin and just picked up 2 bottles of $24.99 Novalin. First off, WOW, it will be nice to get a whole year of insulin for the cost of 3 bottles of Humulin. Now comes the hard part. Spirit has been truly regulated for 3 of his 4 years as a diabetic and done very well.

I just want to check in one more time to alleviate my worries of "am I doing the right thing". Currently Spirit is on 17 units of Humulin. My vet and the pharmacist have said to stick to that dose and just test as usual. Truth is the REAL wisdom is right here. So if any of you who have made the switch can give me a bit of advice ONE MORE TIME.....LOL I would really appreciate it.

I'm thinking maybe I should drop back to 16.5 units to start. As most of you know Spirit is tested daily 4-6 times even when things are good and more when he throws me curve balls. So I will be testing and I just value the input of my friends here because if it weren't for this site, we would never have survived the last 4 years.

Jim & Spirit

Comment

i think droping back a bit is prudent

i think the 16.5 is ok i might go to 16 but since he is on a relatively low dose for his size he should be ok at 16.5

i have done the switch 3 times with jesse no real problems maybe some subtle changes but as you know is hard to know if the changes were from the insulin or just the normal things that can happen

good luck i think 99 % of people made the switch with no problems of coarse thats not scientific but i believe reflects the forum members who have made the switch
                        Jesse-26 lbs - 16.5 years old ,11 years diabetic, one meal a day homemade and a vitabone snack . 3 shots of Novolin( under the Relion name ) a day . Total insulin for a 24 hour period is 6.5 units of NPH insulin .
                        Jesse earned her wings on 6/21/2021

Comment

I've gone from Novolin-N to Humulin-N and back to Novolin-N over the last 6 years. The dosage has been the same before / after the switch. I did back off one unit each time for safety, but the next day I'd be back at the previous dosage. Since you test several times a day, and understand what to do in case of a lower than wanted reading, id just make the switch.

Craig
                          Annie was an 18 pound Lhasa Apso that crossed the rainbow bridge on 10-5-17. She was nearly 17 years old and diabetic for 9½ years.

Comment

The previous answers are perfect. I used to travel back and forth between Canada and Texas every six months. Couldn't get Novolin in Canada at the time, so switched from Humulin to Novolin, back and forth numerous times.

Though I never saw any difference, and never changed doses, it doesn't hurt to cut back a slight amt, you are testing and will know any difference right away.

Let us know how you make out, but rest assured that many of us have changed without catastrophe.

Comment

hi Jim

i have rotated back and forthe between the two nph without changing Riley,s dose. were currently on humulin. when changing from caninsulin or vetinsulin is different as nph is more concentrated. spirit wont feel the change Riliey didnt
                              Riliey . aka Ralphy, Alice, Big Boy
                              20 lb male. 5 1/2 nph insulin. 1/2 cup fromms. black cockapoo, dx Apr 2012 . 5 1\2 yrs diabetic. 2000 to 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X